Healing Flash or transform damage

Crissa

Under Healing in FRED, it says that healing can undo status effects or Transforms or flash damage... But there's no suggestions of how to price this at all. I used the search tool and found... Cleric/Wizard spells which was interesting, but didn't have any base cost, so I couldn't figure out the math.

I've seen Simplified Healing in the software, but I don't have the software, so I don't know what it costs.

What do you suppose you'd price at.

• Cannot Heal Self (that unicorn again)
  • Only for Flash Damage (Cure blindness)
  • Only for Transform Damage (Dispel Magic?)
  • Only to count for healing Disabled, must take Can Heal Limbs.

Anyone have any links or comparisons? Very helpful so far ^-^

-Crissa

Re: Healing Flash or transform damage

Here's what recently I designed for Wonder Woman's Lasso which has some 'healing' abilities:

11 The Golden Lasso: Elemental Control, 56-point powers, (28 Active Points); all slots OAF (Lasso; -1), Gestures (-1/4), Limited Power Affected by Adjustment powers as an EC (-1/4)

7 1) Stretching 9", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1), Always Direct (-1/4), Limited Body Parts (-1/4) 2

9 2) Area Of Effect (up to 2" radius; +3/4) for up to 75 Active Points of STR (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Grabs and Throws (-1) 6

17 The Fires of Hestia: Multipower, 56-point reserve, (56 Active Points); all slots OAF (Golden Lasso; -1), Conditional Power Only usable vs. target(s) grabbed using Golden Lasso (-1), Limited Power Affected by Adjustment powers as an EC (-1/4)

1u 1) Drain EGO 1 1/2d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only to force truthful answers from anyone held within the Lasso. (-1) 2

1u 2) Healing 1d6+1 (standard effect: 4 points), any [special effect] power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Decreased Re-use Duration (5 Minutes; +1), Continuous (+1) (55 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4) 2

1u 3) Major Transform 1d6, Improved Results Group (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (56 Active Points); Limited Power Only to Heal other Transforms (-1), No Range (-1/2) 2

1u 4) Dispel 3d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Penetrating (+1/2), Area Of Effect (2" radius; +3/4), Continuous (+1), all [special effect] powers simultaneously (+2) (54 Active Points); Limited Power Only to "break" other effects (-1), No Range (-1/2) 2

Maybe it'll give you some ideas. :D

Oh, helpful!

Hmm, would All or Nothing be worth -1/2 on Healing a status effect?

-Crissa

to me it would depend on the size of the heal vs the typical campaign power levels. it basically boils down to an activation roll - if the healing dice did not roll high enough, it fails, so i would price it accordingly looking at the typical wounds and how likely this healing dice are to meet that total.

90% success = -1/2

75% success = -3/4

62% success = -1

25% success = -2 i think

etc

I don't think I'd ever put All or Nothing on a Heal, but there are considerations when it would be appropriate (such as Blindness/Deafness). Those are generally healed back by Transforms, however.

Others Only is a standard limitation (-1/2) and to heal Flash damage... hmm. Well, a Flash is 5 points/d6. To simulate that, I'd purchase Healing, Only to Heal Flash Damage (-1). Then every point of BODY would heal back one Phase/Point of Flash damage.

I really dislike the cost structure for healing flash' date=' it takes huge stacks of heal dice to heal a flashed character.[/quote']

In the sense that it costs more to heal them than it does to Flash them? Yeah, that's a losing battle. END alone means rolling the same number of dice to the same effect (normal damage BODY) is a losing proposition. However, I can't think of a better/superior way to handle it, in all honesty. It's one of those rare cases where the attack is cheaper than the cure.

I think the body you roll on the heal dice should heal the flashed amount. That's still more expensive than the attack to heal but not so absurdly much. Healing damage is typically more than the damage done, that's fine with me. This is just too much out of proportion as written.

I think the body you roll on the heal dice should heal the flashed amount. That's still more expensive than the attack to heal but not so absurdly much. Healing damage is typically more than the damage done' date=' that's fine with me. This is just too much out of proportion as written.[/quote']

Ehh... I see the point, but then one die of Heal (10 Active) can heal on average 3 Segments of Flash, which would be 15 Active (average). Either way it's going to be skewed. Technically, though, by the canon that Defense is cheaper than Offense, I would be forced to agree. I don't know that I would allow it; I generally use the RAW. But I agree in principle.

Ehh... I see the point' date=' but then one die of Heal (10 Active) can heal on average 3 Segments of Flash, which would be 15 Active (average). Either way it's going to be skewed. Technically, though, by the canon that Defense is cheaper than Offense, I would be forced to agree. I don't know that I would allow it; I generally use the RAW. But I agree in principle.[/quote']

But Healing the flash is not Defense, is it? That's what Flash Defense is for. If the argument is that healing Flash is over priced when compared to healing BODY when considering the different prices, sure, that's a point. IMO, however, it doesn't contradict the canon "Defense is cheaper than Offense" concept, since we are not talking about defense.

But Healing the flash is not Defense, is it? That's what Flash Defense is for. If the argument is that healing Flash is over priced when compared to healing BODY when considering the different prices, sure, that's a point. IMO, however, it doesn't contradict the canon "Defense is cheaper than Offense" concept, since we are not talking about defense.

And thus the loop begins! Again, I agree, but this is [this whole heavy minutiae breakdown discussion] why I stand by the canon. While I can look at it and go "Eh... sure" I also don't know that I agree that just because you have "heal" you should be able to make it all go away. Heal for one die sits right between Energy Blast and RKA in terms of "one die." A one die HEAL Normal Damage BODY is.

HMM.

Canonically more expensive than Energy Blast!

Problem solved. :D

Thanks! And I stand by my gut instinct, that I would enforce this normally.

Yeah you can't think of heal as a defense, it's healing; different class entirely.

The logic of the build seems to be that the best roll of a heal ought to be able to totally cure the average roll of the given power it targets for the same active cost. For example, 60 active points of energy blast averages 42 stun and 12 body - 60 active points of heal should heal that with a max roll (and it does, roughly).

So flash averages 1 point of flash per 5 points: 60 active points of flash will do an average of 12 phases of flash and 60 active points of heal will heal at most 12 phases of heal.

In those terms the present build makes sense, in actual play terms it doesn't work out well. a 60 active point heal will heal 6 phases of flash, which isn't a whole lot for using a phase up.

I didn't want to pipe in, as that was what was going through my head. Generally you don't want to have the repair ability cost the same resources as the attack... That leaves you with healers which are unable to really do anything but waste actions in combat.

I was wondering, healing flash damage is listed as the same level ability as simplified healing... As if you had to buy it specifically as Healing: Flash Damage 10/phase healed. That's both nonrandom (unlike other abilities) and it's double the cost of Flash. That led me to wonder if seeing it as a same level option was wrong, and healing flash damage was supposed to be a side effect of healing.

-Crissa

Healing is an adjustment power, which is nice, because blindness can be caused in many ways. You can flash someone, transform their eyes into coal or gouge them out with a dagger (sorry if you are eating breakfast). Now, TECHNICALLY, not every 'blindness transform' can be healed - some will have a condition (Kiss a princess - with tongues), and no amount of healing will help there (except, perhaps, if she doesn't appreciate the attention).

Now I say it is nice that healing is an adjustment power because TECHNICALLY, healing a flash, a transform and damage are three seperate powers UNLESS you can persuasde the GM to allow the 'variable effect' advantage, available for adjustment powers, to apply to allow all three forms of healing SO LONG as it only relates to sorting out blindness.

To sort out 'Princess Blindness' you will either need a linked transform (blind to not blind) or dispel (which works best in a fantasy game when the meta-sfx is almost bound to be 'magic'.

I'd allow 'all or nothing' at -1/2, just like transform. Tesuji makes a good argument that the value depends on the game, but it doesn't for transform and exactly the same considerations apply to this form of healing as do to transform.