Teaser Scenes - Anyone try this?

Dead guy on tab

Hello,

I was starting to do some bluebooking via e-mail with the players in my campaign and I had a thought to assist the start of a session: teaser scenes.

What I am thinking of doing is sneding each player a short introduction to a scene a while before the next session so they can think about how they want to respond to it. When the session roles around, I start with the intro to these scenes and finish them. I think this might help the usual where are we again, plus the players can have what the setup for the first scene will be to get into character.

Has anyone tried this? How did it work?

Re: Teaser Scenes - Anyone try this?

It works well, but it can be a lot of work if people are starting in different scenes. At the same time, the players did come with expectations and more revved up to get going than normal. Also, since I emailed them out they had a chance to ruminate on it together as apropos. Overall, I still relied on "when last we met" at the beginning of a session, but it was worth doing, I think. Another thing I did was: if there was some object or non-player character the characters would have general knowledge about I sent out a little PR sketch "so and so is the founder of aerotech and well known for his philanthropic efforts," etc. It also allowed me to give players whose characters had special knowledge of something to walk in armed without my having to give it over mid session. They could do that in character.

Re: Teaser Scenes - Anyone try this?

I do something like this with my FtF game. Sometime prior to the start of the next session (usually the night before *sigh*), I write up a short scene -- frequently something happening behind the scenes -- to lead into the adventure.

I keep the campaign log on LiveJournal, and post it there (which also gives everyone an excuse to read the summary -- plus additional behind the scenes stuff -- of what happened on the last session).