New Mechanic: OmniPool Framework

schir1964

OmniPool

An OmniPool allows several conceptually linked Powers to be collected in a single framework. The character gets a point break compared to buying the Powers separately, at the cost of some freedom:

• All the Powers in an OmniPool must belong to the same overarching concept. The Powers can be considered different aspects of the same power, e.g. a telekinetic force or an elemental power. If a Power doesn't fit into the overarching concept, it doesn't belong in the OmniPool. The GM is the final arbitrator in how broad an OmniPool concept can be.
  • If one of the Powers in the OmniPool is Drained or Suppressed, the other Powers are likewise affected (they are, after all, aspects of the same power)
  • Depending on how the OmniPool is bought, it may not be possible to use all the Powers in the OmniPool at the same time.

OmniPool Structure

An OmniPool consists of a number of Powers and two Limits.

• Active Limit: No Power in the OmniPool can have an Active Cost greater than the Active Limit. Linked Powers that go off together count as one Power for this purpose.
  • Real Limit: The total Real Cost of Powers in the OmniPool that are active at one time cannot exceed the Real Limit. If you e.g. want two Powers of Real Cost 60 and 30 to be active at the same time, the Real Limit should be at least 90.
  • Powers: Powers are bought in Power Slots. A Power Slot can consist of one or more Powers. The cost of a Power Slot depends on how flexible access to the Powers in the Slot are. There are three different types of Power Slots: A Fixed Slot, a Scalable Slot and a Variable Slot (which itself comes in four varieties). Variable Slots allow great flexibility, but are a bit complex in use and are hence only recommended for experienced players.

Power Slots

• Fixed Slot: When a Power in a Fixed Slot is active, the full Real Cost of the Power in the Slot counts towards the Real Limit, even if the Power isn't used at full power.
  • Scalable Slot: The player can decide from phase to phase how much of a Power in a Scalable Slot that is active, and only this portion of the Power counts towards the Real Limit.
  • Variable Slot: A Variable Slot can be a different Power or combination of Powers every time it is used. A Variable Slot can be Fast or Slow depending on how easy it is to change the Power(s) in the Slot, and it can be Free or Limited depending on the range of Powers available. All Variable Slots are Scalable.
    • A Fast Slot can be changed instantly. Changing a Fast Slot can be either conscious or automatic (not both). If conscious, you can change the Power(s) as a 0-phase action. If automatic, the Power(s) change to fit the circumstances without conscious character control (and will change even if the character is unconscious). This is e.g. suitable for an adaptive power that changes to fit a certain environment or the last attack the character was hit by.
    • A Slow Slot can only be changed between scenes. Changing a Slow Slot usually requires several hours of tinkering or meditation and most likely access to a workshop and/or a collection of reference manuals (e.g. magic tomes). The exact circumstances depend on the overarching concept of the OmniPool.
    • A Free Slot can be changed into any Power(s) that fit within the overarching concept of the OmniPool.
    • A Limited Slot can only be changed into a narrow range of Power(s). In general, the Powers in a Limited Slot must do more or less the same thing, e.g. be different variations of a fire attack, different Movement Powers, different Drains, or different defenses. The GM may allow different kinds of restrictions on the range of Powers, e.g only Powers the character's current opponent has (a mimic power), but the range of Powers should be much narrower than what is allowed by the overarching concept of the OmniPool.

OmniPool Cost

• Active Limit: Cost = 1 point per 2 points of maximum Active Cost. If a Limitation is shared among all Powers in the OmniPool, the same Limitation can be taken on the cost of the Active Limit.
  • Real Limit: Cost = 1 point per 2 points of maximum active Real Cost. No Limitations can be taken on the cost of the Real Limit.
  • Fixed Slot: Cost = 1 point per 10 points Real Cost of the Power(s) in the Fixed Slot.
  • Scalable Slot: Cost = 1 point per 5 points Real Cost of the Power(s) in the Scalable Slot.
  • Variable Slot: Cost depends on the combination of Fast, Slow, Free, and Limited:
    • A Fast, Free Slot costs 3 character points for every 2 points of Real Cost.
    • A Fast, Limited Slot costs 1 character point for every 1 point of Real Cost.
    • A Slow, Free Slot costs 1 character point for every 2 points of Real Cost.
    • A Slow, Limited Slot costs 1 character point for every 3 points of Real Cost.

Example: Shape-Change OmniPool

23 Active Limit 46

45 Real Limit 90

05 Fixed Slot: Shape Shift All Shapes, 0 END (+½). Real Cost 45

09 Scalable Slot: Growth rank 6, 0 END (+½). Real Cost 45

09 Scalable Slot:Shrinking rank 3, 0 END (+½). Real Cost 45

09 Scalable Slot: Stretching 6", 0 END (+½). Real Cost 45

30 Variable Slot (Fast, Limited): Any Movement Power that fits shape. Real Cost 30

Total Cost: 130

Example: Elemental Magic OmniPool

10 Active Limit 50, Limitation: All Powers require Gestures (-½), Incantations (-½) and Extra Time (-½)

20 Real Limit 40

15 Variable Slot (Fast, Free): Real Cost 10

10 Variable Slot (Slow, Free): Real Cost 20

Total Cost: 75

The Elementalist must spend hours of preparation to memorize three major spells, but can do all sorts of minor 'cantrips' (Active Cost 25 with the standard limitations) without this preparation. Two major slots or any less-than-full-power combination totaling 40 real points can be active at the same time. Instant spells take a full phase to cast, spells with duration take 1 turn to cast.

The 'cantrip' slot can be used to cast just as powerful spells as the other slots (50 active points) if extra limitations are taken on the power, e.g. Concentration (-½), Focus Spell Book (-1) and additional Extra Time worth -1 (~ 1 minute for instant spells, 5 hours for spells with duration).

Concept By [/b]Klaus Mogensen

Re: New Mechanic: OmniPool Framework

Since I'm a VPP Hound I went and fiddled with the numbers to see what would happen to the characters in the group who currently have variable power pools. In this case: telepathy (80 Point Pool, current cost 112), Water Control (80 Point Pool, 100), fundamental forces of motion (160 Point Pool, current cost 220 points). The reason for the size of the latter one is that fundamental forces are extremely expensive to model in hero (esp. in terms of active points) - even when the effects are moderate - see steve's comments in USPD1.

Under the current framework the first two came in at 120 points FOR ONE SLOT and the third one weighed in at 320 points FOR ONE SLOT. That's comprable to the current cost for the first two - except that I need an unknown number of slots at unknown values to play them, which will make all of them impossible to model with this framework as it currently stands - esp. the last one.

At the same time I like the idea behind the omniframework so I started fiddling to see if I could get more reasonable costs (in terms of a way of doing variable power pools with it. I came up with this:

Variable Slot: A Variable Slot can contain a different power every time it is used. It can be any power within the overarching concept of the OmniPool. Just like the Scalable Slot, only the Real Cost of the portion of the power that is actually used counts towards the OmniPool's Real Limit. Cost: 1:1.

A variable slot may contain more than one power at a time if it takes a Really Variable +1 on the Active Limit. In such a case - the variable slot functions like the current variable power pool.

Example:

Telepathy Pool (AL80/RL80/VS80), Really Variable +1, Requires Skill Roll In Combat -1, Telepathy FX Only -1. Cost: 147.

This compared to:

80 Point VPP. Cost: 80.

40 Control Cost, Cosmic (+2), Telepathy Only (-1). Cost: 60.

Total Cost: 140.

or

80 Point VPP. Cost: 80.

40 Control Cost, 0 Phase to Change Powers (+1), Telepathy Only (-1). Cost: 40.

Total Cost: 120.

I know--

I'm a little late to pat this dog--

but am I the only one who gets that 'framework within a framework' vibe reading through this?

The idea was to combine all frameworks into one format. As such, you'll need to elaborate.

The idea was to combine all frameworks into one format. As such' date=' you'll need to elaborate.[/quote']

Ah; I see ;)

I've been away from the board a while, so I'll need to hunt about and see what I can find on the original concept before I step on any toes or chew on mine,

but from reading just the first post of this thread, I was hit with that "it's a multipower with pools in each slot, or maybe a power pool for building multipowers---"

and the GM instinct of SMITE IT! SMITE IT NOW! kicked in :rofl::rofl:. That's all ;)

Ah; I see ;)

I've been away from the board a while, so I'll need to hunt about and see what I can find on the original concept before I step on any toes or chew on mine,

but from reading just the first post of this thread, I was hit with that "it's a multipower with pools in each slot, or maybe a power pool for building multipowers---"

and the GM instinct of SMITE IT! SMITE IT NOW! kicked in :rofl::rofl:. That's all ;)

You can look at the evolution of the idea in the "power frameworks" thread in the "6th edition discussion" forum. The original construct worked well as an alternative to EC and MP constructs, but didn't simulate VPPs well. My post was an initial attempt at fixing that problem. A better solution was proposed in the other thread and lined up pretty well with current VPP costs. Basically, you buy a really expensive slot (cost 1:1) that's defined as functioning like a VPP. It makes more sense if you look at the numbers in the other thread.