Modern Island of Dr. Destroyer

hawkfu

Hi,

I'm starting a new game. A UN super team kind of set up. I wanted to weave in and update stuff from previous games - mix the new with the familiar (presented in a new way). That got me thinking about the Island of Dr. Destroyer - which got me thinking about Cobra Island from G. I. Joe. I thought combining those ideas would be a pretty cool idea. I'm trying to figure out what kind of legal mumbo jumbo to throw at them to make the Island legal at the end of the adventure - ala Cobra Island.

Any thoughts on how to handle this type of thing? Thanks for reading.

wlg

Re: Modern Island of Dr. Destroyer

Mind control, lots of well placed bribes could work in the voting proccess. You could alternately end it with Dr Destroyer "Killed" and a new government that swears to have no connection with Destroyer. Make it become a refugee camp for persecuted people of all people, and you've got a dead yes.

The truth however is that Destroyer is controlling the government covertly, and he mind controls any new immigrants to be loyal only to his command, and defend the island at all costs.

Any of this helpful?

Mind control, lots of well placed bribes could work in the voting proccess. You could alternately end it with Dr Destroyer "Killed" and a new government that swears to have no connection with Destroyer. Make it become a refugee camp for persecuted people of all people, and you've got a dead yes.

The truth however is that Destroyer is controlling the government covertly, and he mind controls any new immigrants to be loyal only to his command, and defend the island at all costs.

Any of this helpful?

Absolutely!

In a game I ran, I had one of the campaign's shady corporations build an artificial island in international waters, then invade a small African nation (supposely, a former leader of that nation asked the corp for help). The rebel leaders turned over control to the corp after the coup, at which time they petitioned to join the U.N. The U.S. attempted to destroy the island HQ with an orbital laser strike, only to find out that the corp had large-scale force-field technology. The international outcry against the attack made the vote lopsided in their favor, and the U.S. abstained instead of using their veto power (as part of a deal to prevent the U.N. from going after them for the strike).

Whatever you do, Dr. Destroyer has so much notority that you should make it appear that he is out of the picture - at least for the short-term.

In a game I ran, I had one of the campaign's shady corporations build an artificial island in international waters, then invade a small African nation (supposely, a former leader of that nation asked the corp for help). The rebel leaders turned over control to the corp after the coup, at which time they petitioned to join the U.N. The U.S. attempted to destroy the island HQ with an orbital laser strike, only to find out that the corp had large-scale force-field technology. The international outcry against the attack made the vote lopsided in their favor, and the U.S. abstained instead of using their veto power (as part of a deal to prevent the U.N. from going after them for the strike).

Whatever you do, Dr. Destroyer has so much notority that you should make it appear that he is out of the picture - at least for the short-term.

wow, that's great. Seriously, thanks for sharing that!

Hi,

I'm starting a new game. A UN super team kind of set up. I wanted to weave in and update stuff from previous games - mix the new with the familiar (presented in a new way). That got me thinking about the Island of Dr. Destroyer - which got me thinking about Cobra Island from G. I. Joe. I thought combining those ideas would be a pretty cool idea. I'm trying to figure out what kind of legal mumbo jumbo to throw at them to make the Island legal at the end of the adventure - ala Cobra Island.

Any thoughts on how to handle this type of thing? Thanks for reading.

wlg

this makes a good question

Oh, its just that the stats for Destruga II give it a defense of. . . 6. Even with a Body of 1000, that means it can be sunk by a bunch of fighter jets emptying vulcan cannons ( about 4d6 RKA ) into it, and given how big it is, they can fire from considerable range and still hit every time with every possible autofire hit.

It has a decent array of defensive blasters and point defense lasers, so ordinary fighter jets would have a hard time getting within range, yes. For something that is not stealthy at *all* ( a Darkness vs Radio that's roughly the size and shape of the island does *not* count ), not especially fast, and is usually found far far away from any collateral damage? Dr Destroyer really should better armor and shield something against which people will likely be tossing nuclear warheads. Massive Body may keep the island floating, but it won't keep the surface installations from being fried.

Or basically, Destruga II is wonky, much like pretty much every vehicle writeup in 5e.