Looking for a villain

Zed-F

I was looking for a villain that I could use as a hunter for one of my characters. I could always make one up but I thought maybe there's someone in the existing background material who might suit. I am looking for someone suitable for a superheroic setting (350 points max) who is either:

(a) A villain from the Turakian or Valdorian age, most likely with magical powers, or,

(B) A low-medium power villain with time-travel powers whose powerbase is nevertheless in the present (max 350 pts)

If there's something suitable in the source material it might be nice to use that, otherwise as I said I'll just make something up.

Originally posted by Hermit

Well, Takofanes fits A, except he's WAY too powerful a hunted (IMO). Perhaps one of his demon minions with a few tweaks?

The problem is they aren't really independant actors. I don't know of any other characters that fit the bill though. You could just take one of the 350 odd point characters and tweak the origin and powers to fit. Black Paladin would work well for that kind of treatment but you would need to lop a couple hundred points off him. The Monster wouldn't need any changes as he really doesn't have an origin. The slug might work, especially if the huntee was carrying some really old artifact, just give the hero lots of bad dreams about worms. Leach's master could assign him to hunt the character for some reason. Even if Leach has been around just a few years, his master could easily date from much earlier.

I don't know if any of these are any good for you Zed. But I really can't think of any characters who really fit what you are looking for.

From your description, Zed-F, it sounds as though you're playing a character from the distant past transported to the modern world, and you want his Hunter to have met him in the past, perhaps retaining antipathy from that earlier time. Do I have that right?

Do you use the Crowns of Krim in your campaign? The crowns that give them their powers (and corrupt their souls) date from at least the Turakian Age. One of them might take a special interest in your character for whatever reason you want to use, and go after him alone. If you want to increase the personal connection between them, the crowns might not only corrupt their wearers, but give them the memories of previous wearers, or even allow the soul of a previous owner to possess the body of the new one.

Of the Crowns already written up in CKC, Bloodstone sounds about the right power level for what you want.

Hope that helps. I'll keep pondering and let you know if something else comes to mind. :)

Well, you have the right idea, though I wasn't really thinking of having the hunter meet the character in the past. More like, I was thinking of having the character being hunted by someone who wants to use the character in a ritual attempt to channel power or draw followers/resources (e.g. through a gate) from the past to the present. I don't want a hunter that would be interested in building a powerbase in the past or attempting to alter history, however.

Whether such an attempt is even possible is an open question -- it could be an attempt that's doomed to failure, and the hunter in question doesn't know it. I DON'T want someone like Takofanes who could probably pull something off like that in his sleep without reference to my character. Since my character is for a 200-pt street supers type of game, even a 350 point hunter is a good deal more powerful, and most likely a criminal mastermind in this setting.

Unfortunately I'm hampered by the fact that I don't actually own any of these sourcebooks so I don't really know if there's anyone appropriate, or if so what they can do. For instance, I don't know anything about the Crowns of Krim. However, since I plan on posting the character here, it would be more useful for others to be able to use this character without having to make up her hunter, and that's why I was hoping for something from a sourcebook.

Even if I just know what the Crowns of Krim are & what kinds of powers they provide, or what evil deities a priest might worship in the Valdorian age (a priest of Edom?) and what powers they have, might be helpful as a tie-in.

Originally posted by Hermit

That's why I said tweaking, you'd need to make an exception of one of them and have it more free willed than normal.

Agreed. And that might prove to be a rather interesting character in of itself. I don't imagine that Takofanes would react favorably to independence in a minion. Add a couple of hundred point of defenses and other powers only vs Takofanes and you have a character who may prove to be rather important.

OK how about this. One of Takofanes' minions was a twin to the hero back in the Turakian age. When Takofanes turned him into a demon minion he ended up different. A link to his twin made him immune to Takofanes. As long as the hero lived Takofanes could not affect the demon. Due to some twist of fate the hero was sent forward in time. This left his demon brother in his immune state. Over the following millenia the demon researched his link to his brother and discovered a loophole. If he were to kill the hero the immunity would remain permanantly, and he would regain his human form without losing any of his abilities. So he has spent millenia prepairing to kill his brother. He has also constructed an elaberate net of disguise that prevents Takofanes from recognizing the hero. The hero of course doesn't know any of this. This provides plenty of chances for dramatic roleplaying, especially when the hero finally learns the full nature of his hunted. Does he let himself die to redeem his brother? Does he think it is all just a lie? And what does the rest of the team do when their best chance at defeating Takofanes demands a teammate in repayment?

Okay, I think I get where you're coming from now. In that case I think your best choice among published villains would be the Slug, from Conquerors, Killers and Crooks. He's a survivor of the race of Elder Worms (Lovecraftian humanoid horrors), who ruled mankind many millennia ago until humanity overthrew them and drove them into hiding. In the modern era an archaelogist uncovered the tomb of one of these Elder Worms, who possessed his body and transformed it into a duplicate of the Slug's original one.

The Slug intends to revive his race by transforming most of mankind into Elder Worms and enslaving the rest. For example, one past scheme of his in the history of the Champions Universe was to transform the entire population of New York into Elder Worms. He's always hunting for magical artifacts left behind by his people and other means to accomplish his goal.

The Slug has various Mental and Telekinetic powers and the ability to Transform humans into Elder Worms. He's built to the standards of a Standard Superhero at 350 points.

Does that sound promising?

It's certainly a possibility. I'd have to work on it some to polish it up, and figure out exactly what Slug would think he could accomplish through hunting my character, but it has potential. I seem to recall a bit about the character from 3rd Ed. but it's very hazy.

If you can post his current incarnation, it might be helpful. I might need to tweak him for a street-level game, though, as IIRC he was pretty 4-colour in 3rd edition.

Originally posted by Zed-F

It's certainly a possibility. I'd have to work on it some to polish it up, and figure out exactly what Slug would think he could accomplish through hunting my character, but it has potential. I seem to recall a bit about the character from 3rd Ed. but it's very hazy.

If you can post his current incarnation, it might be helpful. I might need to tweak him for a street-level game, though, as IIRC he was pretty 4-colour in 3rd edition.

I'm sorry, amigo, but the Hero Games management takes a dim view of people posting the writeups of their copyrighted characters on a public forum. :(

If you gave more of your character's background a logical connection might suggest itself to us. OTOH if your main concern over posting the character's writeup is to make it more "usable" for the rest of us, that's very considerate but IMHO not really necessary. Lots of gamers here don't use the published characters, or if they do often tweak them to suit their own campaigns. They could easily do that with a published villain that they wanted to use as your character's Hunter, or substitute an original character of their own, or even (Gasp!) modify your character to suit them.

I'd suggest just posting your character, with a description of the Hunter you have in mind, and let our twisted imaginations do the rest. ;)