SFX for Darkness with IPE?

Karmakaze

Re: SFX for Darkness with IPE?

In my mind, Darkness, Images, Shapeshift, and Invisibility are all basically aspects of the same power. (flash would be too, but the mechanics are so different that lumping it in is exceedingly tricky)

Darkness is images that are impenetrable (no contested skill rolls), but doesn't generate a "fooling" image -- anyone looking at (or hearing, for the "It's quiet -- too quiet" effect) or whatever notices that the sense is entirely blocked. It's area effect.

Images is more flexible than darkness, as it can create stuff. It, however, requires contested skill rolls. It's also area effect.

Invisibility is darkness, personal only, IPE. Imagine, if you will, invisibility IPE...not particularly sensical, right?

Shapeshift is mostly images, personal only.

Extend these a bit, and you can imagine hitting someone with an illusion (not area effect) so only they can see it...hey! That's mental illusions! attack darkness would be something like "suppress sense."

So I think that darkness, IPE, would be an invisibility effect, and give it the invisibility "fringe" rules unless invisibility to touch is also bought. Those effected by the darkness can't see, can't be seen, but nobody notices that there's someone/thing there who can't be seen.

the only ultimate mystic book talks about using images "obscuring only" for similar cross between images and invisibility.

Seeing and perceiving are different things.

Sight is accomplished via electrical impulses transmitted through the optic nerve, triggered by rods and cones being struck by light coming through the eye.

Perception is accomplished through some portion of the brain responding to the signals from the optic nerve and telling the conscious mind what sorts of things it recognizes as being visible.

I built a power that was constructed as Invisibility with IPE (and personal immunity) that was defined as operating as follows:

It did not work on mechanical sensors using light. (electric eyes, security cams etc)

Anyone with a mind would see what they expected to see. So a security guard who knew what should be in the area affected by the invisible darkness would see the same old same old. It was the mental equivalent of putting a photograph in front of a security camera.

It was essentially telling the visual cortex, just see what you saw last time you looked here.

There was a chance of something odd happening if it was used against people who didn't know what was in the area covered by the invisible darkness...

"Faerie Mist."

I've used this exact effect for a Faerie Glamour type power.

Lucius Alexander

Shapechange to Palindromedary, Sight Group, Invisible Power Effects.....

I had the same thought...if your in the area, you just see "mist" but its not real...

A long ago campaign used this power for one very simple purpose- to obscure targeting. I'm puzzled by several poster insistence that this effect somehow generates Darkness that is only detectable if you're in it (or outside of it, whichever). Darkness with IPE creates a field which duplicates the game effects of Darkness but can't be detected. So you think you're seeing normally, but when you try to attack someone whifff! Also, you don't actually have line of sight so you might try a mental power only to find you can't

target your intended victim.

It's more about paying attention to what Darkness does in the game and not basing your interpretation on the name, sort of like Shape shift.

I remember seeing an animae that had something like that. The "hero" had obliterated someones nervous system unnoticably. He would carefully aim, fire, and take out the far side of the room. Basicly he was fighting Blind without noticing! and this construct duplicates that....