Howl of Fear

Wyrm Ouroboros

Re: Howl of Fear

To create an effect where the "defense" is Joining The Hunt add NND: Defense Is Joining The Hunt. Circumvents PCs with Power Defense from being completely unaffected.

Good suggestion.

As for the Area. Try Area Of Effect: Voice Range (Ultimate Energy Projector p29-30; Character Creation Handbook p296).

Second time you've suggested this. Second time I'll be asking, 'okay, so what is AoE: Voice Range'? What's it worth? +1? You seem to be indicating that its standard range is 20" -- is that generally circular, relatively cone-shaped ...?

No, I don't have the book(s); I get by with the Main. (Regular 5th Edition, come to think of it.)

Any case. The average wolf howl can be heard for more than two km...

Good suggestion.

Second time you've suggested this. Second time I'll be asking, 'okay, so what is AoE: Voice Range'? What's it worth? +1? You seem to be indicating that its standard range is 20" -- is that generally circular, relatively cone-shaped ...?

No, I don't have the book(s); I get by with the Main. (Regular 5th Edition, come to think of it.)

Any case. The average wolf howl can be heard for more than two km...

Add:

Area Of Effect (Radius). Incantations. No Range.

Talk to the GM, is the suggested default 20" Radius acceptable, too small, too large. That's ~131 Feet. Or you could go with the standard 1"/10 Active Points (which will probably be considerably less than 20"). +1/4 on AoE doubles that.

It's a nice little construct if you ask me.

... okay, third time's the charm.

What is the Advantage Value for the Area of Effect (Range) advantage?

You add the following Advantages and Limitations:

Area Of Effect (Radius).

Incantations.

No Range.

It's not an Advantage in and of itself, it's an Optional use of AoE.

There really isn't "Presence Defense" anymore. You simply buy Limited Presence (PRE; Only Vs PRE Attacks). Which merely makes it harder (or rather take longer) for the Hunt to affect you. Besides, the Defense to Drain is Power Defense :)

To create an effect where the "defense" is Joining The Hunt add NND: Defense Is Joining The Hunt. Circumvents PCs with Power Defense from being completely unaffected.

As for the Area. Try Area Of Effect: Voice Range (Ultimate Energy Projector p29-30; Character Creation Handbook p296).

Yep, I meant Pow Def.

I'd be very wary of allowing the suggestion for the defence to NND both because I don;t think it is strictly rules legal (not that that bothers me too much) but also because , whilst anyone can do it, it is not much of a choice - you succumb to the power one way or another.

Still, nice idea for an NPS thing where the point of the scenario is to give them Hobson's Choice.

The default is suggested to be 20" - however see The Range Of Senses in 5ER p349 for more information on the topic.

The AoE: Voice Range Option involves the use of the Incantations Limitation. If you cannot hear the Incantations for whatever reason (like being deaf) it has no effect. Apply Common and Dramatic Sense Here.

The Incantations Limitation does not speak to the ability of the target to hear the Incantations, only that the attacker use incantations to activate the power. A deaf person can still be struck by the wizard's Fireball spell after all. An additional Limitation of "Only Vs Targets that Hear The Incantations" would seem to be appropriate.

The Incantations Limitation does not speak to the ability of the target to hear the Incantations' date=' only that the attacker use incantations to activate the power. A deaf person can still be struck by the wizard's Fireball spell after all. An additional Limitation of "Only Vs Targets that Hear The Incantations" would seem to be appropriate.[/quote']

The Voice Range AoE is basically an interesting interpretation of the combination of Advantages and Disadvantages. It does effectively prevent the Power from being used on those who cannot hear.

I personally think it's an interesting way to use the rules.

Right -- next project.

DRAGON fear.

I'm thinking it'd just do as a PRE attack, but you can have it happen just by flying overhead -- without any real attempt on the dragon's part. +X PRE, Fear Only, Always On? I don't want to link it to the Flight, because then he couldn't use it when he WAS trying to frighten someone...

The problem is that, AFAIK, the only way to get the effect of a PRE attack, is to *do* a PRE attack. Change Environment can lower the effective PRE of the targets of an attack, but it can't cause the effect of an attack.

So the only way I know of of causing Fear (and the resultant reactions) just by being around is with a Mind Control with appropriate advantages/limitations.

Reputation 14- "Big Lizard That Will Eat You."

Anyone making that roll should automatically get a bit scared.

PRE Attacks are 0-Phase Actions, the Dragon needs merely stand there (doesn't even have to be his Phase) and BAM! "I R Awesome."

And then there's Roleplaying.

If you have a very specific set of mechanical things you expect to happen there's always Change Enivronment.

The problem is that, AFAIK, the only way to get the effect of a PRE attack, is to *do* a PRE attack. Change Environment can lower the effective PRE of the targets of an attack, but it can't cause the effect of an attack.

So the only way I know of of causing Fear (and the resultant reactions) just by being around is with a Mind Control with appropriate advantages/limitations.

Good point: although PRE is constant/persistent, PRE attacks are instant, so you could:

40 PRE (continuous +1) Only for making PRE attacks (-1): 40 points real/ 80 active

Yeah, I thought of the Continuous/Always On -- I think I'd take it as the Always On disad, because considering it'd usually be for Fear, there're times you don't WANT them to be afraid of you. Though you could just do it as straight PRE, and then it's whatever you want it to be at the time. They walk in to your audience hall, they're impressed; they face you in a fight, they're intimidated.

The Trigger I thought of as well, but wasn't entirely certain about, as I'm not sure how the whole 'automatically resets' stuff works into the advantages.

Yeah, I thought of the Continuous/Always On -- I think I'd take it as the Always On disad, because considering it'd usually be for Fear, there're times you don't WANT them to be afraid of you. Though you could just do it as straight PRE, and then it's whatever you want it to be at the time. They walk in to your audience hall, they're impressed; they face you in a fight, they're intimidated.

The Trigger I thought of as well, but wasn't entirely certain about, as I'm not sure how the whole 'automatically resets' stuff works into the advantages.

Automatically Resets means just that - as soon as the Trigger trips it resets itself. A Trigger built that way may trip as often as the Trigger Conditions are met in a Segment.

Reputation 14- "Big Lizard That Will Eat You."

Anyone making that roll should automatically get a bit scared.

PRE Attacks are 0-Phase Actions, the Dragon needs merely stand there (doesn't even have to be his Phase) and BAM! "I R Awesome."

And then there's Roleplaying.

If you have a very specific set of mechanical things you expect to happen there's always Change Enivronment.

True, a bad reputation can cause unease, but it's not a free Presence Attack.

Presence Attacks are actions which take no time, which is better than Zero-Phase. :)

Change Environment doesn't cause a Presence Attack. It can cause a Characteristic Roll (like a DEX Roll for "a sheet of ice"), but a PRE Roll is not the same as receiving a PRE Attack.

Good point: although PRE is constant/persistent, PRE attacks are instant, so you could:

40 PRE (continuous +1) Only for making PRE attacks (-1): 40 points real/ 80 active

Huh? I have no idea why one would put Continuous on Presence.

You could even buy a trigger advantage for your PRE: being seen :)

Um, no. :) Trigger specifically says "The curcumstance that activates a Triggered power must be easily verifiable, and cannot depend upon any Senses the character does not possess."

And I doubt that PRE + Trigger would make for a Presence Attack, based upon the ruling from Steve that REC + Trigger doesn't give a Recovery.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58875&highlight=trigger

Total Trigger Advantage Cost: +3/4 Trigger automatically resets as a 0-Phase action' date=' activating Trigger is a 0-Phase action.[/quote']

It's +3/4 if the character does not control activation of a personal Trigger. If the character does control the activation (i.e., he can choose to *not* have it activate) then it's +1.