Lost Cities of the Amazon

BigJackBrass

Re: Lost Cities of the Amazon

Since this is the Pulp forum the big question is of course. 'What do the Nazis get out of this?'

Along with "Did intelligent gorillas ever make it to the Amazon?" There just has to be a secret city of them somewhere nearby, migrated from Africa by biplane :)

Hmmm, perhaps Ancient Intelligent African Gorillas having built rafts to flee some catastrophy or invasion. Before their cities were destroyed they took with them the MacGuffin and settled in the Amazon, their rafts scattered, they formed multiple villages.

The Cataclysm followed them or they found some new horror in the Amazon which eventually left them largely destroyed.

Roll forward to the 1930-50's. Adventure is thwarting the Nazis (or Commies) whose efforts start in Africa and then move to the Amazon.

Nazis, Gorillas (Intelligent and Not), Clive Cussleresque sea nonsense, Ancient Evils; yeah - there's something there.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously the ancient intelligent gorillas were fleeing from the sinking of Atlantis where they had been enslaved... You know' date=' I'm amazed at how many lost cities there are in South America. It's astonishing that they've got space for the rain forests that hide them.[/quote']

Just ask Colonel Percy Fawcett, he'll tell you the TRUTH! :D

Obviously the ancient intelligent gorillas were fleeing from the sinking of Atlantis where they had been enslaved... You know' date=' I'm amazed at how many lost cities there are in South America. It's astonishing that they've got space for the rain forests that hide them.[/quote']

Well, actually there isn't. There's quite a bit of one-upmanship over the premium rain forest locations. For example, Huguenotia, the lost city of super-Reformation-science wielding sixteenth century French Protestant psionics has had to settle for disguising itself as a middle-class suburb of Sao Paolo.

So if you ever pull into a gas station on the outskirts of Sao Paolo, be very careful which air pump you use to inflate your tires, unless you want to be riding around in a treasure-finding chariot on wheels of fire.

Well, actually there isn't. There's quite a bit of one-upmanship over the premium rain forest locations. For example, Huguenotia, the lost city of super-Reformation-science wielding sixteenth century French Protestant psionics has had to settle for disguising itself as a middle-class suburb of Sao Paolo.

So if you ever pull into a gas station on the outskirts of Sao Paolo, be very careful which air pump you use to inflate your tires, unless you want to be riding around in a treasure-finding chariot on wheels of fire.

Man, now there is a great idea for the right game. All those ancient lost civilizations are still around, they're just hiding in plain sight.

Hmm, I wonder what ever became of the lost North American Welsh colony of Prince Madoc?

Man' date=' now there is a [i']great[/i] idea for the right game. All those ancient lost civilizations are still around, they're just hiding in plain sight.

Hmm, I wonder what ever became of the lost North American Welsh colony of Prince Madoc?

It's somewhere in the Adirondack Mountains. The topography and climate are fairly similar to Wales, so the settlers felt at home. ;)

I wandered through a place in California called Temecula one. For a plain vanilla Californian city it had such a lovely name I wondered for days where they kept the volcano. You know, the volcano into which they have to sacrifice the blond haired blue eyed demi-virgins? No sign of one anywhere, and I looked.

How come a place as flat as Temecula got such an Aztec sounding name? Did the Temeculan's get fed up with adventurers wandering into thier mountain fastness on a weekly basis and so decided to move to some place nobody would ever think to look for them?

It's somewhere in the Adirondack Mountains. The topography and climate are fairly similar to Wales' date=' so the settlers felt at home. ;)[/quote']

Having read some Cherokee folklore, some of their monsters sound awfully similar to Celtic ideas of the Fae... and I've read that when the Scots-Irish came over, they did look up at the Appalachians as though they'd returned home...