Brooklin Rage! (part 2)

Kdansky

After having asked why one should use Absorb at all, here my new dilemma for the same problem:

One of my players wants to have a "Barbarian Rage" ability. But somehow, I have trouble finding a good interpretation of that. And I really mean: "I have no clue about the game effects." I'm pretty sure if I had a good game effect I could model it rules wise, but currently, I cannot find anything interesting to begin with. Sure, I could use Absorb to increase the damage of his primary Attack (à la Deadly Blow), but that is neither interesting to play with not easy to balance, since the attack will probably near worthless to start with, and/or end up way too big, and/or it won't matter at all (going from 11 DC to 12 DC? Hardly noticable).

What I have already set down:

About 25 Strength, a big weapon bought with money (or rather: DC resource pool), plus a multipower which sports some funny attacks, like a linked Drain Running (Hamstring), or a linked bleeding attack, or a NPA area of effect or an NPA Autofire (possibly big enough to use them at the same time?).

I have toyed with the following (stolen from another thread, but my own write-up):

Rage!

Naked Power Advantage: No Endurance Cost (+1/2) for up to 120 Active Points. 60 AP

Charges: One continuing charges, lasting 1 minute recovers every five minutes (4 steps on time chart) (-0) (or anything along these lines)

Major Side Effect, 30 AP: 1d6 KA, Does Body (+1), fixed stun multiplier (-0), Always occurs (-1)

Active Point: 60, real cost: 30

Mainly, that just seems a bit to unimportant. Sure, it gives you free END, but does that help me much? It would be a lot more fun to have this on multiple levels (like rage I, rage II, rage III) and getting stronger every time or some such. Note that just putting this into the mentioned framework makes it incredibly complex and saves about 3 points total and is so not worth it (it's not even worth doing the math for).

Re: Brooklin Rage! (part 2)

How about buying some Characteristics, Skills, Powers or what-have-you with the Limitation: Only When Enraged.

Consider adding some or all of these:

• Strength
  • Constitution
  • Body
  • PD
  • ED
  • Stun
  • Endurance
  • Ego (he's more difficult to Mind Control and so on and so forth)
  • CSLs (offensive only)
  • Armor Piercing (naked advantage)
  • Armor
  • Damage Reduction
  • HA
  • Running

To me, what makes a berserker truly terrifying is that they do not stop. You hack them up, you hit them with blows that would normally stop a charging bull and they keep coming. They also tend to push themselves to extremes, often collapsing afterwards.

So how about:

1. A berserk disadvantage

2. 1/2 physical damage resistance (stun only but resistant and only when berserking)

3. +10 STR (0 END, no figured, only whilst berserking cannot push strength whilst using) - a sort of constant strength push

4. A physical disadvantage that, when he comes out of a berserk rage, his STUN drops to -9 (and can then be recovered normally) (this means he is kinda awake but incapable of action - utterly dazed, in other words)

The 1/2 DR effectively makes him immune to stuns and doubles the amount of physical shock he can take (he is still just as easy to kill, but, of course, you don't actually die until you get to -(BODY) and, with the physical disadvantage, death becomes a real possibility if he is already bleeding out when the rage ends.

Proposed build:

I feel no pain! 30 active, 12 real

Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when berserking; -1), STUN Only (-1/2)

I'll tear your head off! 15 active, 5 real

+10 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only whilst berserking; -1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Lockout on pushing strength; -1/4)

Now you've made me mad! 30 points

Enraged: Berserk when wounded (Body damage) in combat (Common), go 8-, recover 8-

What just happened? 15 points

Physical Limitation: Stun drops to -9 if higher when berserk fury ends (Infrequently, Fully Impairing)

Interesting that you put the "drop to -9 stun" as a Disadvantage. Some of my tries:

I Think I'm Going To Be Sick

Extreme Side Effect (-1), worth about 60 AP, that's 12d6 stun only self-damage,

Always occurs (x2), Side Effect when power ends (-1/4)

That either is a -1.5 or a -1.75, I'm not sure how that is officially calculated. Help please.

I like Damage Reduction, although: Why should that not work against Energy Attacks or Ego Attacks? And why not just by 30 Stun for the same points? (Or hell, even defenses or CON), that's probably a lot more point-efficient.

I would also like if it weren't characteristics, because that leaves us with lots of chaos with figureds (and "no figureds" for -1/2 is a horrible thing to do with CON/STR) while at the same time breaking nearly all campaign limits.

Things I played around with:

- Ablative Armor (the first couple hits you just shrug off, but then blood loss starts to accumulate), or Ablative unusual defenses, eg. 5 points of Flash defense, making the first flash nearly worthless.

- The 0END NPA from above. 0END is pretty neat when you can Sweep for a lot of damage.

- Obviously Enraged. But that again is not "fun to use". As soon as it triggers, you become half-zombie in terms of choices you have. For a player who likes to have tactical choices, that's pretty boring. Especially if powers are linked to this (btw: how to price? If you rarely berserk, that's pretty hefty, but OTOH, you *want* to berserk), you have a choice of having a choice or being powerful but NPC. Bleh.

Most important: I'm fishing for something cool. "+20 STR" is just very, very bland ;)

Interesting that you put the "drop to -9 stun" as a Disadvantage. Some of my tries:

I Think I'm Going To Be Sick

Extreme Side Effect (-1), worth about 60 AP, that's 12d6 stun only self-damage,

Always occurs (x2), Side Effect when power ends (-1/4)

That either is a -1.5 or a -1.75, I'm not sure how that is officially calculated. Help please.

-1.5, I think; 'always occusrs when power used' doubles the modifier vaule.

Mind you I'm a bit down on side effects at present and think they need a look at - this is an enormous limitation value for something that only occurs after you've stopped using a constant power.

I like Damage Reduction' date=' although: Why should that not work against Energy Attacks or Ego Attacks? And why not just by 30 Stun for the same points? (Or hell, even defenses or CON), that's probably a lot more point-efficient.[/quote']

I'm assuming 'Barbarian Rage' is a fantasy game and that physical atatcks are far and away more common than energy ones, or mental ones. You could buy it for all or you could just assume that such unusual attacks penetrate even the red mists...

Damage Reduction, as I never tire of expounding, is NOT a defence, no matter wjhat it says in the book, it is a multiplier for your stun and con and rec against certain attacks, so it is very like buying extra characteristics, but much, much neater.

I would also like if it weren't characteristics' date=' because that leaves us with lots of chaos with figureds (and "no figureds" for -1/2 is a horrible thing to do with CON/STR) while at the same time breaking nearly all campaign limits.[/quote']

If added STR does not do it for you, use HtH Attack instead :)

Kick like a mule: 15 active, 6 real

Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (15 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only while berserking; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

Things I played around with:

- Ablative Armor (the first couple hits you just shrug off, but then blood loss starts to accumulate), or Ablative unusual defenses, eg. 5 points of Flash defense, making the first flash nearly worthless.

- The 0END NPA from above. 0END is pretty neat when you can Sweep for a lot of damage.

- Obviously Enraged. But that again is not "fun to use". As soon as it triggers, you become half-zombie in terms of choices you have. For a player who likes to have tactical choices, that's pretty boring. Especially if powers are linked to this (btw: how to price? If you rarely berserk, that's pretty hefty, but OTOH, you *want* to berserk), you have a choice of having a choice or being powerful but NPC. Bleh.

Most important: I'm fishing for something cool. "+20 STR" is just very, very bland ;)

Many fantasy berserkers don't want to berserk - they hate that side of themselves, but, from a role playing POV it can make things interesting - a berserker will chew up friends as readily as enemies, so the player has to be real smart about manipulating his situation so that he goes crazy at the right time and int eh right place. Friends have to learn to deal with him - if he goes berserk, he will eventually calm down, so plenty of dodging and distraction until the rage cools.

You could even go the other way, and have a stone cold killer. The levels can be used to increase damage or attack, but never for defence:

Cold Rage: 30 Active, 12 real

Cold Rage: +6 with HTH Combat (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Only when in Combat Trance; -1), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Levels can never be applied to DCV; -1/2)

PLUS

Psychological Limitation: Combat Trance: 10 points

Once you voluntarily enter the trance, you can not stop (you must make a melee attack every phase, and use movement to approach enemies) until every enemy is fallen (Common, Moderate)

I went with this when designing my D&D in Hero abilities for my players (to get them into the Hero System from what they were familiar with - oddly enough they really didn't want to use them :) ):

Rage 1:

Rage: Elemental Control, 10-point powers, (5 Active Points); all slots 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

1) Berserk Strength: +10 STR (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

2) +5 CON (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

3) +5 BODY (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

4) +2 with HTH Combat (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), OCV only (-1/2), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

5) +10 STUN (10 Active Points); 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-1 1/4), Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (Character becomes Enraged, requires Ego roll to come out of it before time limit expires; -1/2), Character has -2 DCV while in Rage (-1/4)

Real cost: 8

Further levels expanded on those. You can do more - remove the DCV penalty, add other abilities, or what have you. Not the greatest ability, but it simulated a short term burst. I had toyed with the idea of adding a point or two to SPD, but most of the characters were 3 or 4 already, so I decided not to.

That game is actually not so much "Low Powered Fantasy"' date=' but rather "High Powered Cyberpunk" :) We're talking 200+100 cp characters, weapons either bought with points or as resource pool. But thanks for the input.[/quote']

Not a problem. I hadn't done any higher powered since we've never needed it, but doing an EC with a few effects would be what I would do. You can just increase effects as appropriate.

I'd also keep your side effect - for something like hyper-steroids injected in the blood, not just physical damage, but maybe minuses to perception, ego, etc. Cumulative Transform to a Rage addict?

Actually, this reminded me of both Bane and the game Haze (with nectar being the rage drug).

One stat I haven't seen is Pres...

Rage! SE: Berserk recover (11) (or 8) Always happens when useing Rage powers..

+10 -15 STR REnd>0, No fig

Damage reduction x1/2 PDr

+10 Pres

+3' running

Deadly blow and/or HA +3D6

Combat luck

All with the Rage! lim, other optional...what else looks good?

One stat I haven't seen is Pres...

Rage! SE: Berserk recover (11) (or 8) Always happens when useing Rage powers..

+10 -15 STR REnd>0, No fig

Damage reduction x1/2 PDr

+10 Pres

+3' running

Deadly blow and/or HA +3D6

Combat luck

All with the Rage! lim, other optional...what else looks good?

Combat driving?

Always seems to happen when I'm raging :D

If you really want your Barbarian Rage to turn you into a killing machine, how about going with a Multiform?

Make your second form an automaton with either the Cannot be Stunned or Takes no Stun special power. Because it is a Multiform you can easily bump up and down Characteristics; keep, drop or add Powers, Skills, Talents; and so on and so forth.

Naturally, this costs a bit more...

If you really want your Barbarian Rage to turn you into a killing machine, how about going with a Multiform?

Make your second form an automaton with either the Cannot be Stunned or Takes no Stun special power. Because it is a Multiform you can easily bump up and down Characteristics; keep, drop or add Powers, Skills, Talents; and so on and so forth.

Naturally, this costs a bit more...

repped - I never thought of that, but I like it. Just have to make sure there are side effects and penalties for it...

repped - I never thought of that' date=' but I like it. Just have to make sure there are side effects and penalties for it...[/quote']

Heck isn't there a loss of personality lim for Multi-form?..."If I rage too long, I'll Never stop!" (cue; angsty music)

Heck isn't there a loss of personality lim for Multi-form?..."If I rage too long' date=' I'll Never stop!" (cue; angsty music)[/quote']

With abject apologies:

Bed? Bed -- I couldn't go to bed

My head's too light to try to settle down

Sleep? Sleep -- I couldn't sleep tonight

Not for all the jewels in the crown!

I could have raged all night

I could have raged all night

I really want him dead

I could have spread my claws

And torn down a thousand doors

To kick him in the head

I'll never know what made it so exciting

When all at once my heart took flight

I only know when he began to wind me up

I could have raged, raged, raged all night

http://www.brave.com/bo/lyrics/icouldha.htm

Heck isn't there a loss of personality lim for Multi-form?..."If I rage too long' date=' I'll Never stop!" (cue; angsty music)[/quote']

Rage Against The Machine? :P

The Multiform might be the way to go. IMO those in a Berserk Rage loose anything having to do with "precision" or "finess", so things like "Hamstring attacks" go away, but tend to be replaced with bigger regular attacks.

IIRC, Body & Stun damage done to one form affects all forms. And if you have lots of Body/Stun damage on a form that has a high Body/Stun, then change to a form with lower stats, he could become unconscous and/or die.

One can also consider a rage-driven Succor that boosts several powers simultaneously.