Fantasy Gambling Ideas

Guest Worldmaker

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Fantasy Gambling Ideas

You keep posting BS like this to get a rise out of me, don't you? What specifically did I ever do to you to warrant you turning this thread into a joke for your own personal amusement?

here is 1 I learned this weekend at Ren faire

it is called 3's away

you need at least 5d6(you will roll at most 5 times per player w/ 5 dice)

after each roll you must keep at least 1 die(you may keep more if wanted

"3's" are worth 0 all others keep their normal value

object is to get the lowest score

You might try a web search for "dice games" or "bar games". My grandmother owned a bar for several years and they always had a cup and dice behind the counter for all sorts of drinking games. Usually patrons would play to see who bought the next round.

The only one I remember is "Ship, Captain and Crew"

This is the game as I was taught:

You used a cup with 5D6. The object of the game is to get a six (your ship), a 5 (your captain) and the highest possible on the other three dice (your crew). You had to have a Ship before you could get a Captain and a Captain before you could collect a Crew and you had three rolls to do it with. Whomever had the highest total in crew, won.

For example: If on my first roll I didn't get any sixes I'd have to re roll all the dice. If I rolled a six, it would be put aside and I would roll all the rest of the dice to try and get my Captain and my Crew. If I rolled both a six and a five in my first roll I could keep those and any high dice I wanted to use for my Crew and still have two more rolls to to try and get the highest Crew.

So the best I could possible do would be to get a 6 for my Ship, a 5 for my Crew and three more 6's for my Crew.

*Player 1 rolls his Ship on his first roll, Captain on his second roll so he can also keep a 6 from that roll. He rolls the last two dice with his last roll and ends up with a Crew total of 9.

*Player 2 rolls his Ship on his first roll but rolls no Captain on his consecutive rolls so can collect no Crew so he loses.

*Player 3 rolls no Captain nor Ship on his three rolls so he loses.

*Player 4 rolls a Ship and a Captain on his first roll and on his two other rolls ends up with a Crew of 12, so he wins.

As a betting game there could be an ante and then individual betting on rolls or everyone could ante and make bets after each round of rolling.

Also, you could always change the terminology of the game IE: "Captain, Sgt and Squad" or "King, Queen and Army", "Dragon, Lair and Horde" or some such to give it more of a fantasy feel.

we play this one at faire alot but I was taught it as ship,captain,bo'sun

the ship and captain are the same but you needed a 4 for the bo'sun before you could get the crew

everything else plays the same

You might try a web search for "dice games" or "bar games". My grandmother owned a bar for several years and they always had a cup and dice behind the counter for all sorts of drinking games. Usually patrons would play to see who bought the next round.

The only one I remember is "Ship, Captain and Crew"

This is the game as I was taught:

You used a cup with 5D6. The object of the game is to get a six (your ship), a 5 (your captain) and the highest possible on the other three dice (your crew). You had to have a Ship before you could get a Captain and a Captain before you could collect a Crew and you had three rolls to do it with. Whomever had the highest total in crew, won.

For example: If on my first roll I didn't get any sixes I'd have to re roll all the dice. If I rolled a six, it would be put aside and I would roll all the rest of the dice to try and get my Captain and my Crew. If I rolled both a six and a five in my first roll I could keep those and any high dice I wanted to use for my Crew and still have two more rolls to to try and get the highest Crew.

So the best I could possible do would be to get a 6 for my Ship, a 5 for my Crew and three more 6's for my Crew.

*Player 1 rolls his Ship on his first roll, Captain on his second roll so he can also keep a 6 from that roll. He rolls the last two dice with his last roll and ends up with a Crew total of 9.

*Player 2 rolls his Ship on his first roll but rolls no Captain on his consecutive rolls so can collect no Crew so he loses.

*Player 3 rolls no Captain nor Ship on his three rolls so he loses.

*Player 4 rolls a Ship and a Captain on his first roll and on his two other rolls ends up with a Crew of 12, so he wins.

As a betting game there could be an ante and then individual betting on rolls or everyone could ante and make bets after each round of rolling.

Also, you could always change the terminology of the game IE: "Captain, Sgt and Squad" or "King, Queen and Army", "Dragon, Lair and Horde" or some such to give it more of a fantasy feel.

Guest Worldmaker

My players are my sons, my nephews, and one of my nieces. They range in age from 14 to 19. Dung gambling might be for real, but all I'd get in response is giggles...

:lol: That logic is unassailable.

Along similar lines, though, you could have a table marked with a circle divided into different sections (sorta like a roulette wheel). Every places bets, the dealer puts something like a tarantula or hercules beetle into the center, and whoever bet on the section the bug crawls into is the winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Something I just stumbled over in the free creative commons print and play list of games on Boardgame geek (yes, I was checking out what other games were listed with mine) - a deck of cards and games to go with for a furry-themed fantasy setting that may be of interest to those running anthropomorphic games.

Decktet it's called. You can see the Boardgame Geek entry here

There was a game played in Ye Olde Tymes called "Beating the Blindfold Hog" in which a bunch of sturdy rustics were all blindfolded, given cudgels and let loose in a muddy pen along with a hog. The aim was to club the hog to death and avoid being clubbed by your blindfolded colleagues; the winner in the pen got to keep the hog carcass, and spectators bet on who'd win, who'd be laid out and when, and every other permutation of gambling you can think of. That's called "making your own entertainment" I guess :)