Rocketship Empires!

NestorDRod

Thought to pass this along.

http://www.rocketshipempires.com/

It's a systemless campaign setting mixing pulp WWII, space opera, and Lovecraftian horror.

Very interesting read, with lots of stuff worth stealing if you don't want to use the setting by itself.

The forums actually mention using Hero as one of the systems to run it with.

Re: Rocketship Empires!

So, have you picked it up yet?

The author came around a few years back with info on the setting, and it looked really cool. I'm kind of surprised to see it actually out after going so long with no news.

Yes, I have. I'm reading through the book now. I also picked up the Gunslinger Betty sourcebook with it.

For a systemless campaign, it is chock-full of detail, almost more than one can digest in one read. It's obvious the author has put a lot of thought into the world.

There're a few typos here and there, but not more than one would find in your average game book.

He has a rating system, reminiscent of Fudge, to classify items, such as weapons, armor and ships. That way, you can plug in values from your favorite RPG and scale appropriately. It's pretty ingenious.

The neat thing is that he's obviously trying to mirror historical events into the campaign world. For example, the Spanish Civil War is occurring, but the battlefields are out among the colonized planets of the Spanish Monarchy, as opposed to Earth. Assumedly, when WWII starts, it'll be played out among the stars, as opposed to just one planet.

Travel between star systems uses "jump space". The catch is that there's something evil in jump space that makes weird things happen. So you could easily run a scenario based on Alien or Event Horizon.

Like I said, the book is rich in source material. at $9, it's worth the price, IMO.

Hmmm...

My Pulp campaign takes place in 1935.

Well, there you go then. :)

Of course, RE has a very alternate timeline. To make along story short, aliens (OK, they're Martians, but then this is pulp) visit Earth shortly after the Great War and offer to uplift the human race on the condition it helps them fight a war with an alien threat at the edges of space once they're up to it.

At campaign start, humans are just getting their feet wet, so to speak, colonizing areas around the home system in roughly radial fashion, based on the factions in the League of Nations. So you have a French corridor, a German/Nazi corridor, an American corridor (including a separatist Confederate section), and so on.

Really, check the site out. It does a better job than I could on explaining it.

Thought to pass this along.

http://www.rocketshipempires.com/

It's a systemless campaign setting mixing pulp WWII, space opera, and Lovecraftian horror.

Very interesting read, with lots of stuff worth stealing if you don't want to use the setting by itself.

The forums actually mention using Hero as one of the systems to run it with.

Very nice page thanks for pointing it out

Thanks, had some computer problems last night, so i will have to try and watch it tonight.

pretty neat' date=' picked it up for ideas[/quote']

Me too. Got all three releases. Great ideas, though I am leaning toward rockets more along the line of the Zarkov Rocket. My game hasn't pushed into space yet, but with a little tailoring/re-write the ships and stuff could be used :eg:

Guest steamteck

My superhero world has basically pulp era tech enhanced by alien tech from an alien invasion decades ago. Not really into space yet either but I'll mine it for ideas and who knows?

My superhero world has basically pulp era tech enhanced by alien tech from an alien invasion decades ago. Not really into space yet either but I'll mine it for ideas and who knows?

I don't wnat to give too much away because a couple of my players hang out here too :sneaky:

• 1 month later...