Need Inspiration for GenCon Costume

Remjin

Okay, so I decided I wantedto make a slick costume for GenCon. I have an idea that's going to require some serious work, but I'm having trouble with some parts of the design.

Basically, I want to built a power suit/cyborg type of costume with styling cues from Appleseed and some comic books and even some sci-fi literature and movies. While I have a general plan for the overall construction, I am having trouble with what to do with the helmet/head. Any good imagery for this style thing would be great if anyone has suggestions, especially for the head/helmet. I want my face out of the picture, so its more cyborg than helmet.

To exclude some things, the costume should complete as about human size though a bit larger is being included in the design.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Re: Need Inspiration for GenCon Costume

Not QUITE what I was hoping for, as I'm looking to make something a bit more complicated than that, but still... some good information in there. The battletech mech was pretty amusing with the video, and oddly the creaking totally fit. =) I'm thinking more in line with Appleseed Orc armor, as that's what originally inspired it. I saw a lot of components I could replicate relatively simply and wanted to make a suit somewhat similar in design but with my own touches. Like Deunan, I didn't like the face. =) So I'm trying to figure out a different helmet and some other elements as well.

I'd LOVE to have a Jin-Roh style panzercop outfit, but it would require more time, money, and effort to make than I'm willing to put into it. The same goes for a Tau Fire Warrior outfit . . . although apart from the helmet, that might actually be easier.

Okay, thanks for the links. I bookmarked the cosplay section. The thing is that I'm not looking to make an anime suit, I just got the idea from one. =) And did you guys see the Gundam one? Wow. I could see too much of the wood, though.

I'm planning on combining a lot of elements I like from other designs into one total design. The cable sections and general plating on the Appleseed stuff worked for me, but not all of the various design elements were really that appealing.

I'm figuring on computer wire sleeves and automotive hose sleeving for any cable needs I may have, and a lot of mesh/chicken wire/wood with bondo to make plates, or possibly other materials. Then there will be the painting. Good thing I know a automotive body/paint guy. =) I'll have to look at the sight further. I was hoping for some alternate designs on head/helmet pieces, I can't seem to come up with one on my own that doesn't go wrong somewhere. I thought I had one for a little bit, then realized I'd drawn a freakin' Cylon. =/

The Panzer cop is interesting. I thought about going in that direction with the helmet, but decided I wanted something a bit slicker and less WW2 reminiscent. Once I get the armor done, I can get started on the weapons and such. That's gonna be tough, too, if I want any of the actions to work it'll just be more work.

I just had an idea, but its kind of weird, of going in a western theme... hmmm...

I'm figuring on computer wire sleeves and automotive hose sleeving for any cable needs I may have, and a lot of mesh/chicken wire/wood with bondo to make plates, or possibly other materials. Then there will be the painting. Good thing I know a automotive body/paint guy. =) I'll have to look at the sight further. I was hoping for some alternate designs on head/helmet pieces, I can't seem to come up with one on my own that doesn't go wrong somewhere. I thought I had one for a little bit, then realized I'd drawn a freakin' Cylon. =/

Speaking as a theatrical tech I will attempt to disuade you from the

chicken-wire and wood route. The potential weight issues could be

extreme. Might I suggest using heavy duty felt which (after being

cut to shape and placed over a rough body mold) you impregnate

with either A) bondo B) tinted white glue C) hot melt glue. For the

hot melt glue you'd use a double boiler and several bags of the

longer glue sticks. I sort of stole the hot melt idea from a site where

a cosplay person was using the stuff to cast parts for a suit of

Gyver Bio-Armor. The main site which includes that technique is:

http://www.bioweapons.com/BIOWEAPONS/Main.htm

And the hot melt (thermoform) casting page is:

http://www.bioweapons.com/ThermoForm.htm

You could also replace the industrial felt (think 'carpet padding') with

fine gauge window screen material. It holds a pretty good shape and

when laminated should be both light and sturdy. Mix both (felt and

window screening - with the screening on the outside) and you

provide a pretty solid 'tooth' for the paint/bondo/what-have-you to

stick to.....

And of course, if you have a nearby party/costume supply store you

could find some vacuformed armor pieces that would be cheap and

highly usable as the 'base' to build your creation on. Vacuformed

plastic with bondo on it....Hmmmmm.:think:

Ok...I seem to have been a bit pedantic. Sorry. I'm doing a consult

at a local high school this afternoon and I guess I'm already in that

particular mindset. :o

PM me if you want.... :)

-Carl-

extreme. Might I suggest using heavy duty felt which (after being

cut to shape and placed over a rough body mold) you impregnate

with either A) bondo B) tinted white glue C) hot melt glue. For the

hot melt glue you'd use a double boiler and several bags of the

longer glue sticks. I sort of stole the hot melt idea from a site where

a cosplay person was using the stuff to cast parts for a suit of

Gyver Bio-Armor. The main site which includes that technique is:

http://www.bioweapons.com/BIOWEAPONS/Main.htm

And the hot melt (thermoform) casting page is:

http://www.bioweapons.com/ThermoForm.htm

You could also replace the industrial felt (think 'carpet padding') with

fine gauge window screen material. It holds a pretty good shape and

when laminated should be both light and sturdy. Mix both (felt and

window screening - with the screening on the outside) and you

provide a pretty solid 'tooth' for the paint/bondo/what-have-you to

stick to.....

plastic with bondo on it....Hmmmmm.:think:

Ok...I seem to have been a bit pedantic. Sorry. I'm doing a consult

at a local high school this afternoon and I guess I'm already in that

particular mindset. :o

PM me if you want.... :)

-Carl-

Great ideas, I am not into costumes but I know a few people who have an interst and they will probably be able to use the links.

Thanks from the peanut gallery......;)

extreme. [snip]

plastic with bondo on it....Hmmmmm.:think: [snip]

Thank you so much for the resources there. Not sure if I want to go quite that route, but we'll have to see. Hardly something to ignore. I'm aware of some of the weight issues, so I'll definitely have to consider it. I had actually originally thought to sculpt the entire suit using various sculpting products, but it struck me as likely very difficult to paint correctly... plus, I'm being lazy on sculpting miniatures, so I can't imagine I'd be hardcore on sculpting an entire suit. =)

I will PM you to see if you have any further details. =)

If you want to do a Battle Armor, why not base it off the Grandaddy of them all? I'm talking about the Ape Armor from Starship Troopers. The book or Chronicles of The Roughnecks, (Not that travesty of a movie). It'd probably be easier to make and you'd some points for originality, IMHO.

If you want to do a Battle Armor' date=' why not base it off the Grandaddy of them all? I'm talking about the Ape Armor from Starship Troopers. The book or Chronicles of The Roughnecks, (Not that travesty of a movie). It'd probably be easier to make and you'd some points for originality, IMHO.[/quote']

Mostly because I don't want to make an extended suit as of yet, just something more conforming to my body. This will be my first effort at something this size with this much complexity to it. The base idea is simple, really, but even that will be a big undertaking.

I'm definitely not going to be making an articulated large costume at this juncture as it would just involve too much. If I can encase myself with any decency without breaking the bank, I'll be happy, and then I'll think on tackling something larger like that if things turn out well.

Ultimately, it would be cool to have a land-mate type of powered suit like you're talking about, and a suit to wear while inside it for greatest effect. For now, I'll settle for relatively simple and go from there.