Super Fantasy Heroes

JmOz

I posted this over in Fantasy where it basicaly died, so as it is a cross genre type thing, I figured I would try over here and take it from a more Super POV

Rough ideas so far (For basic assumptions check out Killer Shike's web site here

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/HighFantasyHERO/Paradigms/SuperFantasy.aspx )

First off I am going to assume low powered Super Hero instead of standard power. So my new Low powered standard of 175+100, no everyman skills. I think the list of assumptions is good, but a better mix on killing vs normal damage (no assumption being made on either). Healing will be assumed common, not very common

A few package deals on races/cultures will be developed, these are base lines (A Birdman player will be far above and beyond the package deal for them), Package deals should run between 10-30 points

Special effects: natural abilities, Enchantments (including magical accidents), MageTech (Artificats, including mystical cyborgs), spellcasting, "gifts" basicaly magical mutants?, Magical Items (different from Magetech)

Magic: Specificaly spellcasters will have to take the "Power is powered by Personal END or END Reserve" as a +0 advantage, but must also take RSR contested, and a -1/4 Variable Limitation (-1/2 lims) on all spells, maybe Side Effects, Side effects will range from comical to damaging

Basic Premice: The group are soldiers in the Atlanteen Army (Pre sinking). Enemies will include the enemies of atlantis including a ex Atlanteen Mage/Warrior, barbarian hordes, random monsters, a few "monstrous races". The players unit will be entrusted with guarding a fortress that houses magical artifacts, this will bring them into conflict with the above mentioned Mage/Warrior, who will be the main enemy of the setting.

The Atlanteen army is divided into two main groups, while I have no name for them there is the Agent type guards, and then small special forces like teams, that is what the players will be, the SF's are given more leeway on what they do.

It is more bloody that what most would think of, with minnons taking the blunt of the casualties, LT's and Bosses will probably not die offten, basicaly if there named, they probably will survive, while footsoldiers die in mass numbers

Characters: Are basicaly low powered super heroes with a fantacy theme

Economy: While there is one in the world, it is not a factor in this game (the quest for money is not what this setting is about)

Skills: Will be to a point deempasised, broad Background skills instead of specific, Sidekick Skill system

so some starting thoughts, anyone want to help me revise it?

Re: Super Fantasy Heroes

Actualy the inspiration is me being a child of the 80's who watched to many cartoons...

Oh, I watched both Blackstar and Thundarr the Barbarian. However, Battle Chasers really melded the superhero and fantasy genres well - it's worth picking up a copy of Battle Chasers: A Gathering of Heroes (collecting issues #1-5). You have a nine-year old girl with magical gloves that grant invulnerability and superstrength (brick), an epic swordsman with a really powerful magic sword (martial artist), a war golem who can fly and fire projectiles (brick/energy projector), and a powerful wizard (energy projector/VPP user). Unfortunately, it only lasted 9 issues, and the creator moved on to working for a videogame company.

Thundarr was a more of a high-powered fantasy game with post-apocalyptic elements, while Blackstar was a mix of epic fantasy and sci-fi. Granted, it's been a long time since I watched either, so I may be forgetting things that would be distinct to the superhero genre.

For my own personal take on "Fantasy with characters powerful enough to be superheroes' date='" see our forthcoming book, [i']The Atlantean Age,[/i] which is next up on my writing docket after The PS238 RPG is done. :hex:

Which is what got me thinking about it (Well that and a MOTU itch), so want to give some thoughts on the setting above? or a bit of a preview of AA?

the more obvious Superheroic Fantasy I've seen is some of the more over the top western fantasy anime series:

Escaflowne, Slayers (esp. Next and Try), Rayearth, X/1999, and the modern magic stuff like Attacked Mystification Police (hey Susano!) or Noein.

The He-Man and She-Ra series probably fits, withe secret identities and theme powered heroes and villians.