Question on Only in Hero ID and Instant change.

Ragdoll

If a character can surround herself with a watery sheath to protect herself from harm, and defines it as 'armor'. Then applies the Only in Hero ID, then takes the Instant change power as well. Can they then change forms as a 0 phase action, no longer limited by the disadvantage. I'd say not, but I'm not sure. [admits]

The over arching concern with Only in Hero ID is this:

Can your enemies or situation prevent you from switching identies?

IF they can, you get the limit. If you can change instantly into Hero ID and there is no reasonable way for them to stop you, then it is not worth a limit. It is just a neeto special effect.

Originally posted by Jhamin

Can your enemies or situation prevent you from switching identies?

Or, is there a drawback to being in Hero ID that would prevent you from using it, or make it so you want to change back?

Really, implied in the previous statement, but sometimes overlooked.

Originally posted by GamePhil

Or, is there a drawback to being in Hero ID that would prevent you from using it, or make it so you want to change back?

Really, implied in the previous statement, but sometimes overlooked.

When the waterly sheath is activated, any living thing that touches her gets the water sucked out of their body. Prolonged exposure can result in dehydration and unconciousnes. Is that enough of a reason? [asks]

As for stopping her. No, they can't stop her from 'changing'. She can activate the form/water sheath by thinking about it. She couldn't if knocked out, or she could be snuck up on and attacked and killed. But if she were knocked out, then say, tied up, when she awoke, she could turn the sheath on, she'd still be tied up of course, but her powers would be activated. And since it's just a sheath that covers her...does she really 'need' instant change? [wonders] I'll admit, I'm having a hard time grasping it. I mean, I could understand if she were transforming into another form. If she were a weak normal, then could transform into a physically different person with super strength and more mass and height..then she might need instant change to alter her clothing to suit..but..would a sheath of water hat covers her apply in that sense? [wonders]

Ragdoll.

Originally posted by Ragdoll

When the waterly sheath is activated, any living thing that touches her gets the water sucked out of their body. Prolonged exposure can result in dehydration and unconciousnes. Is that enough of a reason? [asks]

It could be. I'll give you an example: if she has a Public Identity, and she further has Protective of Innocents, the bad guys could stop her from changing by tying her up with an innocent. With a Code Vs. Killing, a particularly brave thug could force her to change back by grabbing her. Even without the actual Disadvantages, such tactics might force her to change back.

And since it's just a sheath that covers her...does she really 'need' instant change? [wonders] I'll admit, I'm having a hard time grasping it.

I would say so, but because of game mechanics rather than special effect. Working from mechanics can lead one astray, though. It also has the advantage that when she changes back, her clothes will be dry.

The problem I have mechanically is somewhat complicated to explain. It starts with it taking a phase to change outfits (is this still true in 5th?). Now, if all she were doing were turning on her powers, and that was her Hero ID, I'd say that was a 0 Phase Action to turn them on, if they didn't have the Limitation on them. The Limitation, however, inconveniences the character, so I'd say that she needs a full phase to change unless she takes Instant Change, which partly mitigates the inconvenience of the Limitation (but not fully).

Originally posted by GamePhil

The problem I have mechanically is somewhat complicated to explain. It starts with it taking a phase to change outfits (is this still true in 5th?). Now, if all she were doing were turning on her powers, and that was her Hero ID, I'd say that was a 0 Phase Action to turn them on, if they didn't have the Limitation on them. The Limitation, however, inconveniences the character, so I'd say that she needs a full phase to change unless she takes Instant Change, which partly mitigates the inconvenience of the Limitation (but not fully).

The disadvantage of Only in Hero ID, in 5E states that a person with this limit, must take 'at least' a phase or 'more' to change. So I could kind of see it taking a phase, I suppose. [pensive] And of course, your mention of the Hero ID being a problem and not wanting to stay in it all the time, is another good reason, I think to keep the limit. Afterall, it's going to be inconvenient for her to pick someone up, or catch them, or drag them away if they are hurt, if she touched them, and they start to become dehydrated. She'd have to drop the sheath to do that, and without it, she could be killed easily. So, I can see the limit. I may include instant change then. [thinks]