Going from Champions to Mutants and Masterminds

nexus

Re: Going from Champions to Mutants and Masterminds

P.S. I also very much like the explicit rule in M&M for using power stunts to achieve occasional effects based on your existing powers. While it's possible in Champions' date=' M&M allows you to spend a Hero Point to do it very easily. So you don't have to build a lengthy multi-power with every possible effect Superman (for example) has ever used; you give him the basics, and allow him to use HPs and perform the occasional novel feat.[/quote']

I thought one of the things that could be done with the new (if 5e) skill "Power" was to achieve occasional effects based on existing powers.

The thing that interested me in Mutants & Masterminds was the ability to create characters who more closely resembled many comic book characters without a) spending hundreds and hundreds of points, B) twisting the rules all out of shape with complex builds to simulate something the system doesn't cover, or c) creating an unbalanced combat monster.

M&M lets you build high-end supers more easily and cheaply than Champions, in my experience, and without making them unbalancing in combat.

For me, this as well as one thing.

The Damage Save Mechanic. FOR ME, and JUST FOR ME, it works better than a hit point system, even with a stun track for knock outs. The idea that two bricks might end up wailing on each other for a while, or that one drops the other in a single shot resembles a lot of what I remember from comics.

I prefer M&M over HERO, but I'm willing to play in both.

You seem to be rare soul. The rivalry between the two systems seemed almost as intense as that Mac vs PC wars.

Really, there's not a huge difference in the bare bones of either system. Sure, one uses d20 and the other uses d6s, but either could be easily subbed out for the other. Personally, I think both systems could learn much from one another. I don't know if I would use Mac vs. PC, but maybe Linux vs. Windows, as it's all the same computer, just different ways of running it ;)

I thought one of the things that could be done with the new (if 5e) skill "Power" was to achieve occasional effects based on existing powers.

From what I've read in a few places, some M and M fans don't think that works since Power stunts are more mechanically supported in M and M while Power skill is pretty vague as it stands. Now I like it that way but that seems to be the point of contention over that.

Really' date=' there's not a huge difference in the bare bones of either system. Sure, one uses d20 and the other uses d6s, but either could be easily subbed out for the other. Personally, I think both systems could learn much from one another. I don't know if I would use Mac vs. PC, but maybe Linux vs. Windows, as it's all the same computer, just different ways of running it ;)[/quote']

Oh I was just referring to the intensity of the animosity between the fans not the difference between the system. Though that competitiveness does seem to have died down a bit.

From what I've read in a few places' date=' some M and M fans don't think that works since Power stunts are more mechanically supported in M and M while Power skill is pretty vague as it stands. Now I like it that way but that seems to be the point of contention over that. [/quote']

I think each system has strengths, but I personally give the edge to M&M because you can do such things much easier on the fly and stay within the mechanical constraints of the game, whereas in Champions, the GM either has to eyeball it, which gives a certain contingent of players who want rigor in their rules the heebie jeebies, or slow play down until the mechanics can be ironed out.

I think each system has strengths' date=' but I personally give the edge to M&M because you can do such things much easier on the fly and stay within the mechanical constraints of the game, whereas in Champions, the GM either has to eyeball it, which gives a certain contingent of players who want rigor in their rules the heebie jeebies, or slow play down until the mechanics can be ironed out.[/quote']

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from there.

I like both, though favor M&M a bit more simply because that's what I'm more familiar with. (I didn't get into HERO until CKC came out for 5th Ed., but was in on M&M -- and the D20 System on which it's loosely based -- from their beginning.) I'd gladly play in both, but every time I start in a HERO game, RL events conspire to take me away from it. (I don't think I've ever played in a HERO game long enough to finish a single combat!)

Guest steamteck

Yeah, I've had no trouble creating characters that fit my vision in M&M--but I'm also less interested in nailing down every possible crunchy detail as long as the overall feel is right. And part of that is my preference these days for simpler systems. (And frankly, most of my gaming these days is done online in collaboratively written fic "systems" with no rules at all, which I like a lot.)

Yeah, I admit I like all the crunchy bits mapped out. Makes them more real to me. I burned out on simpler systems which I find much harder to run. Partly this is because my bunch wants consistency so the crib sheet of GM rulings gets a little long, Partly because my group tires so many strange things its exausting to try and keep up with them. HERO's consistent mechanics make it soooo much easier to run. I can concetrate on the story becuase the mechanics are taken care of. Power skill seems to take care of those unusual uses of power just fine for me.

I run a multiverse campaign anyway so its good to have SF, fantasy and supers under the same system.

Oh, also I've loved the 3d6 "roll under' mechanic ever since the Fantasy Trip. It just sings to me.