Help

Untas

Hello

I am a beginner in the hero system and I have a problem

I would like to play HERO Fantasy and have bought the Fantasy Grimoire

I don't understand the Limitiation : Spell (-1/2)

I couldn't find this in the books

Please somebody can help me??

Re: Help

I am assuming that you already have either the Hero System rules book, or at least Sidekick (a light version of the core rules). You'll need one or the other to have the actual rules of play.

The spell limitation is used to represent that the spell requires study, rest, etc. in order to be used and/or cast. In a way it means that the spell caster has to live a certain lifestyle or behave in a certain way in order to be able to cast that spell. At least that is what the book says. I wish I could give a better explanation but I am at work with no access to my gaming materials. Hopefully some one will post soon with better data.

In my own opinion it is a limitation that was created in order to help offset the sometimes high cost of powers bought to be spells.

Apparently if a power is listed as a spell then it can not use the same 'combat modifiers and manoeuvres' as normal attacks i.e. if you have a ranged killing attack spell you can't use Ranged Attack Skill levels to improve your chance of hitting with it and if you have a Hand to Hand attack spell you can't use it to block or perform movethroughs. I'm pretty sure that's how it works but keep an eye out for more experienced gamers who might be able to prove me wrong.

The system isn't overly complex, I always grind my teeth when people say this. It isn't more or less complex than you want it to be. A Naked Power Advantage is, in layman's terms, an advantage built as a power that only works within its proscribed special effect.

For example, you can purchase Autofire 3, only for Revolvers, up to 45 Active Points of Revolver. I can give you an entire build, I think I have one lying around. These were built for my brother's LeMat's in an alternate Wild West setting (hence the point values are much higher than average).

10 Fanning I: Autofire (3 shots; +1/4) for up to 104 Active Points of Revolvers (26 Active Points); OIF (Revolver of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Firearms Tricks Roll (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2)

21 Fanning II: Autofire (5 shots; +1/2) for up to 104 Active Points of Revolvers (52 Active Points); OIF (Revolver of Opportunity; -1/2), Requires A Firearms Tricks Roll (-1/2), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2)

Re: Help: introducing new peeps

well that sort of explains Naked Advantage. I'm old. We oldies learn things more slowerly :) And, I will add, that Version 4 was much less complicated. :)

As for introducing peeps to the new system: What I do is ask for a character concept. I usually associate the concept to dnd classes, since the average egghead usually learned rp'ing via dnd.

Then I make up little characters, 50 pointers. I set them up with a photo copy of the ocv/dcv grid on page... <????>

Then I show them thru a few combats in a dungeon.

First we go thru movement, and combat. Then we go thru phases and combat.

Though, most of them are speed 2's.

Then I let them add in OCV/DCV's with basic maneuvers.

After each combat I give them 'x' points to buy up skills, and Voila. Stress to the players flexibility.