Darkness to HRRH, not so simple modifiers

mkpegg

Hiya

been away from HERO for a few years (so hard to get in the UK) so a bit rusty.

I’ve a character that has electrical powers that has a continuous area effect static field around himself, that’s no problem,

Change Environment 4†radius (Static Field)

0 End

Persistent

Always on

Fills area with static, small static shocks, hair stands on end etc

Also gives –1 PER to HRRH in the effected area.

The problem I have is he has the ability (with effort) to amp this field up so it blocks out all radio transmission in a large area. Once this field has been amped up it tends to stick at this level (costing no end) until he consciously turns the power off (with even more effort).

The way I see the power is like this.

Darkness 1†v’ HRRH

Megascale 1†= 1km

No range

Concentration to start 0 DCV

Activation roll to start 15-

X5 End for each start attempt

0 End after start

Continuos

Uncontrolled

Concentration to stop 0 DCV

Activation roll to stop 11-

X5 End for each stop attempt

I’m having trouble working out the cost due to the way the modifiers are used in a non standard way.

Can someone give some advice.

Mike

I have no idea how to figure the points cost. I just want say that I thought the power Idea was really cool.

****Edit****

Let me give it a shot.

Darkness 1†HRRH (Non Targeting Sense 5pts)

+1/4 Mega Scale 1km

+1/2 END =0

+1 Continuous

+1 Uncontrolled

Active Cost 19pts

-1/4 Activation 15-

-1/4 Activation END

-2 END X5

-1/4 Deactivation END

-1/2 Concentration (DCV = 0) at Activation and Deactivation

-1/2 Deactivation 11- [i reduced this one because it’s not as big of a disadvantage to have problems turning it off, in my opinion.]

Total Cost 4pts (You big spender)

As a GM I probably would only give you half value for the END X5 modifier, bringing the cost up to a big 5pts total.

Some notes:

Both the Change Environment and the Darkness need to be bought Usable As Attack (with the Self Only limitation if you want), since by default area powers don't move once created. Usable As Attack lets the power move with you.

Activation 15-, only to start is definitely a -0 Limitation: it's closest to Requires a Skill Roll but with no Skill and no penalty for Active points.

I would also drastically reduce the value of x5 END on the assumption that most of the time it really won't matter. If that assumption was false (depends on the campaign), I'd give a higher value. I picked -1.

I would give a Limitation value for the deactivation stuff; instead, I'd make that part of the condition that shuts off the Uncontrolled power. Of course, there would also have to be other methods that other people could use as well.

Here's what I get:

Cost Power END
4 Radio Silence: Darkness to Radio Group 1" radius, Activation 15- to Start (+0), Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4), Reduced Endurance 0 END (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1); 5x END (-1), No Range (-1/2), Concentration 0 DCV (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Costs END to activate (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 4

Well that was a quick reply.

Thanks Demonsong, I'd go with the 5 points (can the character afford the cost :D )

Ok the character also has Electrokinesis as a power, think Pyro but with electricity.

How would you model his ability to shape and control electricity?

Mike

Geoff,

I am not sure about the usable as an attack. Darkness is already an attack power.

In the dictionary under redundant there are two definitions. :)

Electrokineses: I would probably use a multi-power (I like multi-powers) with several fixed slots, like: EB, RKA, TK, Mind Control Machines, ECT…. Add in a separate Flight or Teleportation (visible and call it lighting transport). A little Adsorption energy to multi-power. And top it off with a force field. I don’t now what else to add, but I think that would cover most of the electrical powers Electrokineses would manifest, I guess.

After I read your post again Geoff I agree...

+1/4 Mega Scale 1km

+1/2 END =0

+1 Continuous

+1 Uncontrolled

+1 Usabale as an attack

Active Cost 24pts

-1/2 No Range

-1/4 Activation 15-

-1/4 Activation END

-1 END X5

-1/4 Deactivation END

-1/2 Deactivation 11- [i reduced this one because it’s not as big of a disadvantage to have problems turning it off, in my opinion.]

Total Cost 6pts

Originally posted by Demonsong

Geoff,

I am not sure about the usable as an attack. Darkness is already an attack power.

Generally, this doesn't matter -- an area effecting power doesn't move with someone unless it's bought UAA. However, there is a specific exception for Darkness. :)

Yeah, darkness can be bought with no range, target self only and the effect moves with the charater.

Thats the effect I'd want with the Change Enviro as well. I don't see this effect as an advantage but a limitation so I'd not go with Usable As Attack.

As to the Electrokenisis, forget all the attack powers it's the manipulation and control of the electricity I'm interested in.

Pyro could shape fire at will, ok most of the times you saw him do it was with an attack (yeah special effects come to mind too) but whats the best way to model the manipulation bearing in mind that touching it would still still give an electro shock (damage shield).

Mike

Originally posted by Demonsong

After I read your post again Geoff I agree...

+1/4 Mega Scale 1km

+1/2 END =0

+1 Continuous

+1 Uncontrolled

+1 Usabale as an attack

Active Cost 24pts

-1/2 No Range

-1/4 Activation 15-

-1/4 Activation END

-1 END X5

-1/4 Deactivation END

Total Cost 6pts

OK, the one I disagree with is "activation END " being a -1/4 limitation. I would instead reduce 0 END to +1/4. Why, you ask?

Let's use a different construct to illustrate. We'll say it's an 4d6 EB, NND, Area Effect, Continuous, Uncontrolled. That's got an active cost of 100 (20 x 5), right? Tack on 0 END. It now has an active cost of 110. With me so far?

Now let's make it cost END to start up. "10 END Please!" Well, that reduces the cost to 110/1.25 = 88, so it saves 22 points. If I had the power cost ordinary END every phase instead, it COSTS me 12 points. :confused:

So I would reduce the advantage, not apply a separate limitation.

Oh, and if you want to get technical, a power can't have both "Increased End" and "Reduced End", can it? Maybe just buy 0 END and take a side effect that does END damage rather than STUN damage ;)

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

OK, the one I disagree with is "activation END " being a -1/4 limitation. I would instead reduce 0 END to +1/4. Why, you ask?

Let's use a different construct to illustrate. We'll say it's an 4d6 EB, NND, Area Effect, Continuous, Uncontrolled. That's got an active cost of 100 (20 x 5), right? Tack on 0 END. It now has an active cost of 110. With me so far?

Now let's make it cost END to start up. "10 END Please!" Well, that reduces the cost to 110/1.25 = 88, so it saves 22 points. If I had the power cost ordinary END every phase instead, it COSTS me 12 points. :confused:

So I would reduce the advantage, not apply a separate limitation.

Oh, and if you want to get technical, a power can't have both "Increased End" and "Reduced End", can it? Maybe just buy 0 END and take a side effect that does END damage rather than STUN damage ;)

Just use the Costs END Only To Activate (+1/4) usually used for things like DI and Growth.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Some notes:

Both the Change Environment and the Darkness need to be bought Usable As Attack (with the Self Only limitation if you want), since by default area powers don't move once created. Usable As Attack lets the power move with you.

I thought that Darkness, when activated, could be set to move with the character possessing the Darkness.

I don't want to get involved in the blackout argument.

Except for one thing; I don't think it needs usable as an attack either. I was under the impression Darkness and Change Enviro with no range move with the character by default...it makes logical sense...the usable as attack argument seems to imply I am unallowed to effect anyone who wanders into the area...and I KNOW that isn't right.

About the Electrokinesis...I am unsure how to model all of Pyro's effects, but here are some things for you to consider::

One) An Energy Blast could mimic his special effects of requiring it to come from a "source" with an Indirect limitation.

Two) You can model his "energy constructs" as TK fields, much like a green lantern. You may get to include Visible. Add "Affects Object as a Whole" and a linked EB (Continuos? Damage Shield? Somebody Help me out here) that only affects targets grabbed with the TK. Rolling to hit would be a moot point if the target is grabbed by TK. :)

Three) Alternatively, monstrous energy constructs could be Summoned I imagine...complete with Damage Shield and BODY, since sufficient force will disperse one of Pyro's contructs.

Four) Force Walls purchased with a linked Damage Shield power will cause damage. It's actually in the book.

As a lenient GM I would probably let you apply the Force Wall Damage Shield style contruct to the Telekinetics, but I would charge you an Area Effect modifier for it to cover large constructs.

That's my two cents.

And shutting down electrical devices and areas is a Suppression or Dispel or Drain depending on how you picture his control.

Animating devices is a limited TK effect. Animating an electrical "field" is Summoning or TK...

Burning out electrical devices is usually a drain effect.

Suppress is temporarily damping their power.