Let's make a superhero base? What remains?

Hermit

Thus far our 'Let's make a super hero base' efforts has yielded us a city based HQ for our as yet unnamed team. It has two parts, hidden beneath it is a former Golden Age super team's headquarters the modern team is trying to keep secret and undisturbed.

Above is the public face, a very tall courthouse, in Art Deco architecture (built in the 1920s), with a subway station in the basement. The base is suitably defended, with robot guards in reserve, but a human security detail on hand that monitors the cameras, alarms, and pressure plates (etc) to handle the day to day routine. There are others on the staff not related to security but support the place admirably. They're mentioned below.

Tanaka Fudo was freed from a life time of violence, stealth and slaughter when the superhero team defeated his clan (and his Patriarch died in an attempt to destroy them), Fudo (Tanaka is his family name) wants now nothing more than repay them in a way that does not require the sword. He offered his services instead as Butler, and has served admirably since. Dubbed by at least one of the heroes as being "Terribly Japanese", Fudo must tolerate the western world's barbaric quirks, such as keeping shoes on, or speaking too loudly in an undignified fashion. Fudo does find some amusement (that his face does not betray) making the heroes jump as he steps out of the shadows to ask if they require anything.

Betty "Bambi" Wilson was a street walker, who ended up in some bad situations more than once. After the prostitute had her life saved by the heroes the third time, Bambi began to suspect that maybe they had a point about their being something better... so when one of the superheroes mentioned trying to help her, she took him up on it, and became a maid for the team. Once nearly hooked on drugs, she's very glad she managed to 'dodge that bullet'. While originally she hid her insecurities under a facade of flirtation, Betty has blossomed into being truly confident about her self worth. She's gotten good at her job very quickly, but still finds herself often giving the heroes the benefit of her streetwise savvy and knowledge of the underbelly of the city. While flirting up to now has been mostly just fun for her, she has begun seriously considering entering a romance with one of the male superheroes, one that actually involves wining, dining, and at least a few weeks of seeing if they click before anything gets to the next level. She's joked to one of the female superheroes that she actually finds the idea of traditional dating 'rather kinky', though it was tongue in cheek.

Rex, the Wonder Dog, has served with two teams, one of them the Golden Age team that came before, and now this modern one. For a time, Rex's gift of hyper intelligence, uncanny ability to speak as well as any human, and longevity (He ages only one year for every seven a human goes through) seemed more a curse than a blessing. The current heroes presumed him dead until one of them stumbled onto an illegal "Circus of Freaks" where the poor dog was made to perform. They rescued him, and now gray muzzled (after all, he's almost 10 even if he does age slower), the Lab Shepherd Mix tends to the base and its residents with loyalty, and is ready to talk the ears off the 'young pups' about the old days if they let him. Rex's fangs are blunted by time, and his senses not as keen as they were, but this proud canine companion insists he is still useful. Given that he speaks German, Russian, Italian, Japanese and Chinese in addition to English, and can communicate with other dogs just fine, there's no doubt that if there were a position of 'team translator', he'd probably have it.

One can get to the hidden Golden Age section by pneumatic person sized tubes, and that section contains the Hall of Memory, a round marble table with an oath engraved, a golden age heroine in status until a cure for her super virus can be found, and a map on the wall showing secret (nigh legendary) locations across the globe. Currently, the modern team is in a state of flux. The team once had seven members, but two have (pick one) left, retired, died, or been kicked out. Another member has also announced his intention to step down in the next year, but has agreed to stay long enough for the hero team to find a few replacements. Any hero who does join will probably be pleased by the VIP style rooms.

Each quarters is large, comes with jacuzzi, and other amenities. Some the heroes actually prefer these rooms to their regular apartments and homes, but others worry they could be losing touch with the citizenry if they spend too much time here and so use them less. There are at least three science labs, two of them (the Forensics/Crime lab, and the Medical Lab) are state of the art/top of the line, and one physics lab that is truly super, the sort of tech only superheroes and villains seem to get access to. In this last lab, wonders that most scientists only can dream of occur almost regularly, and science fiction is science fact. There are, of course, other rooms.

The Combat Simulation Room (IE we'd call it a danger room but don't want to get sued) has low level holograms, fancy hydraulics combined with modular design, and test robots. The walls are very thick, and the room could be used to hold most prisoners for a short time if needed, but is not built purposely for such. The Monitor Room/Communications Center is the hub for the heroes (as opposed to the room where human security observes the internal workings of the base) with constant keyword searches on going through high speed internet, connection to police bands, and so on. The Library/Study may seem low tech compared to the rest, but it is as much a place of intellectual relaxation as learning, and has an unofficial 'shhh' rule.

For those preferring nature, there is a greenhouse garden area that doubles as a mystical sanctum and has its own wood nymph. The public reception area is surprisingly warm and inviting, meant to make the public feel secure and welcome while not compromising the security beyond it. In old subway station section there is a hidden hanger, where the team vehicle is housed.

Lastly, there is an Aquatic environment room that doubles as a pool, and has a recreation area outside the water with a ping pong table, a foosballs machine, and a high tech counter that produces pizzas.

Overseeing the top/modern part of the base is an Artificial Intelligence the team once saved from her mad scientist creator. She works especially well with the forensics lab, and her personality might be best described as a "perky goth" ......... As the above long windedness might indicate, we seem to have fleshed out the base pretty darn nicely. The thing is obviously huge. So I ask, what remains that is poll worthy? A name for the base itself? More details on the rooms already mentioned? Or are we done with the base? And if done with the base, is it time to start providing a few more details on the superheroes themselves? One idea I have is to make a poll with a selection of personal bed room descriptions for the unnamed superheroes, and use this as a method of which rooms (and thus, which heroes) you want in the base. Please let me know, and to all of those who have shown an interest, and contributed thus far, my thanks for your patience and enthusiasm.

Re: Let's make a superhero base? What remains?

I support a Personal Room poll. (They seem to large to be just bedrooms.) Maybe a large poll 15-20 if you can go that big' date=' pick 5, runners up lead in for the missing members maybe?[/quote']

Well, I'm not sure I want to do THAT big a poll, but the personal room poll is very likely at this point unless others prefer not or suggest something better :)

I'm a little iffy on what kind of infrastructure questions should be asked --but I am in favour of them, just because they will help shape the team and make it much easier to come up with 7 concepts.

Uhm... neighbourhood? Perhaps what takes up the rest of the space? It's huge, so there must be a great deal of storage, at least by default. I mean, if there's plenty of truly empty space, then there's probably a half finished game of Drang Nach Osten set up in a former court room that some team members who retired in the 1970s are planning to restart some day. Or it could be a shiny pre-owned UFO, only driven to Earth once or twice a year by a megalomaniacal would-be world conqueror.

Currently the base is lacking a kitchen, cafe, or cook/servants, in my personal opinion. Otherwise, it seems pretty nicely planned.

Sorry, while it wasn't mentioned in this thread, I stated in an earlier one some rooms are a given, bathrooms, a kitchen, Closets for supplies, etc. I should have restated it above.

Though yes, pizzas are available by the pool too mmmmm

Our the heroes going to be published Champions heroes?

They won't be anyone 'official' of course.

Still unsure on exactly how we'll arrive to who our heroes are exactly. I've had some good suggestions thrown my way including interest in a sort of contest (Though the 'prize' would be merely glory and sweat ;) )