X-plain the Rule of X?

teh bunneh

Re: X-plain the Rule of X?

The best thing about Rule of X is that it is more flexible than fixed AP caps and yet still provides some way of limiting the power level of the characters relative to each other.

The problem with rule of X is what to include. Too many things and it gets really complicated, too few and you have to impose other forms of capping as well.

If you have a stable group then a Rule of X normally comes to the fore naturally that doesn't have to be written down explicitly.

Doc

I have to agree with you on all of that, DD!

My group has played around with different formula, and never were really that happy with what we came up with.

I try to stay away from AP limits, because they can easily ban certain character builds. Generally, we try to follow the "if I can do more damage, I shouldn't hit as often" and the "if I am going to get hit a lot, I should have higher defenses".

We have basically decided not to decide on a specific formula. So, the burden falls on me.

I find the players make a huge difference, even if the characters stats end up being pretty similar on paper.

If one player is thinking tactically and using all the options at their disposal, then chances are that player is going to appear a lot more powerful and effective than someone that just throws the same high damage attack over and over again until the bad guys fall down.

Yup' date=' that's a pretty high powered game there. Just curious: what do you throw at these characters for enemies? Wouldn't they just chew through regular villains like Green Dragon and Pulsar?[/quote']Well, we whipped Eurostar once*; but it's not a fight I'd much care to repeat as we barely squeaked by. Our team, MidGuard, is the JLA/Avengers analogue in our campaign so we're supposed to be pretty tough. Characters like Green Dragon or Pulsar would generally be pretty easy to defeat. We had a scenario a couple of years ago where two characters, our brick Silhouette and fast MA Zl'f mentioned above, together beat five 250 point homegrown villains rather easily as the intro to a scenario (The bad guys were imports from another lower-powered campaign and were not designed to fight MidGuard). We mostly use homegrown villains or beefed-up versions of CKC/VVV badguys with the serial numbers filed off. :D

(P.S. Also, how many character points? They feel like they might be up in the 450 range or a bit higher...)
Highest point character right now is Zl'f having 443 points including unspent XP; most of the team is in the 400-420 range. Our campaign has been running, on and off, since 1993.

* http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6990