Build Help CHAR: Motley Fool

lapsedgamer

I am working on a new PC idea. He is a martial artist/gadgeteer along the lines of Jack-in-the-Box from Astro City. I'm giving him some fun low-level attacks, but I want to make sure that they will fly in most Champs games. Her is the multipower:

27	Trick Bag:  Multipower, 55-point reserve,  (55 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

3u	1)  Boffer Gloves:  (Total: 52 Active Cost, 28 Real Cost) HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Double Knockback (+3/4); OAF (-1) for up to 50 Active Points of Hand to Hand Attack (37 Active Points) (Real Cost: 37)	4

1u	2)  Super Bouncing Balls:  EB 6d6, Area Of Effect Nonselective (3" Radius; +3/4) (52 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Range Based On STR (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)	[3]

1u	3)  Super Bouncing Balls II:  EB 7d6, Indirect (Same origin, any direction; +1/2) (52 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Range Based On STR (-1/4), No Knockback (-1/4)	[3]

2u	4)  Slingshot:  EB 6d6, Invisible to Hearing Group, SFX Only (+1/4), Penetrating (+1/2) (52 Active Points); OAF (-1), 6 Charges (-3/4), No Knockback (-1/4)	[6]

1u	5)  Silly String:  Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF, Entangle And Character Both Take Damage (+1/4) (50 Active Points); 3 Charges (-1 1/4), OAF (-1)	[3]

2u	6)  Yo-Yo:  (Total: 45 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) HA +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 6) plus Stretching 4", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only To Cause Damage (-1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) (Real Cost: 11)

1u	7)  Yo-Yo II:  Swinging 10", x4 Noncombat (15 Active Points); OAF (-1)	1

2u	8)  Oil Slick:  Change Environment 2" radius, -2 DCV, -2 DEX and all Skill Rolls based on DEX, -2 OCV, -6" of Running or Climbing (53 Active Points); 2 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (-1), OAF (-1)	[2 cc]

1u	9)  Joy Buzzer:  EB 10d6,  (STUN Only; +0) (50 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2)	[4]

1u	10) Laughing Gas:  (Total: 50 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) EB 3d6, NND (Self-Contained Breathing; +1) (30 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1) (Real Cost: 8) plus Drain DEX 2d6 (20 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1),  (Not vs. Life Support (Limited Breathing); -1/2) (Real Cost: 5)	[2]

1u	11) Cherry Bombs:  RKA 2d6+1, Explosion (+1/2) (52 Active Points); 4 Charges (-1), OAF (-1), Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4)	[4]

1u	12) Party Poppers:  (Total: 49 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Hearing Group Flash 4d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (2" Radius; +1) (27 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Range Based On STR (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus Sight Group Flash 2d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (1" Radius; +1) (22 Active Points); 2 Charges (-1 1/2), OAF (-1), Range Based On STR (-1/4) (Real Cost: 6)	[2]

I am most worried about the oil slick and the boffer gloves. I believe the gloves would work to give him a 10D6 martial strike with regular knockback instead of the -1D6 for martial arts. The oil slick should work to keep a normal person in place and at a disadvantage for up to a turn. They would have to push their combat movement or switch to noncombat movement to get out.

Please let me know if there are any other borderline things hiding in here. Thanks in advance.

Re: Build Help CHAR: Motley Fool

Well, maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think the knock back penalty of martial arts (3d6 instead of 2d6) would still apply even with the boffer gloves if you were using a martial maneuver with them. However, at least 4 of your dice would have the body doubled for the purpose of calculating that KB so that's still handy

I never did see the point of "double knockback". It costs +3/4.

So, you can either buy a 12d6 EB for 60 AP or a 7d6 EB for 61 EB.

The one gives you 12 dice of attack and 12 dice of kb (minus the appropriate modifiers), the other gives you 7 dice of attack and 14 dice of kb (minus the appropriate modifiers).

Am I looking at it wrong or does double knockback weaken your damage capability?

Well' date=' maybe I'm wrong on this, but I think the knock back penalty of martial arts (3d6 instead of 2d6) would still apply even with the boffer gloves if you were using a martial maneuver with them. However, at least 4 of your dice would have the body doubled for the purpose of calculating that KB so that's still handy[/quote']

Here's how I though about it: He throws 10D6 on a martial strike with the added dice for the hand attack. If you buy double knockback on that number of active points of hand attack (50), you would then double the body on a typical roll and subtract 3d6 for the martial manuever to determine knockback.

I didn't buy a No Range EB with Double Knockback because I still want to take advantage of the CV levels for martial arts and some other combat skill levels he has. Also, I think it models the effect nicely. He is a skilled fighter who puts on a pair of oversized, silly-looking boxing gloves on occasion to better whomp you.

The one gives you 12 dice of attack and 12 dice of kb (minus the appropriate modifiers), the other gives you 7 dice of attack and 14 dice of kb (minus the appropriate modifiers).

Am I looking at it wrong or does double knockback weaken your damage capability?

It does, but it makes for an inexpensive battlefield control power when paired with Knockback Only...

One of the reasons I am worried about the build of that item is that Double Knockback is an exclamation point advantage. It is pretty wicked in practical application because you can remove people from the battlefield pretty quickly by knocking them into stuff. I don't think using it as a naked modifier like this is munchkin, but some GMs might raise and eyebrow at it, especially since it is being used on a martial arts attack.

One of the reasons I am worried about the build of that item is that Double Knockback is an exclamation point advantage. It is pretty wicked in practical application because you can remove people from the battlefield pretty quickly by knocking them into stuff. I don't think using it as a naked modifier like this is munchkin' date=' but some GMs might raise and eyebrow at it, especially since it is being used on a martial arts attack.[/quote']

As a GM I only care if a player applies doubled KB more than once. a 7d6 x2 KB power is indeed just thematically different from the 12d6 attack. On the other hand, the 2d6 EB with x32 KB is a monster that has no place on a reasonable character.

I don't think the "boffo gloves" really add all that much to the character. If you were that concerned about them you could just drop them and tack some extra STR and DCs on in their place. Say STR:20 and two or four DCs plus some HtH levels.

Some more variations of Entangle and stuff like that change environment would make the character a handy "utility" sort to have around. Naturally, you'd have to add a small gadget VPP just so you can fool about with different tricks from session to session. Giving you an opportunity to test things out before committing an ultra slot to them.

More ideas:

Jacks - A penetrating RKA vs feet only that's got continuing charges on an area.

Pogostick - Superleap

Joy Buzzer - No Range NND

Laughing Gas - Mind Control vs. CON to just laugh, limits actions based on level of success

Stink Bombs - AOE NND

Itching Powder - NND (sealed armor or no pain receptors) DEX Drain

Exploding Cigar - No Range Penetrating RKA requires gestures

As a GM I only care if a player applies doubled KB more than once. a 7d6 x2 KB power is indeed just thematically different from the 12d6 attack. On the other hand, the 2d6 EB with x32 KB is a monster that has no place on a reasonable character.

I don't think the "boffo gloves" really add all that much to the character. If you were that concerned about them you could just drop them and tack some extra STR and DCs on in their place. Say STR:20 and two or four DCs plus some HtH levels.

Some more variations of Entangle and stuff like that change environment would make the character a handy "utility" sort to have around. Naturally, you'd have to add a small gadget VPP just so you can fool about with different tricks from session to session. Giving you an opportunity to test things out before committing an ultra slot to them.

More ideas:

Jacks - A penetrating RKA vs feet only that's got continuing charges on an area.

Pogostick - Superleap

Joy Buzzer - No Range NND

Laughing Gas - Mind Control vs. CON to just laugh, limits actions based on level of success

Stink Bombs - AOE NND

Itching Powder - NND (sealed armor or no pain receptors) DEX Drain

Exploding Cigar - No Range Penetrating RKA requires gestures

Thanks for the input. Our minds seem to work the same way. I was thinking about the jacks myself, and I like the stink bomb too. I am trying to bring him at around 350, but I had the idea for spring-loaded shoes that would add to his running and leaping scores, but I bought them outside the multipower, so he always had access to them.

I also had an idea for a pogo-cycle. I t would be a cross between a pogo stick and a motorized unicycle. I'd probably build it as a vehicle.

I decided to make the boffer gloves a straight no range double KB EB just for simplicity's sake.

I decided to make the boffer gloves a straight no range double KB EB just for simplicity's sake.

why make it no range? the boxing glove on a spring(or that expanding scissor thing) is classic. you could take limited range too.

Oh, nice. I can't believe I didn't think of that.