What do I need??

bull44

Hello folks. I am new to the forums as well as the HERO gaming system. Actually I think I have one of the older editions of Fantasy Hero out in the garage on a shelf someplace, but it has been some time since I thumbed through it's pages. I keep hearing good things about the system so I am thinking about taking the plunge. I am getting very tired of the whole d20 thing, I still play it but it just seems to have something missing IMO.

Ok so now for my questions. Am I safe in assuming that I will need the HERO 5th edition rules as well as Fantasy Hero in order to truely be able to enjoy and run a game?? Or can I just use the Fantasy Hero rules? Silly questions I know but I am trying to decide how much money this little venture is going to cost me and if it will be worth trying. I wish that the area I live in supported more gamers, I might stand a chance of finding a HERO group then, but alas it's a fairly heavy d20 gaming community right now. So I am going to be acting as a trail blazer as far as HERO goes.

Alright enough of that. Thanks in advance for any information that you folks may provide me with. Take care.:cool:

My advice to you would be to buy Hero 5th and, when you can, the new Fantasy Hero.

Then go out to your garage and pull out the old rulebook.

Bear heavily in mind that there will be many, many changes from the old rules, mostly in how spells (Powers) are handled. But reread the first edition FH book to learn how to play the system.

Once you've done that, then jump into 5th edition.

To be honest, you could go with first edition Fantasy Hero (I assume that's the one you have, because you mentioned rules) and play it and enjoy it thoroughly. But when you read Hero 5th, you won't want to go back to previous editions.

Re: What do I need??

Originally posted by bull44

Am I safe in assuming that I will need the HERO 5th edition rules as well as Fantasy Hero in order to truely be able to enjoy and run a game?? Or can I just use the Fantasy Hero rules?:

bull44, I echo archer's words.

I would add that %th edition is tuned more to heroic level adventuring than earlier editions.

Plenty of help for the genre, package deals, magic items, characters will be available here on the Hero boards by we few, we happy few.

Thanks.

Wow nice to see such fast responses. Thanks for the input. I will get a copy of 5th edition ASAP and give it a look. For the money lets hope that it is good, although it sounds like it is well worth it from what everyone is saying. After doing some more reading myself I am noticing quite a few similarities between HERO and GURPS. I am hoping that by me saying that I will not be hung up by the neck, just an observation.

Hey lensman what part of SanJose to you live in?? I spent the first 11 years of my life living in Campbell. I used to hang out at the "Game Table" and "D & J Hobbies when I was younger. That was way back in the day though. I can remember when D & J was barely big enough to walk into. Just curious it's always cool to talk to folks from my old home town area.:D

Again thanks all for the feedback.

Ya man, I go back that far.

Game Table, now that was a while ago.

D & J still going but last I heard they are slimming down there considerable stockpiles.

Just off San Carlos, between Bascom and Race at the time I signed on to the board. Still go to the Century theaters right on Winchester, in fact will only see all the LOTR movies there.

Quick note: Two Towers was the first film there to sell out all showings on opening day.

Gurps is the SJG rip off of Hero. In no way will you get worked for making that observation. The shame belongs entirely with SJG.