Non Powered Superhero Campaign

penemue

Re: Non Powered Superhero Campaign

I ran a short-lived campaign in college along these lines. PCs were superheroes without powers (along the lines of Batman' date=' etc.). There were no superhumans in the campaign, but there were people who tried to make you think they were superhuman. There were also the usual assortment of crooks, police, media, and politicians to deal with. And, of course, some of the criminals had to get in on the costume-action. As for reasons to wear a costume, three spring to mind: protection, disguise, intimidation.[/quote']

kind of like the original SCOOBY DOO where are you?where the villians pretended to have powers

kind of like the original SCOOBY DOO where are you?where the villians pretended to have powers

No, no, not really. More like they used the costumes/themes for the same reasons the heroes did. And many of them (and many of the heroes) had cutting-edge gadgetry at their disposal. Just nothing too far advanced of what we have in RL, and nothing that breaks fundamental laws of physics. Actually, there was one villain that pretended to have powers he didn't. Actually, it was a whole family of them. A criminal dynasty who's members down through the ages all pretended to be the original head of the family, thus creating the illusion that he was immortal.

Troy,

nice to see you on the boards!

Twilight Guardian was the only Pilot Season comic I bought and the only one I'd vote for. Excellent work. I really like the "real world" feel of it. If you could post her stats that'd be excellent.

I really loved Common Grounds as well. Very much in the vein of my Champions campaign of 20+ years.

David

Thanks much!

I'll see if I can find TG's stats.

By the way, for anyone who hasn't read Twilight Guardian #1 yet, Newsarama is running it in its entirety here. Check it out, and if you dig it, please vote for it here!

You might want to look into the original Avengers for some ideas. Not the superteam, the English TV series which predates it and is not in fact linked to it by anything other than coincidence. They're basically secret agents but they often act like superheroes and foil villainesque plots.

The series is pretty hoky now but might yield up some interesting ideas. Or at least it could provide a template for a British hero to perform a cameo or a British adventure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_series)

Yeah, I loved the Avengers. They even filmed some New Avengers episodes in Toronto. It was even supposed to be Toronto too. It was kind of exciting as a Canadian in the 70s.

That's a really good suggestion, thanks..I'm going to have to spread some rep around. I really liked the tkdguy link too. Great Golden Age resource!

You might want to look into the original Avengers for some ideas. Not the superteam, the English TV series which predates it and is not in fact linked to it by anything other than coincidence. They're basically secret agents but they often act like superheroes and foil villainesque plots.

The series is pretty hoky now but might yield up some interesting ideas. Or at least it could provide a template for a British hero to perform a cameo or a British adventure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Avengers_(TV_series)

you could borrow a bit from the WWE novel big aple takedown and have your heroes be a group of professional wrestlers bytrade who are moonlighting as crimefighters

There is at least one movie from Mexico that has a masked wrestler as the hero. The one I saw had him fighting a bunch of female vampires.

Yeah, Lucadors would be a cool thing to include in a multi-cultural city like Toronto. Not a HUGE Spanish-speaking community, but there non-the-less.

Most of the people not born in Canada go to Toronto to live. (40%)

Some interesting stats here:

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/etoimm/canada.cfm

I think you might be biting off more than you can chew trying to do a team, unless there is a clear heirarchy. Pulpy mystery men tend to be loners and teams of loners just seem strained. I would suggest a Shadow and his seconds type structure, a dynamic duo like Green Hornet and Kato, or a solo book.

• 1 month later...

Now.. I've ran a prelude adventure set in 2003. The heroes foiled a robbery by four costumed criminals. In fact, two of the heroes were established and two were newbies. There was a merry chase through a department store, a battle in a hallway leading to the food court of a mall and another smack-down in the department store.

Combat was brutal and quick and the heroes were successful.

Now.

I need a name for the campaign.

I had originally considered "Rooftops", but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Now.. I've ran a prelude adventure set in 2003. The heroes foiled a robbery by four costumed criminals. In fact, two of the heroes were established and two were newbies. There was a merry chase through a department store, a battle in a hallway leading to the food court of a mall and another smack-down in the department store.

Combat was brutal and quick and the heroes were successful.

Now.

I need a name for the campaign.

I had originally considered "Rooftops", but I don't know.

Any ideas?

How about:

Midnight Skulkers

The Masks

Crazies in Costumes

The Vigilance Committee

Black, White and Gray

Shadowmen

The Citizens

The Huntsmen

Also, I suspect that very many "costumed heroes" would just be ordinary citizens with an odd sense of the dramatic, a cell phone with the local police on speed-dial (or 911), binoculars, and no desire to do much more than calling the cops unless they're forced to.

Then of course there'd be posers. Remember Die Fledermaus or Bat-Manuel from The Tick animated and live action series'? I assume there would be at least a few "super-groupies" making it worth somebody's while to get costumed up and "talk the talk" in hopes of getting the babes.

I've been thinking about the costume thing, and I know this isn't original, but on one level it's a bit of an oxymoron: a unique uniform. Like a police or soldier's uniform, a recognizable superhero costume attached to a reputation for competency and heroism would both make someone instantly recognizable as a protector and prioritize them over civilians as targets. Even a police officer who has been shot down has been known to save a civilian's life by giving them a chance to escape or take cover. Someone conscious of that and willing to make that choice might prefer bright, primary colors to distract bad guys from less capable targets.

I seem to recall reading an article in the newspaper when I was a kid. This guy was at a costume party dressed as Robin. He got drunk and was arrested for brawling. He called his lawyer, who was also at the costume party. Of course, the lawyer showed up dressed as Batman.