New Mechanic: Adjustment Power (Overhauled)

schir1964

Adjustment Power (Adjustment)

An Adjustment Power adds or subtracts points from a target's ability (must be defined at purchase).

An Adjustment Power affects any ability of a specific SFX one power at a time (must be defined at purchase).

Components

• Constant
  • Self Only
  • Maximum Effect: Maximum that can rolled on the dice purchased.
  • Costs Endurance: Adjustment Power affects target for as long as endurance is spent.
  • Cost: 5 Points Per 1d6

Modifiers

• Fade Rate (-1/4 Per 1d6): Effect fades xd6 Points after post 12 recovery (1d6 Set Effect = 3 Points or 1 Body).
  • Extended Fade Rate (+1/2 Per Step Extended): Fade effect is extended via the Time Chart.
  • Target (Self Only +0, Others Only +1/2, Self And Others +1): Defines what targets the power may be used against. This advantage does not grant range to the power.
  • No Dice Maximum (+1/2): No dice roll maximum effect restriction.
  • Increased Dice Maximum (+1/2 Per Doubling): Doubles the current dice roll maximum threshold. Each additional level doubles it again.
  • Instant Power (-1/2): Power and effect is instant.
  • Restoration (+1): Effect is permanent for any power that is below its original value.
  • Reuse Restriction (-1/2): Once Maximum is reached the effect can not be used against the same power again until such time has passed where the power would have restored normally on its own.
  • Transfer (+1, +1 1/2): Effect that transfers points from self to target or target to self which must be defined at purchase. From Power Of SFX to Single Power (+1). From Power Of SFX to Power Of SFX (+1 1/2).
  • Other Standard Modifiers Apply Where Applicable

- Christopher Mullins

Re: New Mechanic: Adjustment Power (Overhauled)

Absorption (4 Points)

Absorption allows one to boost a power up to the dice maximum and only up to the amount of damage suffered from an attack (I'm being deliberately vague here).

• 1d6 (5 Points): 1d6 Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Target - Self Only (+0):
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Fade Rate (6 Points Per Post 12 Recovery: -1/2)
  • Only Up To Damage Taken (-1/4): May only add up to what was taken in damage.

Aid (7 Points)

Aid allows one to boost a power up to the dice maximum.

• Target - Self And Others (+1):
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)

Drain (6 Points)

Drain allows one to reduce another character's power up to the dice maximum.

• Target - Others Only (+1/2):
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)

Healing (5 Points)

Healing allows one to permanently restore a power up to the dice maximum and only up to the maximum of the target power.

• Restoration (+1)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Reuse Restriction (-1/2)

Regeneration (10 Points)

Regeneration restores Body up to the original value.

• 1d6 (5 Points): 1d6 Effect (Set Effect = 1 Body) vs Lethal Damage.
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Restoration (+1)
  • No Dice Maximum (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Affects One Power Only (-1/2)
  • Delayed Effect (-1/2): After every post 12 recovery.

Succor (12 Points)

Succor boosts a power as long as endurance is maintained.

• No Dice Maximum (+1/2)

Suppress (15 Points)

Suppress reduces a power as long as endurance is maintained.

• No Dice Maximum (+1/2)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

Transfer (10 Points)

Transfer reduces a target's power and boosts a power up to the dice maximum.

• 1d6 (5 Points): 1d6 Reduction Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Transfer (+1)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

- Christopher Mullins

Absorption (4 Points)

Aid (7 Points)

Drain (6 Points)

Healing (5 Points)

Regeneration (10 Points)

Succor (12 Points)

Suppress (15 Points)

Transfer (15 Points)

First off, those rankings seem inconsistent with in-play utility. Second, why would I not make my adjustment power (especially Suppress, Succor or Transfer) affect multiple abilities simultaneously over an area of effect with 0 END, and tack on a few more advantages? They cost precious little compared to the base cost of the powers.

First off' date=' those rankings seem inconsistent with in-play utility. Second, why would I not make my adjustment power (especially Suppress, Succor or Transfer) affect multiple abilities simultaneously over an area of effect with 0 END, and tack on a few more advantages? They cost precious little compared to the base cost of the powers.[/quote']

They seem about right for my in-game utility, but that's just me (maybe I'm doing something wrong).

Why don't player just buy Succor persistent and boost as many powers as they can?

Same reason.

- Christopher Mullins

They seem about right for my in-game utility, but that's just me (maybe I'm doing something wrong).

Why don't player just buy Succor persistent and boost as many powers as they can?

Same reason.

Because the rules notes that this can be very abusive (suggesting 0 END Succor be closely scrutinized). Your system requires close scrutiny of pretty much every advantage placed on an adjustment power, which is far too broiad a restriction IMO.

Suppress a single magical power (never changes) 15 points/1d6. Suppress all magical powers: 21 points per 1d6. Suppress all magical powers in an area: 24 points per 1d6.

Drain? I'll pay 8 points per d6, thanks, and have no fade rate. Once I drain you, that's it - it never comes back! :eek:

No point putting Fade Rate on any of them, actually. I'll just keep everything I absorb/aid/transfer forever.

I think I'll buy 1d6 (5 Points): 1d6 Effect vs SFX (one power at a time), no dice maximum (+1/2), Self only (+0), Zero Endurance (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Instant Power (-0 - how is this limiting?), no Fade Rate (-0). For 12.5 points per d6, I can raise any one power of my chosen SFX by 1d6 per phase. I'll start by spending an hour boosting my Aid. With my 6 SPD, that's +6,300 points to my Aid, or another 505d6. Now I'll start bumping my other powers and characteristics at an average of 1,767.5 CP per phase.

I think I'll buy Life Support: no need to sleep, so I can use that extra 8 hours a day bumping my abilities up.

That's certainly true.I'd replace that Power Advantage with the following Power Advantage:Increased Maximum (+1/2).Each level of this Advantage would double the maximum number of points that the Adjustment Power effects:that is one level of this advantage would enable an Adjustment Power to affect 12 C.P. per die,while two levels (a +1 Advantage) would double that maximum to 24 point per die.

Because the rules notes that this can be very abusive (suggesting 0 END Succor be closely scrutinized). Your system requires close scrutiny of pretty much every advantage placed on an adjustment power' date=' which is far too broad a restriction IMO.[/quote']

Well, this really doesn't help me much since I already have to scrutinize everything with Adjustment Powers now as it is.

But I see your point.

However, the initial post is meant to be put into the Toolkit Book (Rules For Constructing Game Systems), while the second post is meant to be put into the Game System Template (Superhero Game System).

Obviously, the toolkit mechanics will let you build "anything", even planet crackers if that is what you want. But the actual balancing needs to be done by the GM and the presented to the players as game system rules (with all the restrictions and so forth).

- Christopher Mullins

That's certainly true.I'd replace that Pwer Advantage with the following Power Advantage:Increased Maximum (+1/2).Each level of this Advantage would double the maximum number of points that the Adjustment Power effects:that is one level of this advantage would enable an Adjustment Power to affect 12 C.P. per die' date='while two levels (a +1 Advantage) would double that maximum to 24 point per die.[/quote']

Hmmm, I'll have to think about this.

• 3 weeks later...

That's certainly true.I'd replace that Power Advantage with the following Power Advantage:Increased Maximum (+1/2).Each level of this Advantage would double the maximum number of points that the Adjustment Power effects:that is one level of this advantage would enable an Adjustment Power to affect 12 C.P. per die' date='while two levels (a +1 Advantage) would double that maximum to 24 point per die.[/quote']

Added to the original post.

- Christopher Mullins

You did not say - and so I'm assuming - that the defence to an adjustment power is Power Defence. If so, I think it is too cheap in your version to start at 5 points, and it should be re-jigged to 10. If the defence is pd or ed, things could look different.

A couple of other thoughts:

Aid to Succor:

Start with AId at 10 points. Add continuous +1: 20 points

Now we have 'costs END' and 'Fades instantly if not maintained' I'm putting that at -1/2. Is it just me of is RAW Succor (and Suppress) way too cheap?

I agree some sort of overhaul is needed.

If we start with slightly different assumptions, what we have here might work well. Part of the problem with adjustment powers is that they work against unusual defences, and part of the problem is that they allow characters to exceed normal campaign limits, so I think the base cost should be 10, not 5.

For 10 points you can add to or subtract from (your choice at build point) from a single power or characteristic at a time defined by sfx.

No range, costs END.

You can add or subtract up to the maximum you can roll on the dice, with multiple rolls, and you can add to that total at 1cp for +2 points. For +1/2 you can add OR subtract. For +1 you can add AND subtract.

For -1/2 you can only add or subtract what you can roll on the dice: the effect is not cumulative to a maximum.

All adjustment powers fade at (target's REC/2) per turn, although you can buy advantages or limitations to change that rate. For -1/2 the effect fades on any phase it is not applied or maintained. For each +1/4 you move the fade rate up the time chart. For +1/2 you can restore lost characteristics or powers: if the characteristic or power is below starting value, the effect of increasing it (up to starting value) does not fade (but is still subject to the maximum effect rule)

For -1/2 you can only add or subtract what you can roll on the dice: the effect is not cumulative to a maximum.

Although considered an instant power, much like mental powers you can maintain an adjustment power by paying END for it each phase, and whilst you do so, the effect does not fade. You need to maintain LOS and stay within range and be conscious to maintain an effect this way.

Constructs reworked with 1d6 being 10 Points instead of 5 Points.

Absorption (9 Points)

Absorption allows one to boost a power up to the dice maximum and only up to the amount of damage suffered from an attack (I'm being deliberately vague here).

• 1d6 (10 Points): 1d6 Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Only Up To Damage Taken (-1/4): May only add up to what was taken in damage.

Aid (15 Points)

• Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)

Drain (13 Points)

• Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)

Healing (10 Points)

Healing allows one to permanently restore a power up to the dice maximum and only up to the maximum of the target power.

• Restoration (+1)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Reuse Restriction (-1/2)

Regeneration (14 Points)

• 1d6 (10 Points): 1d6 Effect (Set Effect = 1 Body) vs Lethal Damage.
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Restoration (+1)
  • No Dice Maximum (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Affects One Power Only (-1/2)
  • Delayed Effect (-1/2): After every post 12 recovery.

Succor (25 Points)

Succor boosts a power as long as endurance is maintained.

• No Dice Maximum (+1/2)

Suppress (30 Points)

Suppress reduces a power as long as endurance is maintained.

• No Dice Maximum (+1/2)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

Transfer (20 Points)

• 1d6 (10 Points): 1d6 Reduction Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Transfer (+1)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

- Christopher Mullins

You did not say - and so I'm assuming - that the defense to an adjustment power is Power Defense. If so' date=' I think it is too cheap in your version to start at 5 points, and it should be re-jigged to 10. If the defense is pd or ed, things could look different.[/quote']

True, I haven't proposed any changes to the Defense construct.

Aid to Succor:

Start with Aid at 10 points. Add continuous +1: 20 points

Now we have 'costs END' and 'Fades instantly if not maintained' I'm putting that at -1/2. Is it just me or is RAW Succor (and Suppress) way too cheap?

That has always been my conclusion of every analysis I've done.

I agree some sort of overhaul is needed.

If we start with slightly different assumptions, what we have here might work well. Part of the problem with adjustment powers is that they work against unusual defenses, and part of the problem is that they allow characters to exceed normal campaign limits, so I think the base cost should be 10, not 5.

I've reworked the constructs with the premise of 1d6 is 10 Points for examination.

Anything else?

- Christopher Mullins

You can add or subtract up to the maximum you can roll on the dice, with multiple rolls, and you can add to that total at 1cp for +2 points. For +1/2 you can add OR subtract. For +1 you can add AND subtract.

I need more clarification on this.

I'll have to think about the rest for a while.

- Christopher Mullins

I need more clarification on this.

I'll have to think about the rest for a while.

- Christopher Mullins

The idea is that, rather than doing transfer with 'addition and reduction', ther is only the one power and you acheive 'transfer' with an advantage.

The second bit lets you build 'healing' i.e. rolls do not accumulate - only the highest has any effect.

The idea is that, rather than doing transfer with 'addition and reduction', ther is only the one power and you acheive 'transfer' with an advantage.

The second bit lets you build 'healing' i.e. rolls do not accumulate - only the highest has any effect.

Aha! Now it makes sense. Hmmm...

- Christopher Mullins

As always, Self Only becomes a major problem.

Constructs reworked with 1d6 being 10 Points instead of 5 Points.

Absorption (9 Points)

So I can pay 9 points to add up to 6 points to my STR temporarily, with no Figured's and only if I get hit (-1/4 seems WAY too low for that...), or I could pay 9 points to have +9 STR all the time. Which seems more cost-effective?

What removes the ability to use an attack action? Absorb and Aid look pretty similar. Does Absorb need a Trigger, making it even more expensive?

Aid (15 Points)

Tack on "Self Only" and it's 10 points to add 6 points of the characteristic using attack actions and having a fade rate. I could buy 6 points of a characteristic usable by others (+1 1/2 self and 16 others simultaneously) with Range (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) for 21 points - that seems a lot more efficient.

Drain (13 Points)

So a point power caps out at 27 points drained...I think I'll stick with Energy Blast.

Healing (10 Points)

Since it's Self Only, it's again pretty limited. Especially since

Regeneration (14 Points)

costs only 40% more, has no limit and requires no attack action. And why is "one power only" a limitation? Do your other powers affect any power I choose?

Transfer (30 Points)

Transfer reduces a target's power and boosts a power up to the dice maximum. (Reduction and Boost are derived from a single roll of the dice)

So a Linked Drain and Aid (self only) cost more than the combined value of Drain and Aid (other people too). That seems to suck, for some reason.

One place to look at this from is effect.

Using power defence as the primary defence is problematic because I have no idea how common power defence is or what an avarage figure is. A lot of characters I see have none at all.

At present 60 points of drain takes away on average 21 character points. In a strength drain that is enough to cripple: 60 STR falls to 40 STR, or thereabouts, and damage from 42 to 28 on avergae. Assuming average defences of about (DCx2) that means damage through defences falls from 18 points to 4: you best have a back up attack.

Anything more than this seems to be too much to me, if it is not too much as it stands. I'm looking at YOU, Suppress.

Aid should probably cost about twice what Drain costs because:

a) it is never defended against AND

B) you are probably adding to a power or characteristic at or near campaign maximum anyway: ramping a 12d6 attack up to 14d6 doesn't seem like much but damage through defences goes up from 18 to 26, and you get a LOT more stun results.

Sure it is cheaper to just BUY more STR than buy Aid to STR but

1) you might well not be allowed to buy more strength than a certain amount AND

2) you can add STR to everyone in the team.

That would be where I'd start, or rather where I'd expect to finish in any overhaul.

"'Originally Posted by schir1964

Drain (13 Points)

Drain allows one to reduce another character's power up to the dice maximum.'

'So a point power caps out at 27 points drained...I think I'll stick with Energy Blast.'"

I didn't know EB could "drain" anything other than stun. Would you mind explaining this statement?

Sure, there's Body too, but you get my point. Drain, even if "overpriced," can drain any stat. This seems useful unless your only strategy ever is "hit them until they stop moving". Also, didn't this new model still use some kind of Power Defense? In unmodified RAW games I've seen plenty of people with high PD/ED and little or no Power Defense. It just seemed that the statement didn't really address a problem with the build as much as it emphasized his own play style.

Sure' date=' there's Body too, but you get my point. Drain, even if "overpriced," can drain any stat. This seems useful unless your only strategy ever is "hit them until they stop moving". Also, didn't this new model still use some kind of Power Defense? In unmodified RAW games I've seen plenty of people with high PD/ED and little or no Power Defense. It just seemed that the statement didn't really address a problem with the build as much as it emphasized his own play style.[/quote']

If Drain is priced to the point that it has minimal or no impact, then it's not viable as an alternative to "hit them until they stop moving". May as well go for Suppress (I'll buy mine without "affects self" to drop it to 25 points per d6) and an enormous END battery (or leave it at 30 by replacing that +1/2 with 0 END).

(Absorbtion) So I can pay 9 points to add up to 6 points to my STR temporarily' date=' with no Figured's and only if I get hit (-1/4 seems WAY too low for that...), or I could pay 9 points to have +9 STR all the time. Which seems more cost-effective?[/quote']

No, you can pay 9 Points to add up to 6 Points to any Power Of SFX (One power at a time).

To compare what you describe above would need to include another limitation: Affects Single Power Only (-1/2)

What removes the ability to use an attack action? Absorb and Aid look pretty similar. Does Absorb need a Trigger' date=' making it even more expensive?[/quote']

An attack gives control to the player of when the power is used. Absorbtion by definition removes the control from the player.

So if you think both these components need to be made into mechanics, suggest some values and I'll see how they work out. And to be mechanically consistent, both must exist in order to add/remove from any power.

(Aid) Tack on "Self Only" and it's 10 points to add 6 points of the characteristic using attack actions and having a fade rate. I could buy 6 points of a characteristic usable by others (+1 1/2 self and 16 others simultaneously) with Range (+1/2)' date=' Persistent (+1/2) for 21 points - that seems a lot more efficient.[/quote']

If you can get the GM to allow this, fine. Just like I'm going to allow a player to purchase the existing Succor with Zero END Persistent (not going to happen).

Remember, once a power exceeds +2 in Advantages, it becomes an automatic Stop Sign power (at least in my games). GM permission only.

(Drain) So a point power caps out at 27 points drained...I think I'll stick with Energy Blast.

No Dice Maximum (+1/2): 8 Points

Drain is not comparable to Energy Blast since the mechanics work very differently.

(Healing) Since it's Self Only' date=' it's again pretty limited.[/quote']

Depends on what the GM defines as the normal time for the power to restore naturally.

(Regeneration) Especially since costs only 40% more' date=' has no limit and requires no attack action. And why is "one power only" a limitation? Do your other powers affect any power I choose?[/quote']

See above and my original post. If you want to see the costs for the powers that exactly mimic the current ones, then use the mechanics I've provided to do so. This is an overhaul, not necessarily a exact mimic of the original powers.

Therefore:

I think Drain should have a cap.

Adjustment Powers should by default affect SFXs not mechanics.

And so forth...

So a Linked Drain and Aid (self only) cost more than the combined value of Drain and Aid (other people too). That seems to suck' date=' for some reason.[/quote']

Perhaps. Sean has proposed another possible mechanic that I'm evaluating.

- Christopher Mullins

Added following mechanic to handle Transfer instead.

Transfer (+1, +1 1/2): Effect that decreases target's ability also increases one single power of the owner's which must be defined at purchase (+1). Effect that decreases the target's ability also increases a single power of SFX (one at a time) which must be defined at purchase (+1 1/2).

At 5 Points per 1d6:

Transfer (10 Points)

• 1d6 (5 Points): 1d6 Reduction Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Transfer (+1)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

At 10 Points per 1d6.

Transfer (20 Points)

• 1d6 (10 Points): 1d6 Reduction Effect vs SFX (one power at a time).
  • Zero Endurance (+1/2)
  • Persistent (+1/2)
  • Instant Power (-1/2)
  • Transfer (+1)
  • Ranged (+1/2)

Note: Values of modifiers can be tweaked as needed.

- Christopher Mullins

• 2 weeks later...