STR vs STR for entangles/grabs??

eternal_sage

ok, while my wife and i were working on some racial packages for our oriental fantasy game, i had a sudden brainstorm. one of the combat actions that has always been a real pain for me and my group is grappling/entangles (since the mechanics are very similar), mostly because of the complexity of rolling up the BODY/Defense then attacking that number, etc, etc, etc. would it not be simpler to just have a STR vs STR contest, ala clinging? a die of entangle would equal 5 STR, btw.

the question here is what kind of problems/issues can you see coming up here. i'm seeing all roses, but i often miss stuff like drawbacks and disadvantages :D. one thing my wife had pointed out was that it would be hard to break someone out of an entangle made this way (cutting away the webbing/vines/ice/etc).

thanks guys!

Re: STR vs STR for entangles/grabs??

the problem with giving an entangle a str score is that there is no way to wear it down

a 4 body/ 4 def entangle is for the first attempt equal to a 40 str grab

unless you have a at least a 35 str and roll well against the 40 str's average

you are stuck

where as a 20 str with good rolls can wear down a 4 body/4 def entangle

an entangle is ment to stand on it's own

now to use clinging your going to have to buy it at

Uncontrolled (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1)

and at a level that you want after you disengage your str

and then your target will need to be next to something that the clinging can hang on to

ok, while my wife and i were working on some racial packages for our oriental fantasy game, i had a sudden brainstorm. one of the combat actions that has always been a real pain for me and my group is grappling/entangles (since the mechanics are very similar), mostly because of the complexity of rolling up the BODY/Defense then attacking that number, etc, etc, etc. would it not be simpler to just have a STR vs STR contest, ala clinging? a die of entangle would equal 5 STR, btw.

the question here is what kind of problems/issues can you see coming up here. i'm seeing all roses, but i often miss stuff like drawbacks and disadvantages :D. one thing my wife had pointed out was that it would be hard to break someone out of an entangle made this way (cutting away the webbing/vines/ice/etc).

thanks guys!

The Body/DEF of an Entangle serves the very important Mechanic of "I can cut through this rope eventually..." kind of breakout situation.

Think of it this way; Entangle pre-rolls the STRvsSTR contest. the DEF part is Static the BODY part is (when you look at it) counted just like the BODY of a STR Roll. Everytime you roll more STR than DEF the Entangle loses one 1 (or more BODY); or, it starts to weaken.

The bonus is you don't have to keep rerolling the "STR vs STR" contest, only one half needs be rerolled. You're saving a step.

One possible fix is to build an entangle with a limitation 'can be broken out of with a STR v STR roll using STR = (DEFx5)' -1/2

That way someone trapped has the option of hacking the thing apart with a knife or bursting out if strong enough.

How would you convert the entangle to strength? 1d6 = 10 ST? So a 4d6 Entangle would have 40 ST or a ST Roll of 17-. And what about defense? Add +1 per die per DEF. So Entangle 4d6 Def 4 would come out with a roll of 21? Just curious.

One possible fix is to build an entangle with a limitation 'can be broken out of with a STR v STR roll using STR = (DEFx5)' -1/2

That way someone trapped has the option of hacking the thing apart with a knife or bursting out if strong enough.

Can't we already do something similar by limiting the entangle to one body only?

How would you convert the entangle to strength? 1d6 = 10 ST? So a 4d6 Entangle would have 40 ST or a ST Roll of 17-. And what about defense? Add +1 per die per DEF. So Entangle 4d6 Def 4 would come out with a roll of 21? Just curious.

The suggestion was STR=(DEFx5), if it is worth a limitation: if you had to roll against 40 STR that would be no better really than doing 8 BODY, so no limitation.

If the idea was simply to convert BODY/DEF to a STR roll (so normal damage does not break you out - you NEED a STR roll), well (BODY+DEF)x5 works for that but would be a considerable advantage - you can't cut yourself out so if you are not strong enough you are stuck.

Limitinig entangle to 1 Body has a similar but not identical effect - it depends what you are after. Is the idea that it is easier to burst out with a STR roll? If so, a limtiation on entangle does it. If not I'd need a better description of what we are after.