Cantapole: The Sentient Cantaloupe

Memona

Cantapole

The sentient Cantaloupe. Give me a few ideas that would make this character more interesting!

Long ago in the soil of the original primordial soup, a series of cantaloupes were grown. These seemingly happy cantaloupes grew in the sun and didn't have a care (or a mind) in the world. Than one day, one was picked and sent off to a supermarket. Only one thing gave him an identity: a sticker with a hand-written misspelled word: Cantapole. From there things got a little sticky. One of the cantaloupes began to ponder the reasons for living, and in the process gave himself true thought. But because of his inability to speak, he grew lonely.

He was delighted one day when a woman bought him. This delight turned to terror as she began to take a knife to his well being! In a burst of energy, he told the woman to stop inside her head and bolted out of the window. He returned to the supermarket to meet other new people, but he was bought multiple times and each time he was assaulted by a knife. This continued for over a month, until the supermarket day manager, Benny Fray, befriended the talking Cantaloupe. He thought him a sense of justice and how to live the America way.

Yet one day, the supermarket was robbed by a group of armed men. Benny was hurt in the assault, and this hurt Cantapole dearly. A sense of justice that he learned from Benny Fray came over him, and he did not want anyone to be hurt as they hurt Benny Fray! He thanked Benny Fray, and left his master behind. He left that day in search of criminals...and to find justice that only a fruit can dispense.

0 STR

0 DEX

15 CON

2 BODY

30 INT

40 EGO

10 COM

0 PD

3 ED

5 SPD

3 REC

50 END

8 STUN

82 Points

Powers

Self-Thrown Fruit

34 Points

4" Flight, Reduced END (0 END). x8 Increased Non-Combat Value (32").

Fruit-Wroth Mental Powers

60 Point Multipower Pool

6u The Fruit Inside You: 6d6 Ego Attack

2u The Forbidden Fruit: Mental Illusions 10d6, No Conscious Control (only to force targets to experience greatest fear)

2u Sold Out: Invisibility to Sight and Sound; No Fringe, Only Works against sentient person character is aware of.

4u Mental Paralysis: Entangle 2d6, 2 DEF, BOECV; Works Versus Ego, not STR; Mental Defense is Added to Ego

5u Psychocantalope: TK (30 STR), 1/2 END

6u Cantalobe: RKA 2d6, Penetrating, Reduced END (0 END)

6u Neural Plant: 12d6 Telepathy

He's a Cantaloupe

36 Points

Life Support: Self Contained Breathing, Diminished Eating, Diminished Sleep, Safe Environment: Intense Cold, Immunity: all terraesital poisons, diseases

and chemicals that do not target plants

Small Fruit

25 Points

+5 DCV

Cantaloupe Senses Tingling

18 Points

Spatial Awareness; Must have loose particles around him to bump into objects; a clean room will cause him trouble.

Odd Mental Pathways

6 Points

6 Mental Defense

Grow a New Cantapole

3 Points

1d6 Healing Regeneration (1 BODY a month), Resurrection (Do not plant the seeds), Reduced END (0 END), Self Only, Extra Time (1 BODY a week), someone must plant one of his seeds in fertile soil

Fruity Forcefield

56 Points

Forcefield 28 rPD/ 28 rED

Disadvantages

25 Distinctive Features. Not Concealable. Features Causes Extreme Deliciousness.

5 Physical Limitation: Delicious.

25 Physical Limitation: No Hands or Legs.

10 Physical Limitation: No Eyes

5 Physical Limitation: No Ears

10 Physical Limitation: No Mouth

5 Physical Limitation: Small Fruit (-6 Knockback)

15 Hunted: Cantaloupes of the Same Tree (As Powerful, Imprison)

20 Psychological Limitation: Driven to eradicate crime and protect the innocent

15 Dependence: Rots if not re refrigerated. Must spend a few hours every day in the fridge. Very Common/Easy to Obtain, Damage 1d6, Character’s Powers are affected 14- Activation Roll, Incompetence, Weakness. Once Per Day.

15 DNPC: Benny Fray, The Friendly Fruit Market Vendor. 11-

Re: Cantapole: The Sentient Cantaloupe

An origin might be nice. ;) Radioactive mutation? Alien pod? Possessed fruit?

+8 DCV would cost 40 points, not 25. The "Fruity Forcefield" might benefit from a little Reduced Endurance, especially since Cantapole is paying full END for his attacks.

I'm not sure "Delicious" would count as a Physical Limitation. You might consider making it a Reputation instead. As a GM I'd also be wary of all those individual Physical Lims for specific things that Cantapole doesn't have -- smacks a bit of munchkinism, especially with his compensatory abilities. I might prefer to combine the "No Eyes/Ears/Mouth" as you did "No Hands or Legs".

Why do his fellow super-cantaloupes want to imprison him? That's crying out for backstory. (Hey, even comical characters deserve a little depth.) ;)

Why do his fellow super-cantaloupes want to imprison him? That's crying out for backstory.

He doesn't know they exist yet. He is only afraid that they do. All I can imagine is a team of super evil cantaloupes who are attacking the city for crimes against the Orchard (the forests of the world). It's not the evil Cantaloupes are hunting him, he's just can't let other melons hurt his community. They don't want to kill him, just imprison him for the rest of his refrigerated life.

I wanted to give him some powers that involve people eating parts of him. I'm thinking maybe an AID or healing power, but he will need some boosts in the future. I was thinking of increasing STUN and 0 END FF in the future. It would be awful if he was on the counter and rolled off onto the floor without his force field! There would be cantaloupe all over the floor, and who would pick up his pieces?

Excellent. Totally love this. :)

Some nitpickings: "Fruit-Wroth Mental Powers" wrath not wroth.

"Features Causes Extreme Deliciousness." hunger not deliciousness. You can't cause deliciousness.

It sounds like you think cantoloupes grow on trees. They grow on vines, near the ground.

Other than those, truely great! :)

Some nitpickings: "Fruit-Wroth Mental Powers" wrath not wroth.

Well, it does make it sound like it's a Fruit-Wrath, both nouns. Fixed now. It should be Fruit Wroth Mental Powers.

"Features Causes Extreme Deliciousness." hunger not deliciousness. You can't cause deliciousness.

Features do cause HIM to be seen as extremely delicious. Not other people, but him. Of course, other people are going to be hungry when they look at him and guess who is getting eaten first when they are stranded on a desert idea? That tasty orange flesh.

Just a play on words.

It sounds like you think cantaloupes grow on trees. They grow on vines, near the ground.

The original ur-cantaloupe did grow on trees. The creatures that were born from the tree's buds can only replicated through vines. I'm thinking of giving Cantapole duplication when he eventually learns to harvest the ur-tree's power.

Well' date=' it does make it sound like it's a Fruit-Wrath, both nouns. Fixed now. It should be Fruit Wroth Mental Powers.[/quote']

That word does not mean what you think it means.

Features do cause HIM to be seen as extremely delicious. Not other people' date=' but him. Of course, other people are going to be hungry when they look at him and guess who is getting eaten first when they are stranded on a desert idea? That tasty orange flesh.[/quote']

No, what you got up there says in plain English is his DF causes deliciousness. He is delicious or isn't, changing himself needs Shapeshift.

The original ur-cantaloupe did grow on trees.

Cite please.

The creatures that were born from the tree's buds can only replicated through vines. I'm thinking of giving Cantapole duplication when he eventually learns to harvest the ur-tree's power.

He should be able to find other fruits with similarly amazing powers, then their super team can be called "Fruits of the Loom"

EH EH, anyone? c'mon!!

Also, maybe give him some TK:

Tossed Salad: Telekinesis (40 STR) (60 Active Points); Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Lockout (-1/2)

He should be able to find other fruits with similarly amazing powers, then their super team can be called "Fruits of the Loom"

EH EH, anyone? c'mon!!

Introducing:

Cantapole, the psychic melon

Watermelo, the aquamancer melon

Honey Duo, the duplicator melon

The Horned Melon, the brick melon

And together they are the League of Remarkable Melons.

I dunno, this is turning into a kiwi bit of insanity

is their arch nemesis "Forbidden Fruit"?

all the fruits are gymasts of course, who learn a new acrobatic manuever

the "Banana Split", they all are active in the sport of Squash too.

I can just see the campaign starting or ending with "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"

the fruits of course have their own kingdom and royalty. ruled by an ironhand and his elite Imperial Gourd

How can you take this seriously when I used the word ur-cantaloupe? It's very silly to even argue the point.

Sigh.

Hang around Internet awhile. You'll quickly find out most people don't know squat. and peddling bumf in the biggest industry on internet. You want to make joke? Fine, that's what smilies are for.

Don't use smilies? You run into experience people, they'll assume you believe the bumf, and the dummer it is the bigger the chance you believe it. Experience says that's the way to bet.

I have never heard this term before today. I had to check it up. I love it.

Bum fodder.

There's standard bumf, there's bizzare bumf. That's the bumf odder.

The animal with the most bumf is the bumf otter.

Someone piles more bumf on what's there is the bumf adder.

:help: Stop me now, for ghods' sake! :help: