combat luck

Bathawk1

Hope this isn't "wrong" for me to ask.

I didn't get Hero 5th edition because as near as I could tell it had very little difference from the 4th edition one. And now with 6th edition in the future. my "need" to get 5th ed. is even smaller

but when it comes to differences I saw a perk called "combat luck" as near as I can tell is this just a few points of resistant defense with a special effect?

Re: combat luck

5th is mainly easier to the eye. You will find stuff a lot faster (except ablative) and it has a lot of small tweaks here and there. The core is identical though. Aid is now 10 points, and there is broken Healing.

It's not a bad buy by all means, and my group owns multiple copies (one digital and two real books). I would recommend the pdf, as you can search it better and if you have a notebook, that's lighter than the book ;)

If you play HERO enough to warrant buying a book, I'd highly recommend at least checking out 5E at your FLGS. It is a lot "better" than 4E, though again mostly in better wording, better layout, easier to find / build stuff, etc.

Also, HERO Designer is 5E, and is a fantastic tool to save time on character creation and updates and making combat records and such.

well, I'll probably wait for 6th edition (and please don't tell me that silver and blue armor guy is the new Defender)

but any examples of anything I'm missing? my geuss it was mostly be rules tweaks, and changes in point costs

Here is the most thorough and informative summary I've seen of the changes from Fourth to Fifth Edition: http://theemerged.blogspot.com/HERO425.htm . It doesn't give enough information to replace the 5E rulebook (deliberately so), but it will let you recognize nearly every unfamiliar element of the new rules.

And yes, that armor guy is the new Defender. You can blame the art department of Cryptic Studios, new owners of the Champions IP.

Here is the most thorough and informative summary I've seen of the changes from Fourth to Fifth Edition: http://theemerged.blogspot.com/HERO425.htm . It doesn't give enough information to replace the 5E rulebook (deliberately so), but it will let you recognize nearly every unfamiliar element of the new rules.

And yes, that armor guy is the new Defender. You can blame the art department of Cryptic Studios, new owners of the Champions IP.

That link was excellent, the "two pages on change environment" alone might be sufficient for me to get a 5th ed copy before sixth...well if I cna find a good deal

But just as that sold me on th 5th ed book it's kind of killed my 6ed interest..THAT really is the new Defender? I 'll stop short of saying it's embarrassing (Gas grenade! quick Defender...hold your breath!) BUT....

....I can't really say this bodes well for for the charcater creation tool. Oh I don't know I probably will get the Champions video game...

...just won't buy it at full price

That link was excellent, the "two pages on change environment" alone might be sufficient for me to get a 5th ed copy before sixth...well if I cna find a good deal

But just as that sold me on th 5th ed book it's kind of killed my 6ed interest..THAT really is the new Defender? I 'll stop short of saying it's embarrassing (Gas grenade! quick Defender...hold your breath!) BUT....

....I can't really say this bodes well for for the charcater creation tool. Oh I don't know I probably will get the Champions video game...

...just won't buy it at full price

6E will be the rules set for all genres, whereas the champions universe is merely an expression of one genre. There is no reason you can't use the 5E rules with the 4E champions universe. Or the 6E rules with the 5E champions universe. Or port discrete elements - like a different version of a single character - from one iteration of the rules to another with a little editing. The differences between editions (so far) has not been so great that making a few edits to materials from old genre books is particularly onerous. Its usually just a notation or two.