Tactical Skill Sharing

All right, so the Bunny built Adamant for the X-Men: TNG campaign over on Hero Central; good build, all the fun stuff. Unfortunately for me, I'm not entirely satisfied with the build on one of his powers, which reads thus:

Master Tactician... If You Do As I Say: +2 with All Combat, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (32 Active Points); Requires A Tactics Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Incantations (-1/4): Real Cost 21.

Okay, so, I love this idea. It's a great idea. I don't think it's complete, rules-wise, though; it needs range, but you transmit your orders via voice, which means you could do it via radio, which means you could do it at extraordinary ranges.

Also, the person can't use the power/skill unless they follow the directions of the tactician. Would that be a question of a Limitation on the power, or just the effect of whether or not the person is willing to be affected by the power?

How would you build?

Re: Tactical Skill Sharing

The can be heard part can be modeled using the "Voice Range" option for Incantations described in Fantasy HERO which defines a scenario where a person must be able to hear the Incantations of a Power to be affected by it.

As far as mandating that the recipients must do what the lender says to benefit, technically you need Usable As Attack so that the lender can control the power. But, in this case, you could probably get around it with a Limited Power...something like "Recipient Must Follow Directions Given In Incantations To Benefit From Levels". I'd call it a -1/4 to -1/2.

I think KS is probably right that it would require UAA, rather than Usable Simultaneously.

I would probably build it something like:

32: +2 with All Combat, Usable As Attack (+1), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1) (48 Active Points); Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Tactics Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4)

(probably need increased radius, though, and Selective... this gets really expensive very fast, but probably for good reason.

However, I would also argue that it is probably unnecessary. You could easily achieve similar results using tactics/teamwork. Teamwork used to coordinate attacks would reduce the target's DCV, which is probably good enough.

I'd go with the Change Environment option that allows modification of specific rolls, rather than applying advantages to the skill directly.

This may make the ability more consistent. Or, may not. Likely a matter of opinion.

I think the UBO skill levels are workable. It's basically a super skill version of the "Tactical Guidance" aspect of Tactics in the Ultimate Skill. Being hard could be handwaved or built with the Voice Range Modifier as KS suggested. Limited power would work for "Target must follow instruction" or that could be a special effect. In other words, they can use the levels freely assuming that what they do is what they were told or the tactician told them how to optimize their action.