Broken arrow...

eepjr24

Does anyone have any rules for these? I have looked through my Hero stuff that I thought might have something (Current FH, FREd, current UMA, previous FH, FHC1 and FHC2), but yielded only this line under recoverabel charges: "In the GM's discretion, a Charge might be broken or lost, in which case it must be recreated like normal charges". Basically, what chance do you give to have an arrow that hits be unbroken? Any modifiers from what it is hitting?

If anyone has any actual fletching knowledge, I would also appreciate knowing the relative costs of the components. IE: head is 60 percent of cost, shaft/nock is 25 percent, and fletching is 15 percent. Those numbers are PFA, in case anyone wonders. Any approximate times to repair and/or create an arrow would be appreciated as well. I assume it would be faster to do a batch of 10 or 20 at a time, than a single one?

Thanks in advance.

- Ernie

I know from experience that most arrows that miss the target in an area with a lot of vegetation are almost as good as lost.

I would guess that most arrows that hit a creature would remain unbroken unless the creature falls on them. Most that hit a stone wall (whether in a cave or a castle) would break.

I've always just kind of played it by ear when running a combat as to whether an arrow was broken or lost (if the characters even stop to look for them), as opposed to building hard and fast rules. I tend to be a little more lenient when determining the fate of a magical arrow.

I think it was a house rule but when I was playing a lot of D&D we allowed 1/2 the arrows fired to be recovered, with a short search (10 min or so) and assumed the rest were lost or broken. If players really wanted to take the time the GM would occasionally allow a few more to be found depending on his mood and the situation.

Broken arrow...

Originally posted by eepjr24

Broken Arrow

DON'T DO THAT!

Um, I mean, please refrain from using "Broken Arrow" as a subject line. The phrase has a significance for some of us, and I almost had a friggin heart attack before I realized you were talking about Fantasy Hero.

I thought it was a bad movie with John Travolta and Christian Slater in it.

Well, except for that Mediterranean thing in the 60's... now THAT was bad.

Any other meaning and I seriously doubt a Hero forum would be where you learned about it. If you ever learned about it. ;)

Hey, wasn't it an arrow that killed Ancalagon in Middle Earth? So yeah...a mystical and powerful broken arrow that needs to be "healed" like Narsil did.

As for recovering arrows, I think it depends on the vegetation. In woods? Forget it. In grasslands or barren areas? It shouldn't be that hard to find some arrows sticking out of the ground (though they may be FAR away).

Perhaps you should let your character buy the Fletching skill and just let him make his own arrows when he has to.

A 'Broken Arrow' code used during the Viet Nam war meant that an american unit was about to be overrun by enemy forces and it was a shout for help from every available fighter/bomber to converge on the coordinates and attack (see the movie ' we were soldiers' or read the book 'we were soldiers once, and young')

As to your dilema, how about an INT check with various modifiers for terrain to recover lost arrows, then how about assigning a DEF and BODY rating to the arrow (ex. 2 DEF / 1 BODY) and any arrow doing damage over that amount is destroyed.

If you want to get really tricky assign a different rating to the arrowhead itself, to simulate the difference between the metal arrowhead and the wooden shaft, that way a character with a fletching skill wouldnt have to keep using up / buy

arrowheads for every arrow he/she created.