Good vs. Evil - Keeping it Balanced

needo

Well I ran my first Champions game this weekend, with 7 people with limited experience in this system. (Not counting myself who doesn't have the a lot of experience).

It was interesting. The thing that took the longest honestly was the Speed/DEX for people going. I think that's because I was trying to keep track of it all instead of letting the players do it.

My problem however is this... I let them all become Standard Superheroes. (200 points, with 150 points of disadvantages)

Well we had a test session this weekend first time in combat. One guy completely killed one of the enemies out of Champions in one shot. (I believe it was Icicle).

Since these guys made such powerful charecters, what points should I base my enemies on to give them a chalenge and to keep things balanced?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Hermit

Yipes!

I have to ask, what attack did they use to 'kill' Icesicle in one shot?

I dont have the charecter sheet in front of me. So I'm trying to remember...

He punched him really hard, using Density Increase and a power focus I believe.

Now I'm curious as to how many D6 you rolled for the total. :) Others on these boards are much better at going on about "Rule of X" , Active Point limits, and Damage class limits... hopefully one will speak up.

To answer your original question, don't worry so much about points as results. There are people who are so good at making characters they're characters are nightmares at any amount of points. Normally, I prefer my bad guys able to take at least 3 hits before they go down to zero or less stun, some last more, some last less, but that's how the average works out.

As has been said by others, limiting points isn't as important as limiting how many dice of what type of damage you permit PCs to do. If you know that the strongest attacks are 12d6 normal or 4d6 killing, it's easier to make sure that the villains PCs face will be able to last as long as you'd like against that.

That said, Icicle is hardly a combat monster; some villains aren't optimized for big all out fights. For a villain, "Run Away" is always an honorable option. ;)

Originally posted by Hermit

There are people who are so good at making characters they're characters are nightmares at any amount of points.

Is that "so good", or "so rules-abusive"?

Characters are rarely nightmares unless they are designed to be nightmares.

Alan