Public Domain/Free Pictures

BobGreenwade

Searching around for illustrations I could use in Haymaker!, I came across this site with a lot of stuff anyone could use.

I propose using this thread for people to post any sites with free-for-use artwork, photography, and so forth. If there's enough response, maybe it can be made Sticky.... :)

I have a few more that I've found, and I'll probably post them presently, but this one's the most interesting.

Re: Public Domain/Free Pictures

I had a pretty good site with a bunch of woodcuts from the Victorian Era and earlier, but I can't find it now...

One thing I do when I'm looking for public domain pics is do a Google search using "site:gutenberg.org" as one of the search terms.

I'll see if I can find that first site. It had some pretty good stuff.

EDIT: YES! Here it is...I overlooked it the first time through my bookmarks because the name seemed too commercial, and I remembered it was a .edu site.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/sitemap/sitemap.htm

What I used for a boardgame recently-

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Manners, Customs, and Dress During the Middle Ages, and During the Renaissance Period. By Paul Lacroix (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10940/10940-h/10940-h.htm∞ )

Medieval Woodcuts Clipart Collection (http://www.godecookery.com/clipart/clart.htm∞)

Military uniforms of the 1660s to the 1700s

Mistaken scientific theories of the past. Not all the pics here are public domain, but there are still a lot of woodcuts, engravings, etc.

Pictures from past editions of Last of the Mohicans.

Pictures of the American Revolution, from the National Archives.

Some artists worth Googling, IMO: Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, Edmund Dulac, Arthur Rackham, Albrecht Durer, John William Waterhouse.

Guest Admiral C

Honestly there needs to be more public domain material. It not only spurs creativity by giving you more tools to work with but provides more ways to convey ideas to each other on the form of pictures.

Honestly there needs to be more public domain material. It not only spurs creativity by giving you more tools to work with but provides more ways to convey ideas to each other on the form of pictures.

Welcome to the new age of copyright law. It now has to be at least 100 years old or specifically put into the public domain to make it so (longer if the work was an individuals rather than a companies).

Welcome to the new age of copyright law. It now has to be at least 100 years old or specifically put into the public domain to make it so (longer if the work was an individuals rather than a companies).
That depends on when it was created. The current law, as I understand it, extends to 100 years after the creator's death, though the previous law was 75 years after that time. And practically anything created before 1923 is in public domain.