Campaigns Magic Systems

Nightshade

In another of many questions I have been asking on campaign building recently:

What about magic? How much time do you spend to create the magic. Do you create all of the spells? Just create guidelines? A little of both? How do you plan on using the Fantasy HERO Grimoire?

Personally, I like having many types of magic, each connected to special effect. However, I also like the idea that magic is consistent in some aspects and not in others.

For example, all of my spells are divided into groups, such as Necromancy, Abjuration, Totemic, Alchemy, etc. Every group requires the use of a different skill roll and is fed using an endurance reserve. All spells require endurance, skill roll, and side effects, with an additional -1 of limitations.

However, every spell group has different structures. Elementalism, for example, is divided into five paths (Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Metal). Each path will have its own skill associated with it, but they will all be on the same endurance reserve.

I will also have tiered spell groups, where each spell will have a level (level one darkness, level two darkness, etc.). That way, the mage will be able to increase his individual spells without having to buy several of the same type of spells.

In addition, I will have connected spell groups, which will require prerequisites in order to get the spells and spell circles, where it will be necessary to get so many points in a circle before getting spells from the next circle. These will be limitations, as it is more difficult to get spells in these structures as the other two (I am thinking a -1/2).

I was thinking of creating some of the spell groups, but using the FHG for some of the others (like alchemy). I was also going to allow the players to come up with their own spells and even spell groups if they wanted. If they didn't, though, they would have some resources to go to so they didn't have to do everything from scratch.

How about you guys? How much time and effort do you put into the magic in your worlds?

Nightshade

There are two directions to consider when making a magic system:

1) How does magic work in the campaign world?

2) How do magic-using characters balance in terms of character creation and game rules?

It's very easy to get focused on one (usually #2) and omit the other.

Moreover, there are two general styles of magic systems. The first is akin to Champions: the GM creates general rules for magic, but players have a lot of freedom in creating spells and possibly even whole systems of magic. (For example, the GM may say that all magic requires RSR, Gestures, and Foci, but players are free within those bounds to write up whatever spells and magic types they can think of.) The second is a focused style where the GM has created a much tighter framework of what is and is not acceptable. This may mean a specific list of approved spells, or just specific definitions of what is and is not OK in the magic system.

The Grimoire definitely works toward the former (Champions) style: while there's a big list of spells, there are lots of options listed for each spell, and it's clear that these are not the only spells out there. (GMs could also use the Grimoire as part of a more focused system, of course.)

Champions-style is well-suited for high-fantasy and D&D-esque games; Focused-style is better for low-fantasy and "realistic" games.

When I started my current campaign (6+ years ago), I gave a list of required and suggested limitations and set a cap on Active Cost. I worked OK and got the game going.

Now, I'm starting to work with my magic using players and establishing some additional structure. Partialy because I want it, but also because the players have asked for additional structure.

I'm assembling something similar to the Spell Colleges, but defining which powers each college has access to and which are prohibited. These will vary from college to college. This should fix the "every college has the same spells" problem presented in the previous edition FH.

I am also defining some Knowledge Skills a caster using that college should know to represent competence and/or mastery.

I am not creating spells for the colleges until I need them to save on the work - it will be some time before the player characters see or need many of them.

I generally use spell colleges (this dates back Many years to when I ran Fantasy hero) and some Radicly differant systems and I had a open mind for other options...So "regular" mages used the wave arms, Zub zub system with spell colleges, Elementalism was termed "Sorcery" and used a few effects that worked like super powers (Will and word) and Naming was a Big Multi power with a lim that active was controlled by how good a name you had handy and was the only nonempathic form of healing available (making it desirable despite the inherant limitations) so a "mage" does his thing and casts a fire blast but a Fire lord just uses his 2D6 RKA (Flame) with +1/2 variable advantage...it costs way more but does way more. This was to keep the feeling of freedom that is a big part of the Hero system without losing controll and endimg up with spandex clad elen wizards forming a "justice league"...:)

I like to specify magic systems by culture/group. Just specifying required limitations (although I have those too) seems to be a little bland.

So even within one culture, the Temple Sorcerors of the Great God have different spells and spell casting system from their underground, heretic enemies.

In general, mages trained at ancient schools get spells without drastic side effects attached, as the bugs have been worked out of the system over time, whereas mages taught under more informal rules may get a hodgepodge of spells, some of which may be extremely dangerous to use...

cheers, Mark

I've spent quite a bit of time working on my magic systems for my campaign (shamefully, much more than physical settings :( ). The quick rundown is that I seem to have the same ideas as Markdoc ... each culture tends to have it's own magic system, though I have one overriding feature common to all.

I have a "magic is a natural resource" type system where every living thing is a magical battery of sorts. This means that mages power their spells from END reserves that they have to buy ... but the REC is based on the ambient magical energy. In a low mana area ... the REC will be slow ... in a high mana area ... the REC will be more than they can keep up with.

The most common type of magic is "learned" human magic ... focusing on your common schools of magic ... elemental, illusions, etc. The second most common is divine magic ... given to each individual by their god. These effects are far more subtle ... appearing more as unexplained miracles than actual spells ... the worshipper's mace encircled with divine flame as they beat the ghoul into submission, etc. I also have ideas for a couple more types of magic that I have not fleshed out ... as well as one type that one of my players came to me and said, "I have this idea ... but I don't know if it will fit into your world ..." I liked the idea ... so I found a way :)

To answer the original questions ... I have spent more time on the magic system than any other element so far. I am planning on creating a number of spells, but working with the players to create others if they want more using mine as a guideline. The Grimoire I intend to use for ideas more than anything else ... and more for my ideas than the player's ideas.

I spent a lot of time on the 3 magic systems in my game so far because their strengths and limitations are really defining points of the game. (Wizard, Priest, Bard).

I generated a handful of example spells myself. I expect to let PCs eventually build their own spells, subject to my approval, using the rules of their system.