Post Apocalypse Hero: I am Legend

Bygoneyrs

Re: Post Apocalypse Hero: I am Legend

KillerShrike: Not so at all.

As for butchering the story from the book: sure, they did. Had they called this something else, I think it would have been more fair to the original material. Bearing the same title certainly implies a stronger plot relationship, which isn't there (to a point).

Overall I think the movie and the book share the same storyline, just with different scenes depicting the same experiences. Yes the ending is different, but the endings close out each story well.

Not to sidetrack this conversation into an arms race, but I don't think there would be weapons all over the place. Handguns, sure, but not automatic weapons. He would want a good CQB weapon with automatic fire. That means M4 is the most likely candidate and as a soldier he'd have access to ammo. Why would he be armed like a gun-nut? Maybe initially, but this is 3 years later. There's nobody out there, and he doesn't hunt and slay them (anymore?). The book takes place 9 months after everything goes down. Perhaps early on he was a hunter/slayer and finally realized both the danger and futility of it.

He had grenades, and multiple handguns. As for "Fred", the man has been alone for 3 years and something this bizarre happens, I think that is a reasonable outcome.

For me, in a movie, if the actions are at least reasonable I'm okay with them being poor choices. My players do it all the time, even when "the bad thing" is staring them in the face. I hate it in a movie when a character does something so obviously stupid with no real supporting motivation. I didn't see that in this movie. He was paranoid, but he was also tired. 3 years will get to you like that.

I'm with Muddy here, all the way; Penn, while I see your point, one of the appeals for me from the film was this:

So he's trapped in New York; he only has himself to keep him company. He's learned to cover his tracks and he's learned that combat doesn't work. He carries a weapon mainly for self defense; this isn't "The Matrix." Notice, specifically, that during one of his tape sessions he expressly states "They appear to have lost all sense of self-preservation." He doesn't even realize the thing stepped out to actively challenge him and declare that it was angry. It doesn't occur to him; why should it? He's pretty much lost all contact with the outside world, his sense of self is shot to pieces, and he no longer recognizes basic animal behaviors.

So I actually really ENJOYED the fact that he wasn't prepared when everything goes down at the end; he has no idea that they're this determined and he can't rationalize it until the epiphany, where he gives the boon (the vial) to butterfly girl and he completes his story arc.

Tom; no, I never read the text. I was just drawing my own logical conclusion. I'd likely have committed suicide around week three or four. With no people I would see no reason for living. I would come completely unhinged.

KS; I didn't see it as 28 Days Laterish at all. There is far more human contact in that movie, and the scope of the disaster is different, as well as the feel. For my part I felt the film packed immense emotional power and depth, and genuinely enjoyed it, in that weird, I didn't-really-enjoy-it-but-could-recommend-it sort of way.

oh...wow...

i got to see this now. period. like, maybe before i stop writing this post....

this actually sounds awesome, not like the crap i was expecting.

oh, and does the movie leave in the same state of "oh my god, what the hell was that?" that you get from watching a really good tragedy like "Requiem for a Dream"? or something else entirly?

oh...wow...

i got to see this now. period. like, maybe before i stop writing this post....

this actually sounds awesome, not like the crap i was expecting.

oh, and does the movie leave in the same state of "oh my god, what the hell was that?" that you get from watching a really good tragedy like "Requiem for a Dream"? or something else entirly?

Honestly? I can't guarantee you'll get out of it what I did. Is it good? Yes. Is Smith f'n impressive? Yes. Would I see it again? eh... this is not a movie I would watch for entertainment, and in that sense it really goes well above & beyond the usual schlock of entertainment. As always, opinions differ, and YMMV. But I thought it carried excellent emotional impact, and yes, I did both laugh, and cry, and I thought the whole thing was amazingly well executed.

Hmm...it seems a lot like 28 Days Later from the trailers...not so?

I described it as 28 Days Later in New York. Having read the novel (a long time ago), I kinda missed how the book did things, what with the roles being reversed and human being the fearsome "legend" killing the people of the world when they are helpless (i.e. asleep in the day).

I saw the movie today, and I enjoyed the experience. I also echo the admiration of Will Smith. I liked how the movie really delved into the psychological aspects of Smith's being alone for 3 years. The ending was unexpected, but not out of place.

Will Smith really did deliver a punch in this performance.

And I agree with Thia. When Smith was in the DVD store after Sam died, and he begged the dummy to say "hello" to him. That was powerful