Power Concept: Along for the Ride

I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a power, so I've come to the boards to see how you guys would do this:

As a power, the character I'm making is a desolidified guardian who would have a defensive skillset that would allow him to protect another character like advanced armor. The character would grant additional DCV and resistant defenses, but the problem is that if the target moved, my character would have to move with it.

My problem is how to develop the limitation/advantage that would force the character to lose their ability to move, always moving with the target instead (if they move farther than the character can move).

So in a nutshell, how could I work a set of powers (2-3 of them) to work as if a target is wearing my character as armor?

Re: Power Concept: Along for the Ride

As a power' date=' the character I'm making is a desolidified guardian who would have a defensive skillset that would allow him to protect another character like advanced armor. The character would grant additional DCV and resistant defenses, but the problem is that if the target moved, my character would have to move with it. [/quote']

Some good ideas so far. How do you see your character working in-game? Would he be providing the extra defence for his team-mates or would he be relying on beefing up random NPCs?

Doc

I was planning on using the character as a follower' date=' would could be used to assist other players depending on the situation. Effectively, the follower would be the prime method of defense for the main hero[/quote']

Well, what you could do is simply purchase extra defence and DEX and define the special effect as your guardian spirit wrapping itself around you. You could lock out other guardian based things when it is used in this way.

Doc

What about a physical disadvantage: no corporeal body. Assign it whatever value you (or if your not the GM, him/her) feel it's worth, I'd say high.

Essentially, like a character with no legs, he needs to be carried by another character, however since he does not have any weight of his own in the physical realm it would require no strength on behalf of the lifting character. So that this advantage does not outweigh the disadvantage, I'd make it necessary that some form of limited clinging, or perhaps a limited set of extra limbs (for grappling onto his host) be bought.

As a matter of fact as a GM I'd probably value the Disad. as equal to the power, since the benefits of the character's situation balance the negatives.

The other benefits granted to the wearing character could be granted as Aids, with persistant (or constant) and Limited Power: Must Touch Target. Several of these all built the same, one for say PD/ED, one for Strength etc.

Buy extra stats or use aid power with range and transdimensional, target benefactor of power, activate power (power is active but is limited- only active when character is in next dimension), character then has to go to next dimension (which is inside target).

Effect is Suit of Armor

30	Aid 1d6, Only works through dimensions (+0), 
 Ranged (+1/2), Transdimensional (Single Dimension; +1/2),                        
 [four powers] simultaneously (+1) (30 Active Points)

ya' date=' but that's the easy way out ;) This way i've got an offensive character and a defensive sidekick[/quote']

Easy mechanics and nothing about this solution deprives of the defensive sidekick. Essentially the Guiardian armour power locks out the follower power on your character sheet - when the armour is in place you 'lose' the sidekick anyway, no?

Doc

I was thinking duplication. Sometimes hes a dextrous armoured god and sometimes he's two people...

:)

Thats pretty good, duplication that locks out a multipower or a whole group of powers and stats.

The duplicate could be a simple but maybe competent normal or not...

Y'know' date=' I'm thinking multiform: sometimes he's a sidekick, sometimes he's a suit of armour.[/quote']

I was thinking duplication. Sometimes hes a dextrous armoured god and sometimes he's two people...

:)

Ah, the Firestorm build. ;)

Primary Character (the one with the separeate "follower") has Duplication (Always On) and Multiform (w/ limitation that Duplicate must be in HtH range to use).

The alternate form *doesn't* have Duplication. When the primary form shifts into the Multiform, the Duplicate disappears. When the alternate form shifts back, the Duplicate reappears.