Heracles' Children

jtelson

I'm batting around an idea for a Fantasy/Supers campaign and I'm looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas, and likely questions that I can answer preemptively. So I'm hoping for feedback, good bad or just puzzled. Thank you in advance.

JT

Heracles’ Children

Concept

The Gods have been become distant, disgusted at the savagery exhibited in the Trojan War. Achilles and many heroes died at Troy or in the storms afterwards. Agamemnon assassinated. Odysseus missing. Civil disorder threatens the weakened Achaean kings and the now the Heraclidae are massing great hordes of men far to the North and exerting more subtle influence here at home. The Heroic age is coming to a close and the world hovers on the brink of chaos. Only those few of the Heracles’ descendants who have by virtue or guile escaped exile stand between light and a long age of darkness.

History

1446 BC: The death and apotheosis of Heracles. His children, the Heraclidae, settle in Athens.

1442 BC: King Eurystheus of Mycenae attacks Athens, trying to destroy the Heraclidae. He is defeated and killed. Atreus becomes High king.

1439 BC: The Heraclidae, led by Hyllus, attacked Atreus. Hyllus is slain and the Heraclidae withdraw to the far north.

1209 BC: The Sack of Troy. Agamemnon returns home and is assassinated. Rumors of the Heraclidae massing to the north flow across Greece. A call goes out from Thebes offering amnesty to any Heraclidae still living in Greece who comes and offers defense against their brethren.

Character Creation

You are one of the Heraclidae, the descendants of Heracles, a person possessing great power. You may be strong, or fast, or capable of some form of sorcery. The powers of Heracles’ Children are many and varied; And you have answered the call of King Ictinos of Thebes.

Base Points: 300

Max Disads: 150

Max per Category: 50

Speed: 3-8 (Max 8)

CV: 7-13 (Max 13)

DC: 6-14 (Max 14)

Active points: Max 80

Def/rDef: 25/15

Notes

Str Cost 2:1

Equipment Purchased w/ points

No Long Distance Movement Powers (Mega-scale, Perpetual, adjudicated case by case)

Re: Heracles' Children

Is the CV limit high enough?

For a basic Supers game, a 13 CV limit would be fine. But its been my experience with fantasy games that the CVs tend to run quite a bit higher. We usually play with KAs and hit locations, so having a high OCV to make called shots is a big part of our game. If you're not playing with KAs and hit location, then maybe your CV limit is good.

I had some buddies that played a Runequest game in HERO, and their characters eventually got to over 400 pts. The characteristics never got much over 20-25 range, but their CVs ran up to the 18-20 range for the combat oriented characters.

So, in summary, you're playing in a fantasy setting with characters starting at around 400-450 points. If your players design supers characters to play in a fantasy setting, you'll be fine. And that might be what you want. But if they make high powered fantasy characters, I really think you'll have to either increase the CV limit, or perhaps even remove it all together.

I'm thinking of combat being pre-descriptive rather than post descriptive so I wasn't intending on using Hit Locations; they add a technical level of detail to combat that I'm not looking for for this setting.

KA's are likely to be plentiful though, given the era.

My current (and reasonably flexible) vision of an average guard/solider is 5 CV, 1.5D6 HKA (ttl after STR) 8def/4rdef. Should only be a challange in large groups.

• 3 weeks later...

Prominent Kingdoms (Brief Overview)

Argos: King Megapenthes, illegitimate son of Menelaus (King of Sparta) is attempting to Seize Control of Sparta, as Menelaus is believed dead, killed in the storms that scattered and destroyed the returning Greek fleet.

Athens: Peisistratos the Tyrant rules Athens with an iron first, hand picking Archon, Magistrate and General alike. Despite being called ‘The Tyrant’ Peisistratos is very popular with the people far less so among the aristocracy.

Corinth: Upon his return from Troy, Agamemnon was slain and Aegisthus wed his own cousin Queen Clytemnaestra becoming Priest-King of Corinth. Orestes, Agamemnon’s son is said to be wandering the land seeking help to retake his kingdom.

Delphi: Delphi is revered throughout the Greek world as the site of the omphalos stone, the center of the earth and the universe. In the inner hearth of the Temple of Apollo, the eternal flame burns. Each Kingdom assigns 100 warriors (Save Sparta who send only 10) to defend Delphi and to make certain that the Oracle does not fall under any other King’s influence.

Elis: With King Amphimachus dead by Hector's hand Thalpius his brother has taken the throne of Elis.

Epidaurus: The God-King Asclepius has allowed elected Archons to rule Epidaurus for centuries while he attends to the construction and operation of the Asklepieion his monument and house of healing. Healing even resurrection is said to be possible at Asclepius’ hand – but always at a hefty price, and the coffers of Epidaurus overflow.

Histiaea: Ruled by King Chalcodon, greathearted leader, who commanded the Abantes, who live to breathe war's fury, soldiers from wine-rich Histiaea.

Olympia: Olympia, barely a city is a sanctuary and temple to the Gods of Olympus.

Sparta: With her father and newly recovered mother missing, Hermione is trying to hold Sparta together against her half-brother's (Megapenthes) attacks despite having no real authority over the Archons or Magistrates.

Thebes: Seven gated Thebes is ruled over by King Tisamenus. Reputed to oft confer with the elected Archons, the King of Thebes is coming under great scrutiny with his recent declaration of amnesty for any of the Heraclidae who agree to defend Thebes, and Greece from others of their kind.