I am wearable by others

7thGate

I am building a character for a champions campaign which is an AI downloaded into a suit of military powered armor. Most of the time, he is "empty" and functions much like a normal robot. What I am having a hard time building is a power that will let another character wear me to be protected by my defenses and life support, or to act as a prison (I.E. I knock someone out, put them inside me, and they probably can't do much). Also, if someone is wearing me and we get shot at, who would take the damage? And if I try to take a different action than the person inside of me, what would happen?

Re: I am wearable by others

Many ways to do it, but probably the easiest:

1) To protect someone else, make your Armor and Life Support Usable by one other person at the same time.

2) Carrying them "Inside" you can just be a special effect of the Grab maneuver. To deal with the combat penalties, buy Penalty Skill Levels with Grab to bring your DCV back up.

There are other methods, but as a GM I'd approve the above.

I would go with OddHat's ideas above, but to be safe, I'd also include Extra Limbs (so you can continue to act while Grabbing a hostile character) and/or Clinging (to stay wrapped around a friendly character, even if Knocked Back) both of which are reasonably cheap.

Actually, since they'd both be Limited powers (Only to Stay Attached to "Passenger") they'd be even cheaper.

Edit: as for who'd take the damage from a hit, technically you'd both be targeted separately. If you feel you should be hurt by someone attacking your passenger, I'd recommend "Feedback" as a limitation on Armor.

I am building a character for a champions campaign which is an AI downloaded into a suit of military powered armor. Most of the time' date=' he is "empty" and functions much like a normal robot. What I am having a hard time building is a power that will let another character wear me to be protected by my defenses and life support, or to act as a prison (I.E. I knock someone out, put them inside me, and they probably can't do much). Also, if someone is wearing me and we get shot at, who would take the damage? And if I try to take a different action than the person inside of me, what would happen?[/quote']

Personally I would focus on the life support aspect of this and make everything else an environmental effect.

So I would buy the life support as usable by one other person at the same time (like Oddhat suggested). They can only get that benefit by climbing inside you.

When they are inside then they are obviously not available to be shot at. If you get shot at and take damage - then that gets applied against your STUN and BODY but the damage that you took would be applied as a seperate attack against the person inside though they could count their defences against it (so would be very unlikely to take more than a small amount of STUN in most situations).

This is a simple application of common sense which sometimes gets put to one side in rule discussions! :D

Doc

Interesting.

Theer have been a couple of questions of this sort recently and it si a good point. It may be that 6th edition will provide a mechanism of even a new rule or power to accomplish this.

I've suggested, years ago, that shapeshift should have an 'Engulf' adder, but we don't have anything that does this entirely one-step, so...

Let me get this right.

There is an armour suit and an AI.

The AI is in fact the character. The Armour can either be animated by the AI, worn by another, or animated by the AI whilst being worn by another, to act as protection or a 'prison'.

Before I forget, the easiest fix for the 'prison' would be to have a small continuous stun suppress to keep the contained prisoner out of it - technically even if you have extra limbs and a massive STR advantage you are still going to take the penalties for grabbing a resisting opponent and anyone of 'hero class' will be able to break through most 'prison powers' like entangle and FW. Keep them out of it. Much simpler :)

Another option, and it may sound like the normal cop-out, but bear with me - is transform. It can take some time to bundle the chap up, but we can assume that includes sorting out power dampeners and all sorts. Basically transform unconscious/unresisting opponent into imprisoned opponent freed by release or external damage to the suit. That effectively gets rid of the opponent. The advantage is that you could do something very similar with a willing body - effectively they are not there to be damaged whilst the suit still exists. If the person inside is put in the suit , for game purposed, you can ignore them, which is what you want, if I understand. Characters with more Body will take longer to 'incorporate', but more Body often implies more mass and so that is not unreasonable. you'd want a limit on the max size character you can protect/imprison.

That also sorts out the protection: build the suit as an automaton. Get GM permission to play an AI character. You are good to go.

Dare I suggest the dreaded EDM, UAA? Perhaps with the limitation only against willing or unconscious opponents.

Pros: It provides absolute protection or containment to the person inside the "suit dimension" for an economic cost. It's a simple one power build.

Cons: I was compelled to use the term "absolute" which can be substituted with "extremely powerful" as most UAA EDM builds are.