Racial Packages for Nivan's known space?

Narthon

Has anyone ever used any of the Larry Niven known space races in their games?

Many would be great in either space or supers games.

I'd like to see writeups for Kzinti, Puppeteers, Thrint, Jotok, or basicly any other race he has used. I would espically like to see write-ups for Protectors, be they Pak, Human, or any of the ring-world races.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

I guess nobody has tried it yet, but we can kick around some ideas here to get you started.

These are all the common Puppeteer traits I can remember:

-Herbivorous

-Extremely Cowardly, except all the ones that leave the home planet are insane

-3 legs with hooves, good for running and kicking

-2 hand/faces with very dextrous fingers

-Exceptional control over voice

-Usually backed by their commercial empire on the rare occasions they interact with other species

These are all the common Kzinti traits I can remember:

-Carnivorous

-Aggressive, Warlike

-As predators they are Strong, Tough, Dextrous, etc., but rather dense

-Claws/Teeth

-Tail

-Strong sense of honor and position, constant duels

-Females had the intelligence bred out of them (I think there's a whole complicated situation with the females I can't remember)

-They had an aggressively expanding empire, until the humans beat them down and killed many of the more warlike and violent individuals. Now, only the Kzinti with relative self-control are left.

I'll start working on a package using this stuff...

Originally posted by Narthon

Sure, that would be fine, though there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Think I should repost in star hero?

Narthon

Pak Protectors are something I have toyed with but I have had a hard time making him particularly impressive in a world populated by Bricks and Energy Projectors, but who wants to let a player run a Pak in a 150pt Star Hero game where he really stands out? Definitely 250pts and maybe 350.

Pak Protectors are something I have toyed with but I have had a hard time making him particularly impressive in a world populated by Bricks and Energy Projectors, but who wants to let a player run a Pak in a 150pt Star Hero game where he really stands out? Definitely 250pts and maybe 350.

Actually, I think a pak might make a good light brick, and could definatly be a great martial artist.

It could also act as party scientist/jack of all trades, and they are definatly gageteers.

I figure an int of 40 isn't unreasonable, making them a natrual at most skills.

Narthon

Originally posted by Snarf

Are there an stories where they tired out quickly doing other things?

Going by looks alone, I'd say they seem pretty tough and long lasting in general.

To tell the truth, I don't recall anything either way. My guess, based on the explanation for why humans can outrun them over a distance, is that in general, kzinti are good for short bursts of power, but tire quickly. They evolved as stalk-and-pounce hunters. Typically with this type of hunter, the prey will get away if the first pounce doesn't do the job, because the hunter can't chase it very far. I would expect that this would translate into other areas than simple running.

I would expect kzinti to be devastating in a short toe-to-toe combat, but in a longer term, run-and-shoot combat, I'd expect them to spend a lot of time taking recoveries, in relation to how often the humans do. The team's kzinti might get ahead early on, and win all the glory for a while, but he'll slow down as he gets exhausted, and the humans can catch up or pull ahead.

In game terms, I'd give kzinti a higher running and higher strength than humans, but maybe a lower endurance. Even if the endurance level is the same, though, they'd burn through theirs faster than a human would. A point or two lower on recovery would also help to slow them down over the long haul.