Newbie Questions

needo

A couple real newbie questions... page numbers and books are acceptable answers. :)

1. - What's the difference between PD and resistant PD? The same goes for ED.

2. - How can you block an attack? If the enemy goes before or after the PC? Does the PC say "Im blocking." for his action thus getting the added DCV?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by needo

A couple real newbie questions... page numbers and books are acceptable answers. :)

1. - What's the difference between PD and resistant PD? The same goes for ED.

2. - How can you block an attack? If the enemy goes before or after the PC? Does the PC say "Im blocking." for his action thus getting the added DCV?

Thanks!

1. Take a look at Page 273 of FReD (Hero 5th) for an example of how resistant defenses work. :) Basically, there's regular Physical Defense (and Energy Defense) and Resistant PD or ED. Regular PD and ED is not, by itself, any good against Killing Attacks, but rPD or rED is. You can never have more resistant defense than you have in regular. Hope that helps.

2. Block is explained on Pg. 255, of the same book :) Martial Block is even better.

1) Okay, resistant defenses (Both Physical and energy, or rPD and rED) work against the body damage of killing attacks (The powers RKA and HKA, plus some other odd ball power constructs you should not worry about right now)

2) Okay you can abort to a dodge (This adds to your DCV), you can declair a dodge on the turn before ("I'm going to dodge anything coming my way"). Or you can block, in which you need to roll your OCV against there OCV to see if you avoid the damage, again you can abort to it. When you abort you give up your next action so you can do something defensive (You can ONLY abort to DEFENSIVE actions)

Re: Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by Hermit

You can never have more resistant defense than you have in regular.

Sure you can. Just buy a large amount of resistant defense with the disad "does not defend against non-killing attacks." I have no idea why someone would do so, or what the special effect would be, but it is trivially easy to do. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by Bartman

Sure you can. Just buy a large amount of resistant defense with the disad "does not defend against non-killing attacks." I have no idea why someone would do so, or what the special effect would be, but it is trivially easy to do. ;)

Mmm, touche'... that might even be able to explain the occaisional character in the comics who have bullets bounce off them one moment, then get knocked out by a lucky punch the next :)

I have actualy allowed a character to buy higher Damage resistance than they had of normal defences. The concept was that while he still felt pain as usual he could not be damaged easily (He was a robot with very sensitive touch sensors and a human brain)

Re: Re: Re: Newbie Questions

Originally posted by Bartman

So that's why Superman always dodged the gun...