Keeping track of END, STUN and BOD.

Sir Ofeelya

I have begun experimenting with using coloured poker chips to keep track of PC STUN, END and BOD. I hate book keeping and making sure everyone keeps track of these things, END especially, annoys the hell out of me. Anyway, each player gets coloured chips equal to the total of their stats and each turn they toss them into the pot, only taking them back when they take recoveries.

Anyone else doing this or something like it?

Re: Keeping track of END, STUN and BOD.

I've toyed with using chips in this fashion, and it works OK as long as the players are on board with the idea. The only real problem we ran into was because one player kept forgetting which colours represented tens, fives and ones :)

We run our game without any free post-12 recoveries (i.e. the character has to spend an action to take a recovery), and everyone just tossed their chips into a central pile as they used END etc. and fished them out as they took recoveries. It worked just fine.

Am I the only one thinking about the Knights of the Dinner Table group that uses M&M's for this? "He's eating my XP again!"

I don't see why a stack of poker chips (one color for each of BOD, END and STUN) can't work. It provides a visual for how close the character is to exhaustion, KO or death. That may or may not be desirable. Do the players get to see the NPC chip stacks?

How do you deal with negative STUN or BOD?

You could get colored chips/beads of different sizes... I usually use the full sized poker chips for 10s, then smaller (about 3/4 inch markers I found at a gaming store) for the 1s... END is green, STUN is yellow and BOD is red... For villains I just run an Excel WS on my laptop (whatever did I do before computers? Oh, yeah, dry erase boards...:doi:)