A question concerning Analyze

mcgreeno

I'm currently running a solo galatic champions game.. My player has a power that has just recently been bringing up questions

Sight bought with Dis.. and Analyze..

He also has microscopic, and telescopic..

My questions is simple.. What should the descriptions be..

The example in the 5th uses a detect Metals...so it is pretty clear their..

However how should I run Plain old normal sight .. and does sight alread include Discrimitory??

LOVE some advice guys, on how to run this power..so far I've just been doing nothing with it...lol

thanks in Advance..

Re: A question concerning Analyze

Actually, the rule says

The Discriminatory effect provided by the Sight Group is not the full Discriminatory obtained by buying that Sense Modifier, but rather an effect of somewhat cruder degree. For example, a character can tell two people apart based on their visual appearance, but cannot always determine a person's ethnicity or religion through Sight.

Basically with Discriminatory and especially Analyze, the character gets a lot more information than just "regular" eyesight. The question of course is what that extra information should be.

Some examples:

A small bonus to Perception rolls vs Images (unless the person creating the Image has the same enhanced sense. It's hard to create an image of something if you don't know what it looks like, and the Imagineer probably doesn't know what anything really looks like to someone with Analyze on Sight.)

Immune to most mirages and optical illusions.

Good judge of distance (perhaps not as good as Absolute Range Sense.)

Ability to look at a person, or animal or object, and judge several of their dimensions - i.e. guessing a person's height or weight even from several hexes away, knowing right away that this sofa won't fit through that doorway, or judging which of several differently shaped tables has the largest surface area.

Judging speed - looking at a car on the road, or even a plane if there are clouds to measure its movement against, and knowing how fast it's moving.

Enhanced color perception. This might be fun if at least two characters have the ability; you could do an "invisible ink" trick by using ink that matches the shade of the paper so closely that it's indistinguishable to normal sight.

Lucius Alexander

Making Sense of a palindromedary

The problem here is that we have no real frame of reference: it is easy to imagine super strength, it is really pretty difficult to imagine analytical vision.

There are a couple of approaches you could take.

First assume that it works like some cool piece of technology, you know, put a green wash over it all and have little circles round points of interests with lines off to text entries. Cool, indeed, but not that useful.

Second, ask the player what sort of additional information he wants to get. He might want some sort of spectrographic analysis, or he might want to be able to zoom in on points of interest, or he might want to be able to look at someone and tell what mood they are in.

Thing is at least two of those are probably best done with something other that sight+analyse. If he wants to be able to read body language, buy a skill. If he wants the zoom, buy telescopic.

Thing is Hero is NOT a game where you buy a power and then ask 'what does it do?', Hero is a game where you decide what you want a power to do then buy it. If you see what I mean :)

Lucius gives some good examples, and I really like 'immune to illusions' - this guy has vision that is MUCH better than most humans, and most holograms won't be designed to be perceived by someone with that kind of sense. What might look like a real person holding a gun on you to Jane Average looks like a flickery, low rez joke to Joe Eyesight.

As a GM I'd just give the character Absolute Range Sense on a Perception roll. They've paid more than that Talent costs (and it's assumed to work automatically). Another possibility is to be extremely generous with allowing visual perception rolls to be complimentary to many other task maybe with large penalties for particularly extreme things but allowing a roll none the less. Interrogation, for example The character might notice the blood vessels in the subject's eyes dilate when she's lying or her skin tone shift by minute degree.