Temporary Memory Changes

JohnTaber

Hi Hero Guru,

I know long term memory changes are probably best done with Transform but...what about short term memory changes that require END?

1) Should I be using Mind Control, Mental Illusions, or Transform? My initial thought was Mind Control with the Telepathy option.

2) If I don't want the target knowing the source of the power or noticing the effect. Do I need to buy Invisible To Mental Senses at 2x cost (i.e. 2 x 1/2 = +1)? Should I just go for +20 effect? Will either work? See what I mean?

Thanks Gents! :)

Mind Control is the way to go, IMO, ordering the target to forget something that happened or remember something that didn't. You can attach a special "Costs END" Limitation to make it cost END to "mantain" (in addition to the END you may want to spend to stop the Mental Power from "deteriorating").

But isn't there a contradiction in what you're proposing? You want a short term memory change, but don't want the target noticing the effect? By it's how nature, a memory change WILL be noticed by the target after the change has ended. If not, then that is a long term memory change. Or I'm missing something?

Of course, the target may not deduce that his tricky memory change was due to external manipulation. That would be covered by the +20 effect, I guess.

Mind Control at EGO + 40 or so, the first +20 or so to make the victim believe even after he breaks free that his false memories did not come from an outside source. MC +30 would drop it to a level where the victim will believe any false memories that don't run counter to deeply held beliefs (+20) and simply won't remember the experience at all once he breaks free (+10). IPE for MC are only important if you (a) fail or (B) are using cumulative effects to plant the memories.

As a GMs ruling, I'd say that MI should be able to do this as well at about the same EGO +30 or 40 level.

Just for a weird way of looking at the problem. :D

If we think of memory as a Sense. (Bit of a stretch, but work with me)

We could buy Images to the Memory Sense. Distance memories get minuses for time. This power should NOT be Area Effect. Memory Sense should be consider Targeting (since most people rely on personal memory).

When a person tries to remember, she makes an INT check with the minuses applied. If she fails, she fails to notice that her memory is different or fuzzy or strange and instead "remembers" the image. If she succeeds, she, at the very least, gets a free "Hmm... That's strange" or "I think someone has been playing tricks with my mind" (if it logical for her to reach that conclusion).

After the image goes away, the person can remember the old memory with an INT with minuses for time. However, an NPC might choose the new memory if it fits the facts better or does not contradict anything that she doesn't already know. Bonuses or minuses may be applied by someone else using Persuasion.

Here's an idea for PER bonus based on memories

+0 Simple memory fact change ("Where did I put those keys?")

+2 Simple memories involving up to minute

+4 Complex memories involving up to half-hour

+6 Multiple memories

This power should not be used as a cheap Mind Control, but represents the ability to temporarily cloud minds long enough the another skill or power can affect a more lasting change. This also does not change a person's inner beliefs or convictions (again this is Mind Control), should be used as a form of superpower form of persuasion.

Going further with Blue Jogger's "other ways to do it" theme, a PS:Psychologist-10 and/or a Persuasion-10 roll might work. In Real Life the phenomena of "recovering" false memories is well documented. If Bob the Mega-Shrink with Seduction, Persuasion, Conversation, Acting, and SS:Psychology all at 25 or less is given a few minutes, he should easily be able to plant almost any memories you'd like.

Originally posted by OddHat

Going further with Blue Jogger's "other ways to do it" theme, a PS:Psychologist-10 and/or a Persuasion-10 roll might work. In Real Life the phenomena of "recovering" false memories is well documented.

"Captain Justice, I truely believe you thought that you were serving the public when you assalted those men. For that reason, in addition to the standard fine and time served, I am sentencing you to five weeks of therapy with Bob. I believe he can help you curb your delusions of grandeur and need to dole out justice in such anti-social fashion."

"But, but. I am CAPTAIN JUSTICE!"

"Really, Captain, it is for your own good."