Dark Champions Guns Table Errata?

shadowcat1313

I am putting together a 5th Ed guns etc database in open office just for my own use, and ran accross 2 anomalies

Dark Champions shows the Luger P-08 as having a 32 round clip, according to wiki thats only for the snail drum, its normally an 8 round clip. Pulp Hero has the correct figures for the luger

same thing with the M1A1 thompson, it shows the 50 round drum instead of the 20 round box magazine, the military thompsons wont take the drums. per wiki among other sources.

once I get this beast of a database finished... would there be any official interest in its use? so far I just have revolvers and pistols done, going to do seperate subtables for each gun type.

I also have a bunch of older hero related material I may try and convert, including Here There be Tigers.

NOTE: I will not release this for general consumption without somebodys ok.

I own or have access to paper copies of the books I am using.

Re: Dark Champions Guns Table Errata?

Not much idea on the P-08, I have very little interest in it, honestly... but for the tommy gun, here's a catalog from auto-ordnance: http://www.auto-ordnance.com/ao_catalog.html

They show 30 round stick magazines (which I believe is period correct), 50 and 100 round drum magazines. So there ya go on that.. :D There were many versions of the thompson, so it depends on the era, and versions that took only stick magazines and those that took both stick and drum. Military versions usually just used the stick mag.

at one time somebody said Reverend Moons church owned Thompson Auto Ordinance' date=' is this or was it true or just an urban legend?[/quote']

Who? Well, I'm no guru or anything, but I watched a special on the military channel or history channel about the Thompson, and while they did mention the company changing hands a few times, I don't remember them mentioning a Reverend Moon, whoever that is. =)

Edit: I just looked him up, and no, I don't think so... though, that looks like an odd story just from the wide diversity of opinions and "facts" about the guy... everything from speaking to Jesus personally to being evil incarnate. One way to be famous, I suppose...

I am putting together a 5th Ed guns etc database in open office just for my own use, and ran accross 2 anomalies

Dark Champions shows the Luger P-08 as having a 32 round clip, according to wiki thats only for the snail drum, its normally an 8 round clip. Pulp Hero has the correct figures for the luger

same thing with the M1A1 thompson, it shows the 50 round drum instead of the 20 round box magazine, the military thompsons wont take the drums. per wiki among other sources.

once I get this beast of a database finished... would there be any official interest in its use? so far I just have revolvers and pistols done, going to do seperate subtables for each gun type.

I also have a bunch of older hero related material I may try and convert, including Here There be Tigers.

NOTE: I will not release this for general consumption without somebodys ok.

I own or have access to paper copies of the books I am using.

Both the old lugers and mausers could take - and frequently had - extended clips of varying round capacities. In fact, during WWI, the mauser was more often issued with extended clips than not (40 rounds being the norm). I'm not sure about the luger in terms of what was handed out. The figure for the luger you cite is correct for a standard clip. I'm sure steve inadvertantly put an extended clip count in that one place. As for the Thompson, there was more than one version and the military wasn't the first to adopt it and only adopted specific models (though they tended to issue 20 and 30 round stick magazines). The post office, was, amusingly enough, the first offcial federal office to start using them.

The Thompson M1928A1 could use the 50 rnd drum, 20 and 30 rnd stick magazines. This is the model used by the US and the British early in WWII. It's easily recognized by the cuts compensator, the square looking rear adjustable sight and cooling fins on the barrel.

The M1928A1 was replaced in 1942 in the US arsenal by the Thompson M1A1which lacked the above mentioned distinctions and could only use the stick magazines. The M1928A1 would still be seen in use until the war's end.

The C96 Mauser had an internal magazine with max capacity of 20 for some models. The 20 round was quckly retired according to "Military Small Arms of the 20th Century" with the 10 rnd being most common. I would like to see your referance for the 40 rnd magazine during WWI. The M1711 modification (which changed to a detachable box magazine) gave it a 10, 20 or 40 rnd magazine capability. This was not available until 1930 tho'.

As for the P08 Luger, both the 8 rnd and a 32 rnd "snail drum" could be used and were available during WWI. The drum was usually issued with the Artillery or Navy models of the Luger which came with a longer barrel and a clip on stock similiar to the C96 Mauser. Matter of fact, the MP18 submachine was designed to use this same "snail drum" but the drum magazine was known for being finicky and easily malfunction when exposed to dirt and mud. Of which there was an abundance of in the trenches of WWI. In 1928 the drum magazine was adandoned all together for the MP18 when it was redesigned as the MP28 which had a standard stick magazine.

My referances include the 5th ed. of "Military Small Arms of the 20th Century" and the "Army Service Forces Catalog Government Issue Collectors Guide".

The SON of Reverend Moon owns "Kahr Arms" which bought the Thompson auto ordnance brand and such.

The Kahr guns have a very good reputation, and I believe he has also turned the Thompson auto ordnance brand from crud to good.

I don't believe he has any direct connection with the church, though I could be wrong.