Making a power have variable phase time

Tech

I've been toying around with an idea but am not sure of the game mechanics of how to do it, so I'm tossing it out for others to give their suggestions:

Looking at the 5th ed, turning on the Desolidification power is a 0 phase move to activate it. Cool.

However, I want the power to have a chance for it to use a 1/2 phase to activate or even a full phase once in awhile. The reason is that the heroine is pretty new to her powers.

Sooo, how would you write it up? Also, would it get any kind of limitation? I was going to give it a -0 but think it could be given a -1/4.

Just in case someone asks: how often would it be more than a 0 phase? I'm guessing 1/4 of the time it'd take a 1/2 phase to activate and the other 1/4 of the time a full phase to activate.

Ready? Set? Build it! :thumbup:

Re: Making a power have variable phase time

I use a pattern like this often for "Gun" multipowers and similar gadget collections:

Firearms Multipower

39 Multipower, 87-point reserve, (87 Active Points); Requires A Fast Draw Skill Roll (Only To Change Slots; Failure = 1/2 Phase Action to Change Slot Instead; -1/4); all slots OAF (-1)

In this case, since its a "novice" bit being modeled, Activation makes more sense but the basic idea is the same. Technically, Side Effect is the proper approach to use for this, but this is such a minor effect that I opted to just bundle it into RSR and reduce the lim value by -1/4 for simplicity.

Re: Making a power have variable phase time

'Full phase only to activate' is a -1/4 and so you can't really limit that more but if you were willing to go up to 'Extra phse only to activate' you get -1/2 and (if I was GM) you could buy that at a reduced level to show how the LIMITATION is not as limiting.

SO: Desolidification 40 points

EXTRA PHASE ONLY TO ACTIVATE -1/2 (27 points)

SO EPOTA saves you 13 points. Limit that: Limited power (sometimes it is quicker - roll 1d6. On 1 activates as a 0 phase action, on 2 activates as a delayed phase action, on 3 activates as a 1/2 phase action, on 4 activates as a full phase action, on 5 activates as an extra segment action, on 6 activates as an extra phase action) -1. So, applying -1 to 13 points gets you 7 (in this case rounding up IS in your favour) so you reduce the cost of the Desolid by 7 points not 13 for a cost of 33 points.

Probably neater just to come up with a custom lim: variable activation time -1/4 :D