Metahumans Rising: The Darker Side of Hero Life

Certified

Looks like there might be a new team in operating out of the Arlington area. A covert ops team of Metahumans who to the outside world don't exist. Shadowy heroes operating for a mysterious benefactor with powerful government ties. When it can't be proven in court, and there's no legal recourse it's time to activate Project D.

Characters would be built using the normal Metahumans Rising guidelines, these are heroes that may encounter very hard choices where right and wrong are not always clear cut, the line between Good and Evil will often be blurred. Do you have what it takes to still be a hero when everything goes gray?

Metahumans Rising is listed on Hero Central and is now accepting new players. The character creation guidelines are listed there but short and sweat 200 +150...

Re: Metahumans Rising: The Darker Side of Hero Life

The Defenders in the News

Posted in Sunday edition of The Arlington Sentinel, New York Times, New York Post, USA Today and the Wall Street Journal

Sunday January 24, 1999.

The multi-national enterprise Dynamic Biotech Corp has announced today that they will be scaling back operations in marketing after the release of two researchers linked to the recent attacks in the city of Arlington, VA.

The announcement comes as no surprise and it seems Marketing guru Robert Geirheart will be looking forward to his new role as Vice President of Marketing at the Institute for Metahuman Research (IMR) after being absolved of charges for Insider Trading, Corporate Fraud and Aiding in the Recent Hijacking of DBC equipment. It is clear to say he has certainly fallen up.

In addition to their cut backs DBC has announced they will be sponsoring a Six Bridges Relief Fund with an initial donation of four million dollars to help pay for damages done by former employee Victoria Hawthorn. It is unclear at this time what caused her Metahuman transformation DBC researchers are currently working with her now to help rehabilitate Victoria.

In related news Andrew St. James a lobbyist and lead researcher for DBC has called for a unified first response team to handle Metahuman and Terrorist threats such as the Humans Now! organization who have been accused of orchestrating the recent attacks on the Six Bridges District of Arlington.

Although a known lobbyist for DBC Andrew stated in a recent interview that his call for a first response team is not related to the company’s recent loss of face, it comes from his love for the arts and the city of Arlington itself. Whatever the case may be Arlington is in for some changes. From what out sources can gather this super team is comprised of Metahumans responsible for the defense of the Six Bridges district during the recent attacks.

What are they calling themselves? Simply, The Defenders. They’ve set themselves a high mark to follow, let’s hope these heroes can live up to their name.

- Walter Karr

Inauguration News

The Arlington Sentinel, Tuesday, February 2nd, 1999

It is will mixed emotions I write this. As a journalist I find it sometimes difficult to distance myself from the story, especially if I'm part of it. Yesterday was the inaugural ceremony for Arlington's new team of heroes the Defenders. As I'm sure has been well documented by now the events of the day were interrupted by the appearance of a Metahuman identified as Snow Maiden and a robot of unknown origin.

While the Defenders fought admirably to protect those gathered I am saddened to report this attack was a in fact a lovers quarrel between one of out cities new champions and a former girlfriend as revealed to me by an inside source. Do we need defense from super powered threats? Maybe. Do we the citizens of Arlington need to be subjected to super powered feuds by jilted lovers? Absolutely not.

My investigations have revealed that our lady, Snow Maiden has been secured and is awaiting a psychological evaluation at the DBC compound. As one who is not known for having a short memory I ask my readers to weight these events accordingly. Defenders consider this, as much as Arlington may need your protection are we ready for the price it brings?

As a supporter I leave you with this: Defenders, the city of Arlington is in your debt. We hope that this recent event was an isolated incident.

- Walter Karr

The Real Defenders?

Thursday, February 18th, 1999

Commercials begin appearing on the local stations for a hard line attack show, The Wright Report with William Wright on WJLA. The show is not new however, the ads claim to have video of the Defenders at their best and that they will be airing the tape on the Friday February 26th show. This is followed by a black screen with only the following audio: "Know what temperature gasoline burns at doc? I bet ya do. You're a smart guy."

Freedom Fighters or Fascists?

Posted in Saturday edition of The Arlington Sentinel

Saturday, March 1, 1999

It’s hard to say how this reporter feels about the video that surfaced and the battle at the WJLA studios. We have seen both the best and the worst of what our great nation is capable of. From the shadows of the past to the horrors that have been reborn.

Those of us who are old enough remember the villain wrapped in a flag War Eagle from the sixties and seventies. After having disappeared for almost two decades his dramatic reemergence can only hold a candle to the shocking reasons for his return. Although it has yet to be confirmed it is believed that the tape aired Friday’s Wright Report, showing the Defender Freedom prodding a captive’s open wound in an attempt to gain cooperation, was part of MCPD evidence from a witness protection case.

It would seem that William Wright and the staff at WJLA were held hostage by War Eagle and two other men, although I use this term lightly. The Metahuman identified as Minute Man is to put it mildly an army of one, able to replicate himself an untold number of times. The other accomplice code name Ground Pounder was seen able to hold his own against several members of the Defenders along with an unknown Empowered Normal using the name Hardware.

The hostage situation was brought to an abrupt close when the Defender’s arrived on the scene and prompted the territorial trio to actually play the tape. Thankfully there were no casualties although several of the station workers were injured during the siege. What may be the most disturbing is that since the events at WJLA, Freedom who helped to save those trapped at the station has been formally brought up on charges and be placed in MCPD custody.

You may ask why it was only after this information was made public that the Metahuman hero was brought up on charges? It would seem that the state prison isn’t the only building with a revolving door. Was we reported on the seventeenth the MCPD reported a break in at one of their facilities and case evidence had been stolen. So far Wright has not been charged and he along with WJLA have been in full cooperation with the MCPD investigators. What does this mean for the city of Arlington? Only time will tell, but if the public outcry is any indication the hands of justice will be moving quickly.

- Walter Karr

Thanks, I just wanted to share a little background on how things were progressing and how the idea of a new team came up. Although the news reports don't give you everything that happened they are more like public opinion highlights after the fact. Snippets that I wrote for the players. I thought they might give an interesting feel taken out of context as normal reader might see them.

Hmmm... this character's alien DNA is supposed to come from an amphibious insectoid species... Maybe they could be related?

I'll get something to you this weekend. The character is a scrapper/mentalist whose main power, however, is superhuman alien intellect (INT 28).