Changing Class of mind

Re: Changing Class of mind

If your character just has a non-human mind, he just has a non-human mind by virtue of special effects. A robotic PC wouldn't have to pay points for having the Machine class of mind, as far as I know.

If the character has a hybrid mind (say, a robot so advanced he can be affected by Human-mind affecting mental powers), then he qualifies for a 5-point Physical Limitation to that effect.

If the question is "are there rules to give my PC a class of mind other than human", then the answer is that the rules require all PC's be of the human class of mind.

The appropriateness (or lack thereof) of this rule, and/or the classes of mind rules, are debated once in a while on the boards, and a search of the 6e forum for Classes of Mind will probably bring up the most recent discussion in this regard.

We had a big discussion over 'class of minds' in the 6E discussion.

The problem with PC's having an alternate class of mind is that it makes them totally immune to standard mental effects. Unless the GM is prepared to deal with that, he should probably NOT allow PC's to take an alternate class of minds.

I've been in favor of changing the 'class of minds' rule from an adder to a limitation on mental powers. The default is everything, only humans is a -1/4 (at most) and the others scale depending on how often they come into play. Only vs. computers wouldn't be much use in a pre-1980's game, after all.

After all, a mind that can deal with humans on their own level on a regular basis is pretty much a human mind anyway. Whatever differences there are get overwhelmed by the common point of view needed for communication.

Isn't it a woman's perogative to change her (class of) mind?

Anyway, for someone who can change from one Class of Mind to another at will, I'd go for Shape Shift, BOECV. (Shape Shift to Mental Senses would make your Mind look like another Class, but to functionally change it, I'd require the BOECV Advantage.)