[Review] Champions

ghost-angel

The Upside:

Champions is the Hero System guide to the Superhero Genre, emulating comics from their first days in the late thirties up to modern comics and characters. Unlike previous versions of the system, this Champions is just a guide to running Superpowered Roleplaying Games - and much welcome look at the genre.

One thing to note about this book is that it is jammed packed with information, even most of the side bars in the book margins are full of useful advice.

Chapter One - The Superhero Genre. Opening with a good bit of history and discussion on just what Superhero's are, and how they differed from previous generations of superhuman fictional characters, mainly the adherence to a higher code of morality. And from this the basis of playing a Superhero is presented.

The book goes over the major Comics Book Periods so often used in discussion, with the caveat that there are still many disagreements over what falls in what period, it takes on a generalized look at the four main accepted periods of the Comic Books: Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, and Iron Age. Each section starts with a look at the overall feel conveyed by the different eras, how to deal with them in a game and providing common ground for a group to work from. They also cover major types of stories and events (such as the dominance of World War II in the Golden Age, the rising Red Scare in the Silver Age, and so on). At the very least this provides common ground of a group of Players to start from, even if they disagree with the specifics. It's also an excellent short guide for those who don't normally read comics. Some other time frames are touched on at the end of the section, such as Galactic Champions and Fantasy Champions as well as alternate histories and simply transplanting to other periods in history.

Timeline focuses on helping to set up a Superhero Game, what kinds of things to think about and go over. Common knowledge aspects such as how long Superheroes have been around, how many there are in the world, how they are treated by the world, and similar concerns that are important to think about when setting up a Superhero Game. Mood And Meta-Genre covers the aspects of Comedy, Drama, Horror, Romance, and Teen games, and how to use them to best effect, when to switch to a different kind. Sources Of Superpowers covers where superpowers might come from in general terms (mutants, aliens, magic, extra-dimensional energy, genetic manipulation, and several others). As well as the pros and cons of using any and all of the possible origins, or restricting your campaign to just a few or even one; for instance a campaign where all Superhumans gain powers through Psionic Ability, and no other source, without restricting what kinds of abilities (Superpowers) you can use. The chapter finishes out with a good bit on the Elements Of The Genre, going over the common tropes of secret identities, costumes, nonsensical villainy, days jobs, going to far away places, magic and mysticism, secret societies, and super agencies.

The whole chapter provides an excellent introduction and guide to looking at the underlying aspects of a Superhero Game, whether you've been a comic book fan for decades or have never read a comic in your life there's something here that you can use.

Chapter Two - Superhero Character Creation. Starting with Being Superhuman, a look at how to establish the line between a Superhuman and a Normal human as seen through Characteristics. With Great Power covers the specific origins of a Character's powers, and possible motivations. The next section covers the Mechanics of Superhero games, since this genre is one of, if not the most, open to any idea on what is possible it actually has very little to say here. In essence the entire set of rules is wide open and unrestricted. However, a good chunk of text is given over to Disadvantages for Superheroes and the myriad kinds you can take to expand your character beyond a list of Powers and Skills.

Superhero Archetypes is a large section dedicated to the major archetypes that are often seen in the comics, given the wide open nature of the Genre this section seems to look to restrict creativity. It covers such ideas as The Brick, The Super Patriot, The Gadgeteer, The Energy Projector, and several other archetypical Superhero types. It even includes a Quick Superhuman Generator, a set of tables and prebuilt powers you can use to make a Superhero in about thirty minutes or less (mine took five on a quick run through, I ended up with a passable highly mobile acrobatic Martial Artist).

Superteams is a fairly important section and gets excellent coverage. Since most Games will involve multiple Players, the idea of a Superteam becomes a very important and prominent aspect of a Game. This section covers how teams are formed, how they stay together, choosing a name, and more. One of the best things gone over are the types of personalities seen in a team dynamic, from the Leader Type to the Loner Type (and how to keep them on the team). This short list can be really useful to a group setting up a Campaign and wanting to get a good mix of characters to create an interesting team with.

While much of the Chapter goes over handling Superheroes in the Hero System there is still a ton of advice packed in for anyone running the genre regardless of system being played.

Chapter Three - Superhero Technology. This chapter covers all those wonderful toys. Starting with Bases And Headquarters is goes over how to get one, size of the base, people working there, technology it includes and location (with the pros and cons of just about every possible location). There are three sample bases provided (Urban, Underwater, and Space) and three Base Computers to go with them. Vehicles covers getting around, with several sample write-ups from the basic transport to the cool car. Equipment covers a bunch of gadgets that Superheroes use, while most useful to the Gadgeteer Archetype it contains things just about any superhero would use, such as tracking bugs, communicators, and armored costumes (bullet proof spandex!). That's not all that's here though, for the GM it contains ideas for Super-Restraints, Death Traps, and Doomsday Devices. The chapter is a good list of things that superheroes commonly use in their war against crime.

Chapter Four - Gamemastering Champions. This chapter is the gem of the book. While the first three chapters are excellent at introducing, looking at and playing in the Champions genre this chapter goes to the next level.

Points And Power Levels, at the heart of the Hero System is the number of Character Points you use to build characters, and the Superhero Genre is the most open ended genre, while the main rules suggest a standard starting point for Starting Superheroes there's no reason to use those. This chapter covers the pros and cons of using high and low point totals as well as the many other considerations that go into a Hero Game, such as Active Points, Damage Classes and many other factors that go into judging a Hero Character's capability. The look at Effectiveness Ceilings and the Rule Of X are excellent guidelines a GM can use to place some restrictions on a game without stifling creativity completely - with a very important point on just when to ignore those rules to allow for something really cool.

Creating And Running The Champions Campaign goes over campaign concepts, story arcs and creating adventures. Starting with a look at the Morality of the game at hand and moving on from there to how positive (or dark) to make the game and the idea of realism with larger than life characters. It looks at the ideas of separating characters (and how to deal with that, both including and not including combat), dealing with Plot Devices and Player tendency to use them all the time, unnecessarily keeping characters out of communication, and dealing with types of superheroes like the indestructible guy and the can't hit me guy. Campaigns And They Age has some very good advice on setting up, running and keeping fresh the campaign being played, noting that sometimes it's just a good idea to step away for a while from a particular campaign and let everyone's creativity recharge.

Creating And Running Episodes covers setting up a story arc. Going with Villains, Plot, Theme, and Subplots and how to mix these elements into a story. Gaming It Out is a short bit that is a short talk on how the story played out on paper when the GM planned it, and what to do when the Players do the completely unexpected. There's also an instant plot generator if you need some ideas to start from. New And Adjusted Rules looks at how to bend the Hero System to better simulate Superheroes, from attacking while covered (someone has a gun trained on you), using characters as weapons, bouncing attacks, and other common events in the comics.

The Care And Feeding Of Disadvantages is a section every genre book should have, for it is a gold mine to the GM on ways to incorporate Character Disadvantages directly into the campaign. This covers handling how many you want (suggesting to raise or lower the Base Points of a Character for less if you like), things NOT to do, and advice on how to work with and use certain common Disadvantages.

Superhero Environments is more things on the theme of New And Adjusted Rules, in fact that information should have gone here. This includes more common Comic Book actions, like stopping moving vehicles (from cars to tidal waves), knocking buildings down, and Superworld Physics. The last piece is especially important as it's a guide for when to ignore things like Reality and Science in the name of Fun and Genre, as well as how the Genre generally treats certain weird things (like shrinking to ant size does not impair movement or strength).

Villains is a good long look at Supervillains, from simple Hoodlums all the way up to Master VIllains. Some advice on things to look at when setting up a Super Agency. Fifteen types of Villains that are typically encountered in the genre. Running Supervillains In A Campaign looks at matching the Villains to the Heroes, how powerful to make them, making them a part of the heroes lives and when to have them dramatically return (or not).

NonPlayer Characters looks at the non-villainous NPC. Helpful or otherwise, this covers the many kinds of people that interact with Superheroes. Forty-seven different types of NPCs are looked at (reporters, cops, business owners, etc), covering how they might interact with the Characters. Six different roles are also covered, which are hooks that get the NPCs involved in the Characters lives more directly, and even recurrently. Five of the NPC types have some quick Character Write-ups that can be used in a game, mostly these involve the ones where their stats might become important (punks, cops, reporters and agents).

Chapter Five - The Champions. This chapter details a team of Superheroes, the Champions Universe own Champions. And several Villains in their Rogues Gallery. The five Heroes are a good look at creating several archetypes to form a solid team. They are Defender (Powered Armor), Ironclad (Alien Brick), Nighthawk (Gadgeteer Martial Artist), Witchcraft (Mystic), and Sapphire (Mutant Energy Projector). It also contains their base and team jet. Seven Villains are written up: Devastator (Powered Armor), Green Dragon (Martial Artist), Icicle (Low Powered Energy Projector), Mechanon (AI Robot/Master Villain), Pulsar (Energy Projector), Tachyon (Teleporter), Talisman (Mystic). A Good group of Villains to get a game off the ground to be sure.

The Downside:

While the section on Superhero Archetypes is good at pointing out the major types of Superhumans you see over and over in the comics, it doesn't do much to show how you can mix and match archetypes for some really interesting character types that defy classification. This makes the genre feel unnecessarily limited.

The Otherside:

This is just a good solid Genre Guide to Superhero Gaming. Chapters One and Four are of use to anyone, regardless of system being used.

Chapter Four especially stands out as the single most useful chapter in the book. Even if you've been gaming Superheroes for the past twenty-five years this is a good book to pick up for ideas, concepts and some just all around good advice.

• 4 years later...

Re: [Review] Champions

Here's a more recent review and comparison of the 6e version:

I received my copy of 6e "Champions" in the mail last Friday afternoon. I've only had a chance to glance through it so far (what with the Final Four on Saturday, and Easter today). But I thought that I'd quickly offer a few (largely favorable) initial impressions:

1. Content Vs. 5e. While I thought that 5e "Champions" was perhaps the best survey of the super-hero genre ever published for an RPG, I wasn't planning to buy 6e "Champions" so quickly after its publication because I interpreted Steve Long to indicate elsewhere on these boards that he didn't plan to change all that much from 5e. But I was very surprised by and impressed with the quality of the 6e-ish "Book of the Machine," so when I saw an online retailer selling 6e "Champions" for (what I deemed) a sufficient discount, I jumped and made the purchase anyway. And I am glad that I did. While I haven't done a page-by-page comparison with 5e "Champions," I could tell, just by skimming, that a very substantial amount of new content had been added in 6e. And that seems to be borne out by their respective page counts. There's 295 pages to the index in 6e and 212 in 5e, and they both seem to have about the same font size.

2. Format. I can't say enough about the improvement in the format of the 6e books published to date versus the 5e books. I was very skeptical last year when these were announced that I'd care much about improved presentation of the books themselves. But it has really wowed me, to be honest. The hardback cover and the color interiors are what most immediately stand out. But I also think the formatting is much improved in 6e as well. One of my pet peeves with various 5e books were the small "marginal notes" on many pages. Don't get me wrong, I liked the content of those "marginal notes." Many of the ideas therein were very insightful and/or thought provoking. But the way they were formatted really broke up the reading experience and I found it annoying to be stopping to go back and read them every couple of pages. That's gone with 6e. The marginal notes are now more like "blurbs" in the main text. Much, much better.

3. Artwork. The interior artwork in 6e "Champions" is a very significant step up from the lackluster interior art of the later 5e books, in my opinion. And the color interiors really make the text "pop" without (crucially) making the text difficult to read. Though to be honest, some of the interior art in 5e "Champions" was quite excellent, and it may be better than some of the interior art in this 6e book. It seems to me like I can easily tell which art in 6e came from Cryptic artists for the MMO (dynamic, very professional-looking) and which art was specifically commissioned for the game (which is more "flat" and less polished-looking line art, even in color).

4. A Couple of Small Criticisms. My main criticism so far is that the book tries too hard to cover too many super hero genres and time periods. I may be mistaking my own personal preferences for those of the broader public audience for 6e "Champions," but I really think that the vast majority of people will use 6e to play modern-era "Champions" games (whether they be influenced by current comic books, or blockbuster movies or the MMO), and are far less likely to play Golden Age campaigns, and even more unlikely to play Silver Age Campaigns or Bronze Age Campaigns. Now please understand that I bought 2e "Champions" in the early 80s to play what on hindsight was a Bronze Age campaign. So I love that era. But would a substantial number of people want to do that today with 6e? I would have preferred more detail about how to run a modern era "Champions" campaign than extensive discussion of the various eras of comic books and a discussion of how "Champions" can fit in with "Pulp Hero" and "Star Hero" and "Post-apocalyptic Hero." I also would think that the 30 pages devoted to "The Champions" in each of 5e and now 6e (which I've always felt were a lackluster bunch of super-heroes going back to the comic books from the mid-80s based on the 3e version of the team), would have been much better used to provide an introductory scenario or two. I still think this section would be more at home in "Champions Universe."

But those are relatively small quibbles, and issues of which I was already well aware before I bought the new 6e "Champions" (because of prior discussions on these boards). Overall, I would characterize myself as very impressed after my initial glance through this book. Very well done.

I haven't bought 6th edition and don't think I will. For one thing, I never see a copy anywhere that I can look through & I'm afraid to spend the money without seeing what I'm getting. Not sure I care for the changes I've read about either, but that could just be prejudice after using Hero System for almost 30 years with few changes. As for art: I've never been impressed by art in RPG books, be it color or B&W, as the vast majority seems amateurish. Unfortunately the use of color art is likely a factor in why so many games I see now cost $50.00 just for the basic book. For me that's too much. It turned me off D&D when I realized I'd have to invest a couple hundred dollars just to get the player's book, DM guide & Monster Manual.

All the stuff I've read to date makes it look like you have to buy multiple books to get the complete game, is that a mistaken impression? Based on the titles and descriptions on Amazon it seems like I would need to buy the basic set, the one about "combat & adventuring," one about "character creation," etc. I hope I'm wrong. Can you clarify that?

--Kap

The Basic Rules is just the 6e update of Sidekick.

The Upside:

HERO Sidekick is a stripped down set of rules for the Hero System. It is not a different set of rules, or an alternate set of rules, this is the Hero System in its most basic form.

The 2 Hero System books (6e1 and 6e2) equate to the 1st and 2nd half of Hero System 5e/5er with the same kinds of updates vs. 5e as mentioned by dan2448 with regards to Champions 6e.

I haven't bought 6th edition and don't think I will. For one thing, I never see a copy anywhere that I can look through & I'm afraid to spend the money without seeing what I'm getting. Not sure I care for the changes I've read about either, but that could just be prejudice after using Hero System for almost 30 years with few changes. As for art: I've never been impressed by art in RPG books, be it color or B&W, as the vast majority seems amateurish. Unfortunately the use of color art is likely a factor in why so many games I see now cost $50.00 just for the basic book. For me that's too much. It turned me off D&D when I realized I'd have to invest a couple hundred dollars just to get the player's book, DM guide & Monster Manual.

All the stuff I've read to date makes it look like you have to buy multiple books to get the complete game, is that a mistaken impression? Based on the titles and descriptions on Amazon it seems like I would need to buy the basic set, the one about "combat & adventuring," one about "character creation," etc. I hope I'm wrong. Can you clarify that?

--Kap

What you would need for 6e is simply 6e1 Character Creation and 6e2 Combat and Adventuring. You can add a Genre book If you think you need one. The books are currently near the end of their print runs. You might still be able to find them on retailer Websites or in stores stocked on shelves. Be aware that there was also a Bundle Edition that had both 6e1 and 6e2 shrinkwrapped together and discounted by $10.

Jason announced that he was working on a second print run of 6e1 and 6e2 that would be Black and White to save money. Hopefully that would translate into savings on both books.

If they had a lower price point I might consider 6th edition, but as it is now I haven't seen the book so I can't really judge it, don't feel the need for any changes to what I'm working with now, and can't see investing a lot of money and having to buy multiple books to get a complete game system. All the (few) books I have are 5th edition or earlier anyway.

I may pick it up sometime when I see it used for $5-$10.

Anybody know what has changed from 5th to 6th edition? I wish I could look at a copy and get an idea of whether it's worthwhile.

--Kap

If they had a lower price point I might consider 6th edition, but as it is now I haven't seen the book so I can't really judge it, don't feel the need for any changes to what I'm working with now, and can't see investing a lot of money and having to buy multiple books to get a complete game system. All the (few) books I have are 5th edition or earlier anyway.

I may pick it up sometime when I see it used for $5-$10.

Anybody know what has changed from 5th to 6th edition? I wish I could look at a copy and get an idea of whether it's worthwhile.

--Kap

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/74887-5E-To-6E-Character-Conversion-Summary?p=1894349#post1894349 The first post has a link to a PDF that lists the changes.. It's stickied on the Hero System Discussion subforum.

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/74887-5E-To-6E-Character-Conversion-Summary?p=1894349#post1894349 The first post has a link to a PDF that lists the changes.. It's stickied on the Hero System Discussion subforum.

Thank you for the link. Now I'd really like to see the book so I can decide whether I agree with the reasoning behind the changes, and specifically what the changes are since the PDF is vague about some of them.

Thank you for the link. Now I'd really like to see the book so I can decide whether I agree with the reasoning behind the changes' date=' and specifically what the changes are since the PDF is vague about some of them.[/quote']

Do a search for 6e changes or something like that. We had a ton of threads where both sides went into minutae about how things changed. Talking about the changes are still a bit of a sore subject with some people. The Biggest changes are in Character Gen and are the ones that I pretty much really like the most. I like how not having freebie secondary characteristics (AKA Figured Characterisics) allow me to make more and varied characters. I am ambivalent about CHA being dropped, I don't have an issue with what replaced it. Though solidifying the rules for using CHA would have done the same thing without all of the Acrimony. Barrier is cool, the New AOE stuff kicks butt (you only pay for the AOE size you want, from 1 hex to whatever size you can afford), I disagree with increasing the cost of Skill Levels. I also think that OMCV and DMCV should be folded into a single Stat. I love that OCV and DCV are purchased Stats (which start at 3 and cost 5). I love that Disads are now named Complications and PC's need fewer of them. There are more, but that's where I stand currently on those things.