Alternate Teams (inspired by Thunderbolts)

gmurie

Re: Alternate Teams (inspired by Thunderbolts)

I always thought that Freon (choosing to leave Viper)' date=' Icicle (after getting a bit more experince in the supervillain job market) and the Winter Dragon (after leaving Tiger Squad and going into freelance mercendary work) might make good henchmen for an Ice themed mastermind a la Mister Freeze. Adding in concepts based on some of the lower level ice-themed villains like Captain Cold (from Flash's Rogue gallery-essentially a thug with a cold gun) and Blizzard (from Marvel- essentially a thug with ice powers) might be a good one too. Then adding a Killer Frost homage with heat themed drain powers rounds the team out nicely.[/quote']

Meh. I never really liked the "Hey you've got power X, I too have power X, we should totally hang out!" team ups. They always seemed sort of arbitrary. Not quite as arbitrary as the "These are all our most popular characters together for the umteenth time!"

One of the consistencies I've noted across the entire Champions Universe is that there are a lot of mutants who've run afoul of Genocide who also have Code's vs. Killing. Practically every mutant in CKC (with the very notable exceptions of Holocaust, Gravitar, and all of PSI) has a code vs. killing and is hunted by either PRIMUS or the IHA. With such a powerful set of ties a group made up of the following could be expected to hang pretty tightly together. That is after all one nasty hunted in the IHA that all mutants sort of have by default, and a total psych lim they have in common.

I'm just not sure what plot hooks there'd be.

- Black Diamond of GRAB

- Hummingbird of GRAB

- Lancer of PSI assuming she ever got loose of them

- Lodestone

- Zephyr

- Firedrake of COIL

- Binary Man from Champions Universe

If you ditched the two members of GRAB you'd have a team of people who were hunted by the IHA, bitter and greedy and distrustful of authority, but who all have a Code vs. Killing. I could see an intro adventure being a war between mutants and the IHA, with this particular group thrown together by circumstances and decided that they had a lot in common and should work together.

Or they could all just join GRAB. Whichever.

Oddly, Cybermind does not have the Distinctive Features: Mutant Limit.

Meh. I never really liked the "Hey you've got power X, I too have power X, we should totally hang out!" team ups. They always seemed sort of arbitrary. Not quite as arbitrary as the "These are all our most popular characters together for the umteenth time!"

One of the consistencies I've noted across the entire Champions Universe is that there are a lot of mutants who've run afoul of Genocide who also have Code's vs. Killing. Practically every mutant in CKC (with the very notable exceptions of Holocaust, Gravitar, and all of PSI) has a code vs. killing and is hunted by either PRIMUS or the IHA. With such a powerful set of ties a group made up of the following could be expected to hang pretty tightly together. That is after all one nasty hunted in the IHA that all mutants sort of have by default, and a total psych lim they have in common.

I'm just not sure what plot hooks there'd be.

- Black Diamond of GRAB

- Hummingbird of GRAB

- Lancer of PSI assuming she ever got loose of them

- Lodestone

- Zephyr

- Firedrake of COIL

- Binary Man from Champions Universe

If you ditched the two members of GRAB you'd have a team of people who were hunted by the IHA, bitter and greedy and distrustful of authority, but who all have a Code vs. Killing. I could see an intro adventure being a war between mutants and the IHA, with this particular group thrown together by circumstances and decided that they had a lot in common and should work together.

Or they could all just join GRAB. Whichever.

Oddly, Cybermind does not have the Distinctive Features: Mutant Limit.

This list scratches an itch I've recently developed. I was trying to put a "Brotherhood of Evil Mutants versus Project GENOCIDE" scenario together for the Glorious Twelfth. What better way to mark a celebration of institutionalised bigotry then with comicdom's favourite metaphor for intolerance?

Unfortunately, I had some trouble with the Brotherhood. The CU now has its own Magneto (Momentum, from VVV, works well in a role that Holocaust never quite fit), but I was sticking on the underwhelming sidekicks. Here's my answer.

I'm not sure Lancer belongs in the group (she seems to be more about "mental man" then "mutant man"), but now that I think about it, Brainchild adds a certain dynamic. The Brotherhood ought to have someone constantly challenging the boss's authority and getting slapped down....

Though Momentum might want to get a snazzy helmet with built-in mental defence, first.

The Movement For Genetic Equality

Momentum (leader)

Brainchild (wishes he was leader)

Hummingbird (cutey required!)

Black Diamond (and another!)

Firedrake (wandered in from the Kirby version of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants that showed up in a Captain America annual and decided to stay)

Binary Man

Not a bad grouping there, LB. :thumbup: Your suggested name doesn't quite fit Momentum's motivation, though. He's not looking for equality; like Magneto he wants outright domination by mutants over the "normal" population.

How about Movement Against Genetic Inferiors? (MAGI) :eg:

Not a bad grouping there, LB. :thumbup: Your suggested name doesn't quite fit Momentum's motivation, though. He's not looking for equality; like Magneto he wants outright domination by mutants over the "normal" population.

that ought to work

Firedrake (wandered in from the Kirby version of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants that showed up in a Captain America annual and decided to stay)

MWAHAHAHA! That was great! Why didn't I notice that?

Though a lot of these "villains" are a little too soft hearted to go along with the "dominate the inferior human scum" line. I'd think they might just start trashing IHA installations and humiliating it's political puppets. Then PRIMUS starts hunting the mutants, and the PCs are left pondering who to defend. The somewhat ethical villains, or the unethical yet legal research institution.

At least legal so far as anyone knows.

Hmm....

I can't come up with an acronym, but one name that fits Momentum's approach (obtrusive, obnoxious, overblown, but perhaps also accurate) came to me with a flash when I saw Lord Liaden's contribution:

Masada.