To much BODY?

Herolover

Hello all.

I am running a Heroic level campaign and am using the Impairing and Disabling rules from FRED and have come to a question.

For those who don't know a body part can be Impaired when it takes the BODY equal to 1/2 the character's BODY total in damage, and it can be Disabled if it takes the character's BODY total in damage.

The question that has risen is this. What about character's that have high BODY's? I have a character that has 16 total BODY. That means he wouldn't have an arm disabled until the arm took 16 BODY. Doesn't this sound to much? What do you think?

I don't mind having it be difficult for PCs to get impaired or disabled. It shouldn't be something that happens regularly, as it will likely have long term affects on the characters. That might not be that much fun. YMMV.

On a side note. The rule is actually that a PC has to take more than half his total body to be impaired, and more than his total body to be disabled. So for the example with a character with 16 Body, he would have to take 9 BOD to be impaired and 17 BOD to be disabled.

On a side note. The rule is actually that a PC has to take more than half his total body to be impaired, and more than his total body to be disabled. So for the example with a character with 16 Body, he would have to take 9 BOD to be impaired and 17 BOD to be disabled.

With regard to the head,torso and vitals, the rules actually work out okay most of the time.

Limbs are a problem, but I just use the "Breaking Limbs" rules on page 275 to handle them.

Re: To much BODY?

Originally posted by Herolover

The question that has risen is this. What about character's that have high BODY's? I have a character that has 16 total BODY. That means he wouldn't have an arm disabled until the arm took 16 BODY. Doesn't this sound to much? What do you think?

Not at all. Guys with 16 BODY are pretty tough and are supposed to be hard to take down.

Re: To much BODY?

Originally posted by Herolover

I think it varies from setting to setting. If you want a "gritty realistic" setting, as they're called, then yes, it is too much. If you want a more fantastic setting (hard boiled detectives getting shot in the shoulder, the only effect of which is they must where a sling for a while but recover completely), it isn't.

If the game being run is the former type, one simple way of dealing with the problem of high Body characters is to not allow them. They don't fit into the genre, just like throwing plasma blasts from one's hands.

Guest Keneton

I assume you did take into consideration the before or after the body x factor?:)

This generally is before for the arm, hand or legs and after for the head or vitals.