Catch the Punch

Peregrine

Like the title says, it's the classic "catch the punch and crush the hand" trick. How to do it?

First thought is to Hold your Phase and declare Grab and Squeeze when the opponent throws a Punch. The problem there is that feels more like a Block, Grab, and Squeeze, which IIRC isn't allowed.

Another way would be that the catch is the SFX for a Block, and the Grab and Squeeze is the followup attack, with the Block's "go first vs that attacker". The problem here is the timing between the catch (Block) and the (Grab and) Squeeze, as they would have to be on separate phases.

A third possibility would be a Multiple Attack, but I don't recall if Block can be used in a Multiple Attack.

Can any one of the many whose rule fu exceeds mine assist me?

Re: Catch the Punch

If you have The Ultimate Martial Artist you could build a Grab One Limb maneuver with an Abort and a Follow-Up Crush maneuver.

EDIT: The Grappling Block already exists; for 5-points you get +1 OCV, +1 DCV. You block the incoming attack and grab One Limb.

The Crush already exists too: For 4-points you get STR +4d6 crush, must follow grab.

This ought to work the way you had in mind. If you Block you get to act before your opponent in the next Phase regardless of whose DEX is actually higher. You simply let them attack grab their incoming fist and then crush it next phase before they can act again.

Grappling block is probably the most efficient way to go.

However, every time I've seen it done in the source material, there always seems to be that moment in between the catching of the fist, and the 'catchee' being hurt. So Block followed by Grab and Squeeze seems the most appropriate way to do it... to me, anyway. YMMV.

Don't forget if you use any of the exotic blocks, block/throw, block/grab, block/strike there is no abort element. You have to have a held phase to use 'em.

That means you need to buy two blocks, expensive, be really quick, expensive or just rely on your bog standard block when you need to abort. Realistically that probably means you have an exotic block and dodge when you need to abort.