Super heroes in Ancient Asia

CoreBrute

I've been having an idea buzzing around my head, and so I've decided to try it out. What I need are some point limit suggestions, or any advice you guys have to give.

Well here it is:

In the 15th century, the world was very close to other dimensions, worlds of magic and unpredictability. It's proximity allowed some select individuals to achieve martial arts skills that in later years would become impossible to replicate, like being able to cut trees in half with their bare hands, catching arrows in their hands and many more impossible abilities. It made the world a very tantalising target to a world of Oni (demons) who fed on this energy.

They burst through the scars in the world, where the world converged with their own. They took over most of the world and a wave of darkness fell upon the world. The world looked doomed.

Then these saviours appeared. a group of 7, of incredibly different backgrounds, all were skilled warriors and had impossible powers. (The 7 are based off the Justice League, if they were in a ninja hero setting. This means: Superman, Batman, Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Wonder Woman).

Appearing from a fallen star, the hero who would become know as the Iron Shogun, wore a suit of armour made out of his star, that left him impregnable. Even without it, he was incredibally strong, able to rip enemies apart eith his bare hands.

The Bandit in the Shadows, whose parents were killed by a Ronin who had betrayed his master. Swearing to kill all dishonourable samurai, he was trained by a sect of ninjas, becoming their greatest fighter. He left to fight this evil, disappearing out of nowhere, he killed thousands of Oni.

Son of a Diren (Chinese mermaid) and a human fisherman, Man from the Ocean, as he was called had great strength in and out of the water. He was incredibly fast and strong, he destroyed the Oni's sea faring armada almost completely on his own.

A prankster as a child, Songhe Ba annoyed a priest by hiding his animals while he was praying. When Songhe saw how angry he had made the priest, he ran as fast as his little legs could carry him. So the priest stated that he would always run, and disaster would follow wherever he stayed for more then a day.

Suddenly Songhe could run at huge speeds, surpassing the fastest of animals. He called himself the Red Bo, after the legendary horse which could outrun all. He is the only one whose real name is known.

A monk who desired complete knowledge of the world, took to having a meditation that would last for 100 years. Using his great discipline he slowed his body till he could no longer age or feel the world.

In his visions he saw a glowing blue figure, who told him how to control his Chi in such a way he could create anything, as long as he remained dedicated and focussed. If he ever lost his focus, his powers would leave him.

When he awoke, He was a man in his 30s, instead of the old man he was when he started to meditate. He used his great powers to stop the Oni, with the other warriors, combined with his knowledge of Kung Fu. He called himself the Torch, to lead others to salvation.

A Chiang-Shi (vampire) who retained his superior soul could control his actions. He could become a force of good, and while he was limited by his fear of fire and his hunger, he destroyed the Oni with great magic.

finally, a female Hoh Sheng (Enforcer of a celestial Goddess), came down with all her mistresses might to squash the Oni who had overstepped their bounds. She was immune to almost all weaponry, she did not harm those who showed respect and honour. After returning order, she was commanded to remain on earth, to make sure everything was good, and to act as the goddess commanded.

After the Oni were driven back, the people cheered. They expected peace. They expected unity. What they got were 7 dictators.

These heroes took over the world and divided it among themselves. The exceptions were the Man from the Ocean, who disappeared into the sea, and The bandit in the Shadow, who the others betrayed. Banishing him, he swore vengence against the fools.

Now a new group of heroes must come, with new powers. They must save the world, and get glory for themselves.

Origins: Aliens are a no. Technology based stuff...no. Gadgets like a smoke bomb or low tech maybe. Magic is a yes, as is all forms of martial arts. Infact that might be the majority of powers. i.e. a technique that allows you to become invisible, or burst into flames because your releasing so much Chi.

You can be born with your powers, either as a half Oni, or a curse on your mother etc. It is possible for science, like someone smelting you with metal so you become a metal man.

Basically anything an Anime would allow I would probably allow.

Having knowledge of kung fu, regardless of origin, is almost a must.

Now here is where I need help. Some guidelines of power limits or advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Super heroes in Ancient Asia

250 - 350 pts is usually the starting point for beginning heroes. If these Seven took over the world, they would have to hold it against the Olympians, the Aesir, the Danaan who probably had their own epic heroes in place.

Bandit in the Shadows would probably not take his beating lying down and might gather heroes to try and get rid of the other six. That could be the basis for a team.

If the starting heroes are 350, how many points are the seven? Anything beyond 750-1000 mark would be hard to battle unless you had some heavy hitting PCs.

I believe that in the 1400's, guns and cannons were readily usuable. That might put a crimp in most plans.

That was the first things off my head.

CES

Thanks for that. I don't think gun were in possesion of every thug who wanted one. It was still expensive, and unweildy. I do't mind using cannons against the enemies.

Also, don't forget that for the 7's power they also have the resources of entire empires to send against the heroes. They won't meet for a very long time.

Bandit in the Shadows...I have plans for him, but your idea was basically what I had in mind.

In this world, I've decided that we won't be focussing on the gods of other world religions. I just said Ancient Asia so it would be a combination of Chinese, Indian and Japanese folklore and history.

But the gods who are there aren't happy with what's going on. They can't take away the Hoh Sheng (Wonder Woman)'s power for some reason unknown to the PCs. They might be employed by the gods themselves to solve this problem.

As I'm a little short on brainstorming time at the moment :o , I'd like to fill the intervening time with resource suggestions that may help you with this campaign. I assume that you have a good understanding, or access to resources about, the mythologies of this region. Just in case you don't, the Encyclopedia Mythica is a convenient place to start. Right now I'll focus on HERO System resources, detailed below.

From published books, I highly recommend the HERO System Asian Bestiary I and II. They provide a huge range of fully-statted examples of creatures and races from the myths and folklore of many Asian peoples, particularly India, China, and Japan; including the servants of the gods. Many of these are either super-class just as written, or easily upgradeable.

I'd also like to direct you to a couple of excellent HERO fan websites dealing with the historical culture and archetypes of this period and region, with an emphasis on fantastical adventure:

WuXia HERO addresses this particular genre of Chinese adventurer, the typical characters and their often-estraordinary abilities, the common plots and genre elements, with many links to other website resources; and how to translate these elements to HERO terms;

Sengoku is a complete HERO web sourcebook for gaming in this era of feudal Japan, with NPCs, adventures, and numerous example write-ups of magical powers.

Finally, you might benefit from The New Circle, a team inspired by the classic pre-4E Champions mystic hero group. The New Circle is also based on the DC superheroes you mention, although with a distinctive supernatural slant. Although not all their backgrounds would fit with what you propose, some of their origins, and their character sheets (for both Standard and Cosmic Superhero power levels) may be adaptable.