Random Spaceship Generator

Curufea

Re: Random Spaceship Generator

It's trickier because the tiles are odd sizes - they aren't squares of the same size like the cave ones. Currently it's a matter of resizing the tiles I have so that the grid square will fit, and going through them one by one to record how their edges connect.

I'm not sure how folk could help, except to off suggestions perhaps?

The final designs will be the same thumbnail image quality because I've no wish to break copyright with print-quality- but if folk have made their own top-down deckplans, I could use those instead.

The ideal size for a tile is about 6" on a side and square, that's because a single tile will then print comfortably on a single piece of paper.

you might want to talk to Alathan, hes done our deck plans for Traveller Hero, and might be able to offer better suggestions than I could. also if you find something among the traveller hero deckplans you would find useful, talk to alathan and polaris, there might be ways to get permission to use some stuff.

I'll just weight the tile types as though it were random terrain - engines toward the back' date=' command towards the front and everything else in the middle.[/quote']

Well, engines can go in a few places. Typically placed in the rear, but can also be on the side or above and below the plane of the ship. The bridge at the front is a bad place for it unless you really do use the mark I eyeball for piloting (e.g. starfighters in Star Wars). Else, its better to bury the bridge of larger ships deeper into the heart of the ship to protect it (like where the CIC on modern naval vessels).

New version-

http://curufea.com/games/shipgen/ship2.php

This one saves the result to a text file stored on my site so you can reload it in different formats - text, grid or hex. The hexgrid id definitely a work in progress.

Also - a single image is drawn, rather than using an HTML table of image tiles.

What I need to do for both the square grid, and most especially for the hex grid - is to define polygons based on edge detection. The hex grid version ideally will draw a base grid to begin with, block out the empty parts, and colour the relevant parts.

BTW, the text file is named according to your IP address, so hopefully there won't be people using each others files.